Gun safe in a basement okay?

Gorp2007

WKR
Almost watched my gun safe kill a pair of guys when they lost control while it was heading down the stairs into the basement. They were from a local moving company and I was paying them but they clearly weren't professionals. After that it lived on the master bedroom, but next move it'll end up in the garage.

WBrim

WKR
I never was to worried about the basement location of my safe. I’m in a very dry place tho. It was indeed a chore to get it down there! But that’s where my office/gear room is. If it was any bigger, I think I would have to find a place on the main floor.

WBrim

WKR
Almost watched my gun safe kill a pair of guys when they lost control while it was heading down the stairs into the basement. They were from a local moving company and I was paying them but they clearly weren't professionals. After that it lived on the master bedroom, but next move it'll end up in the garage.
Moving mine down went smooth, but I was worried about just that problem! I wonder how often someone gets slammed moving a safe?

dtchhuntr

FNG
Moving mine down went smooth, but I was worried about just that problem! I wonder how often someone gets slammed moving a safe?
Mine was heavier than company policy and owner signed off on the exception. Huge movers that almost hurt themselves very badly and they laid on the floor afterwards. Main guy looked at me and said if you ever move, that SOB is staying with the house.

grfox92

WKR
I think the big thing people are missing in this thread is that the OPs location is in Maine. A lot of people are responding that their safe is in the basement and they don't have an issue. If you live in a dry climate like the western states, that comparison means literally nothing.

Maine has an average humidity of 71.7% and is the 10th most humid state in the country. Some people have mentioned the heat rods that go in the safe. If you decide to do it I would highly recommend looking into them. I wish I had known about them in the past.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

dtchhuntr

FNG
I think the big thing people are missing in this thread is that the OPs location is in Maine. A lot of people are responding that their safe is in the basement and they don't have an issue. If you live in a dry climate like the western states, that comparison means literally nothing.

Maine has an average humidity of 71.7% and is the 10th most humid state in the country. Some people have mentioned the heat rods that go in the safe. If you decide to do it I would highly recommend looking into them. I wish I had known about them in the past.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Totally valid point. I'm in Iowa though and we are top 6 in relative humidity. With the right precautions and safe, no issues at all.

meddlecho

FNG
I’m in MN and during the summer months when it’s ungodly humid I run a dehumidifier and have golden rods in both safes, haven’t had an issue with moisture in my 110 year old basement.

TheHammer

WKR
I have both my safes in the basement. I built a platform for them to sit on to raise them up. I run the desiccant bags. Pretty frequently run the dehumidifier, spring -fall. If I’m going to be opening a safe for any reason, I typically run the dehumidifier a couple hours before, as most safes trap moisture.

Rich M

WKR
Be smart, dessicants and you’ll be fine.

Great place to have safe, especially if access is limited.

DavidReed

FNG
Moved to Maine several months ago and am living the dream. Finally getting into our home and like most places here it has a basement. It's a nice, dry, concrete basement but it is cooler and more humid than the main house. I plan to have my reloading bench in the basement, but I'm wondering if I should have my gun safe down there. I'd sure hate to open it one day and find one of my old rifles rusting.

What say you? Am I worried about nothing? Are there precautions I could take? Should I just put the safe in the house?
I have one in the basement, though we do have a walk-out which made some aspects of getting it in easier. A couple of thoughts around this:
1. Size & weight of your safe? Can your stairs handle the loading from the safe?

2. Find a a outfit that only moves safes and get their assessment if it's possible to get it into your basement and how much $$$ involved so no one gets hurt. (SAVTA.org is a good resource)

3. Get a stall mat to put on the slab (under the safe). This a good moisture barrier to isolate your safe from moisture wicking up through the concrete slab.

OP
Newtosavage
Gun safe is small and my wife and I already put it in the basement. So no worries there. Your suggestion of a stall mat is a good one. I'm going to put a layer of bricks under the safe, then the stall mat then the gun safe. That will get it up off the basement floor in the event of a waterline break and should provide a good moisture barrier from the concrete floor. I think I'll drop in one of those $40 dehumidifiers too. Looks easy enough to do. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Now I have to finish my basement work bench!

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
Just use a dehumidifier in the muggy summer months, and a golden rod in the safe all year and you will be fine. I live on cape cod and it's humid as hell, and my safe is in the basement. Zero issues but the golden rod is key.

Dmbjr

FNG
Moved to Maine several months ago and am living the dream. Finally getting into our home and like most places here it has a basement. It's a nice, dry, concrete basement but it is cooler and more humid than the main house. I plan to have my reloading bench in the basement, but I'm wondering if I should have my gun safe down there. I'd sure hate to open it one day and find one of my old rifles rusting.

What say you? Am I worried about nothing? Are there precautions I could take? Should I just put the safe in the house?
With a dehumidifier you should be fine we had one in basement for years no issues.

Sbrum25

FNG
Like others have said I use a dehumidifier in the basement and the guns and reloading supplies have held up well over the years.