Gun dog first aid

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
I’m thinking I should put together a field first aid kit for my pooch. This is my first time doing something this specific vs just throwing a few random things in my pack. Along the lines of foot care and minor injustices, what do you all carry for preventative and in case of emergency supplies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
Depending on if you plan on carrying it out in the field or nearby the truck I would consider pedialyte or something similar. I used to have a lab that would sometimes get heat stroke especially during dove season (early) had several scares where I had to carry him to the truck and rush to the nearest vet where they would shoot him up with steroids and put him in an ice bath.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some hemostats so when they get in a porcupine you can remove the quills. I carried a 70 lb dog 3 miles in my arms back to the truck. Pulled out 110 quills. She lost a few teeth because of it! Also some bandaging. My male got into something that cut the hell out of his leg. Looked like I was trailing an elk instead of trying to find my dog. Some betadine too?

Another time that same male jumped 6ft off a logging road and landed right on a stick. Went straight into his chest. I could have stuck both my thumbs into his chest, 2” deep. With splinters all over. That dog cost me so much money over the years.

Warmsy

WKR
Yeah my dog had been expensive, too. A few weeks ago had to get breast cancer removed...

My dog will get something like blisters on long, hot hikes. I carry those paw protectors if the terrain starts to get dicey.

When my dog broke her femur, they advised me against splinting our setting the leg. Tourniquets would have limited use... I don't think there's a whole lot you can or should do to your dog aside from basic wound care, shade and rest, water.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
SWAT-T both for tourniquet and pressure dressing. Hemostatic gauze (Celox). Forceps. Lanolin. Syringe for washing wounds.