Gun / Outdoor Dog Recurring Meds?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure the best place to post this as we don't have a specific spot so I thought I would start here. : )

Curious as to what other hunting dog owners, or even those whose dogs just spend a lot of time in the outdoors, use for regular medications.
Assumption is the vet does all your regular vaccines, just looking for what folks use for the heart-worm, flea tick stuff and where you find the best prices.

We have used both Bravecto and Nexguard for Flea / Tick Prevention. Have used Frontline before, but prefer the chewable vs the greasy streak on the back of the next. For heart-worm we have used Heartguard. Best prices I have found usually have me using 1-800 Pet Meds

I have read a variety of opinions on the effectiveness and side effects. Curious as to what other use or have experienced.

For a data point, we have a 2 year old 73lb Male Pudelpointer.
We have not seen any side effects as of yet, and no fleas and ticks.

NEhunter

WKR
I’ve been using heartguard for heart worm, usually get it from the vet because of convenience. I’ll use frontline for ticks when needed if they are bad I can’t keep up with pulling them off but rather not put that stuff on my dog if I can avoid it. Currently have a 2 year old drahthaar.
2b0f185bac93efb10b486dc8c3022308.jpg
0883ab09cdde435cee5cb508c9958ebd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been giving my lab bravecto the past 2 years. I manage a large chunk of ground and he is outside with me most days. Plus pheasant hunting most weekends during our season. It seems to work well on the ticks and he hasn’t had any side effects so far.

Last edited:
As the Vet in residence, it all really depends on where you live. Heartgard is tried and true, but there are better products for similar price. Sentinel and Interceptor are basically the same product. Use one of those plus Nexgard or Bravecto and your dog is set.

Use Sentinel and Bravecto for my dog. Real bad flea issue here in Columbia, SC. Topicals here: just burn your money for same effect

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
As the Vet in residence, it all really depends on where you live. Heartgard is tried and true, but there are better products for similar price. Sentinel and Interceptor are basically the same product. Use one of those plus Nexgard or Bravecto and your dog is set.

Use Sentinel and Bravecto for my dog. Real bad flea issue here in Columbia, SC. Topicals here: just burn your money for same effect

Thanks Doc!! ;) good info. I'll check out those heart worm alternatives!

JPD350

WKR
I've used Heartguard and Frontline plus but I could probably get by with just the heartguard,
my dog is so fast the fleas and ticks can't catch him............LOL20180203_153705.jpg

I use interceptor plus and use a seresto collar. Haven't had the first flea or tick for 5 years on my dog from the seresto collar. Kind of crazy but it works as far as I can see.

I use interceptor plus and use a seresto collar. Haven't had the first flea or tick for 5 years on my dog from the seresto collar. Kind of crazy but it works as far as I can see.

Like I said, all depends where you live. Seresto works good for some areas. I’ve seen numerous dogs with a fresh Seresto collar and fleas on its tailhead.