Gun covers

No experience with Dall sheep or Alaska sadly.

i have one of those solo hunter covers. It stays at home or in the truck more than it gets used. I could see it having some value in snow to keep the scope and action clear. I tape my barrel regardless to avoid a plugged bore. I more often bring a neoprene scope boot that covers the entire optic for the hike in and out. TBH, when I rifle hunt it is with a stainless tikka and I don’t mind scratches and scuffs. Others with nicer guns might care a bit more for the protections d be will to add the weight.

Poser

WKR
I have the Solo Hunter cover and use it extensively. I’m not going to sweat by it because it’s the only one I have used, but having the rifle covered does seem to place other Trail users more at ease. Sometimes people even seem to think it’s a fishing rod.

fishslap

WKR
Any experience with the gun slicker? A little cheaper.
I sold my solo hunter cover and bought the gun slicker. I think I used it in the rain/snow once and it was fine. It fits and is adjustable to my rifles, muzzleloader and shotguns. I mainly use it to cover my shotgun from hippie fear while hiking into my super secret ptarmigan spot. The solo hunter was tough but too tight on most of my rifles. The gun slicker is not as durable but no problem for my use over several years.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I keep a rapid rifle cover and Kifaru large pack cover in the Kifaru pouch that the cover came in. Super small and nice to have both on rainy hunts.

Ralphie

WKR
Tape the muzzle. Use something quick easy and light to cover lenses, maybe. The main purpose of the gun cozies are to sell you something.

I'm a little late to this too, but I bought a Du-Ha Dri Hide gun cover from etrailer.com. The model # 90501 I paid about $30, but it looks like it's available for less than that if you shop around. It has double velcro closures on the butt end, and comes with a sling strap that can be removed. Sorry, don't know how to post a link here (or anywhere for that matter).
I have used it for several years, and it protects the rifle from rain, and mostly dust which covers everything where I hunt (New Mexico). We get around on the Ranch on a Pioneer sideXside, and the dust gets so thick you can't tell we are wearing camo. I couldn't/wouldn't hunt without it.

j33

WKR
I bought a solo hunter and it’s over 9oz. Will only use it in the thick brush or snowy conditions, otherwise my 1oz neoprene scope cover works.