Gun safe electronic locks?

I’m looking to upgrade my gun storage and the vast majority I see have electronic keypad locks. Maybe I’m just a Luddite but I can just imagine getting ready to leave for a hunt and some electronics failure locking me out. Are my fears well founded or should I stick to mechanical locks?

Button

WKR
I have the same thoughts. My mechanical dial safe hasn’t had a problem in 20 years. However I am looking for a bigger safe.

robtattoo

WKR
I've had 1 failure with an electronic lock in a cheap safe. It was great for 9 years, then it wasn't.
Luckily- and I believe this is universal- 2 Phillips screws & the electronics come off to reveal a keyhole.

I had to strip the door to fully replace the lock. I had it done in less than an hour though & the replacement was only $30

I have both and have had 0 issues with my electronic lock.
Many safes and vault doors now have an option to have both a traditional mechanical lock as well as an electronic lock installed. Fast access for when you need it and reliable back up.

Mine cam with a big key. You can remove the keypad to access if need be.

Now its been trouble free for about 12 yrs so who knows where they key is?

Depending on you proximity to OKC, look up Bear Safes. They’re as good as it gets. Keyed access only.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
Here in Utah county we have four manufacturers of gun safes. (There might be more). I just grabbed a scratch and dent 50 inch safe for 1400 from liberty. My brother went over and got the cabelas “fat boy“ 1450.

PNWGATOR

WKR
We have high end electronic lock safes at work for accessing medications. We access them multiple times daily. After failures with several units over the years, all of my personal safes are mechanical or dial.

Yea Ive had too many issues with electric locks. No thanks. I run S/G locks in my two safes now. A good combination last lifetimes, Chinese electronics I trust as much as gas station sushi.

Last edited:
When talking to a safe dealer awhile back he showed me mechanical and electronic lock mechanisms from different safes and explained that there’s cheap versions of both and good versions of both. I think if you get a quality brand and spend the money either is probably going to be plenty good and reliable. I like the convenience of a electronic safe and have had a couple for several years without issue. I figure if all else fails, really most gun “safes” unless you spend serious money are really sheet metal cabinets with heavy doors and easily broke into one way or another, the YouTube videos on such things are pretty eye opening and unfortunately show how vulnerable they can be unless you really invest in a real safe.

Rich M

WKR
Get a safe with a backup key. Many electric safes have these but they dont tell you.

i had one fail and for $30 they sent us a key. Specifically replaced it with a safe w backup key. Sleep better at night now.

I had your concerns when I bought my electronic keypad safe 13 years ago. Since then, the only times I worried when the keypad was unresponsive turned out to be old batteries. I am not in the market for a new safe so I haven't seen the latest models, but I don't know what kind of dial safe options are even available these days.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I had a failure on a good safe with a keypad. Cost me $200 (and damage to the safe) to get it opened and a dial installed. Locksmith said he would never trust the keypads. Saying that, I just helped my brother in law move in a new safe. Had the keypad with a key backup. Seems like it could be a good solution.