Gun decision

Huntsalot

FNG
I'm in a pickle and not sure what to do. I ordered a Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor from Euro-optic's in February 2021 and there's no end in sight for when I might actually receive it. I'm sick of waiting. I'm lucky that I get to stop into EuroOptics and play around and I'm starting to think I should buy a different one. I have it narrowed down to the guns below but the Weatherby is not one I've been able to hold, it's being sold from a website.

I've read tons of threads on this forum as well as others. It seems that most guns have fan boys and haters. I'm not sure what direction I should go. Any help is appreciated.

I was hoping to have a good shooting, somewhat lightweight rifle topped with a NF NX8 2.5-20 that I can shoot deer up to 500yds. I'm partial to the Sako even though it's a pound heavier than the original Kimber.

Sako Finnlight, 6.5 Creedmoor
6.2 lbs
$1,749

Seekins Havok PH2, 6.5 Creedmoor
6.9 lbs
$1,795

Weatherby Mark V backcountry midnight special, 6.5 Creedmoor
5.4 lbs (I believe)
$1,750

** I guess I should add the Christensen Arms Mesa as well
6.65lbs
$1,299

Last edited:
Seems like you've waited long enough. If you've held and like the Sako, I'd pull the trigger. If you had a real ETA on the Kimber, I might wait, but I don't have patience for indefinite waiting times.

What is your target finished weight including scope? I'd look at that and then see what fits the bill.

You can save about $1K and grab a T3X Lite or SuperLite. They shoot exceptionally well and depending on ammo selection, there's no issues taking deer to 500 yards and beyond (excluding skillset). That extra $1K can be applied to the scope, go to the pocket, or more than pay for many popular Tikka upgrades.

davsco

WKR
basic tikka t3x will get it done. i got one of those and then later upgraded it with a proof carbon prefit barrel and a mesa altitude stock that fits the wider carbon barrel. and that turned out so good i've done it again, so now 6.5 creed and 300 wsm.

Gila

WKR
basic tikka t3x will get it done. i got one of those and then later upgraded it with a proof carbon prefit barrel and a mesa altitude stock that fits the wider carbon barrel. and that turned out so good i've done it again, so now 6.5 creed and 300 wsm.
6.5 PRC is a much better hunting cartridge especially for deer. Tikka Veil will give you what you want for $1200. Or get a T3x lite in SS for $800 and upgrade. A Tikka barrel is a Sako barrel.

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Of the ones you listed, the Sako. Though I would pick up a Tikka and throw on a quality scope and go hunt.

Maki35

WKR
As you said... "I'm partial to the Sako."

Forget about waiting, get the Sako.

OP
H

Huntsalot

FNG
If you originally wanted a controlled round feed get you a Winchester Extreme Weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I'm not picky. I just liked the feel of the Montana. My only requirement is accuracy. I focus much more on my scouting/hunting than my shooting.

That Winchester is intriguing though. I'll have to try to find one to hold.

nobody

WKR
Not sure if you have a Sportsman's Warehouse in your area, but they have the Christensen Mesa on sale for $1049.99, which is $50 less than an employee discount cost! If that interests you at all!

cmahoney

WKR
If you are only looking to shoot 500 yards you could save some cash and half a pound by going with a 10X scope over the NX8.

OP
H

Huntsalot

FNG
What is your target finished weight including scope? I'd look at that and then see what fits the bill.
I don't have a particular weight in mind. I just don't want it to feel like a cinder block. I prefer the feel of a nice stock, I think that's the only thing holding me back from a Tikka and I don't really want to mess around with fitting an aftermarket stock.

I am keeping my eyes peeled for a Tikka in .223 though.

OP
H

Huntsalot

FNG
If you are only looking to shoot 500 yards you could save some cash and half a pound by going with a 10X scope over the NX8.

I totally understand the advice and appreciate it but there's a zero chance of that happening. I love zooming in. I killed a buck a few weeks ago at 75 yards on 12X.

I don't have a particular weight in mind. I just don't want it to feel like a cinder block. I prefer the feel of a nice stock, I think that's the only thing holding me back from a Tikka and I don't really want to mess around with fitting an aftermarket stock.

I am keeping my eyes peeled for a Tikka in .223 though.
I'd drop the $ 750 on a ss tikka and get a $650 Mesa altitude for it.
Mine was a 100% drop in without any mods needed, i did bed the recoil lug but that took 30 minutes.
If weight doesn't matter then the PH2 would be my choice, they use Rock Creek barrels which are high quality and known to be fast

I would have gone weatherby if they made left hand models in a caliber that had easy ammo access the past year and a half. That gun is a beaut, Clark. I still may get one if I get the itch.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
That Mark V would be a shooter no doubt. Sako makes a great rifle too though. I don’t think you have a bad choice in the group but of those choices I’d go Weatherby. I have a Mark V in 6.5wby RPM and absolutely love that rifle and grab that one more often then not when heading out now to hunt.