Gun safe??

johnsd16

WKR
Getting around to getting a bigger safe and am not into huge, heavy, expensive safes with long fire ratings. I worked at a place that sold tons of brownings and treadlocks and I’ve had their training over and over back in the day and want a good secure safe but the fire stuff matters little to me.

So, the real question I have and what I struggle with is finding a decent safe that has a DIAL rather than a keypad. I just can’t get myself to a place where I can stand the electronic keypad over a mechanical spin dial. I can’t seem to find anything.

Any input on who is making a decent locking safe in the 30-36” range with a dial?

I can’t speak to the dial part, but I just got a Steelwater gun safe, and it seems to be quite solid and well made. Not sure if they have a dial option or not.

Winchester Pony series still makes mechanical locks. I agree that is the way to go unless the keypad has a key backup.

Grumman

WKR
I converted my electronic one to a dial lock. It was a fun project and wasn’t too bad to do. Don’t count that out as an option if you find a good deal on an electronic one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I had a local safe guy convert my keypad to dial after the keypad failed....closed of course. Charged a couple of hundred including breaking into the safe. Will never buy a keypad again.

OP
johnsd16

johnsd16

WKR
Thanks for all the tips. With everyone chiming in and thinking the same (dials good/keypads suck) why are 95% of the safes you see out there keypads?! I just don’t trust them.

Thanks for all the tips. With everyone chiming in and thinking the same (dials good/keypads suck) why are 95% of the safes you see out there keypads?! I just don’t trust them.

Safe company sells for same price and makes $100 more profit. Cause keypads are dirt cheap to make. A quality dial is a machining work of art, and that costs money. Also folks originally wanted the convenience of a keypad, but many are catching on to how much they suck.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I used to open safes. If you use an electronic lock it's not a matter of if it will fail, but when. Mechanical locks of good quality (S&G or LaGard) almost never have issues with typical home users. Electronic locks are for convenience, not reliability (or security).

Amsec BF safes are excellent with true burglary and fire protection. The fire protection if done correctly actually helps with burglary protection by having a cement-like barrier in the walls. This is much different than cheap gypsum boards a lot of makers use which is not good for fire or burglary protection. Make sure the door is at least 1/2" plate steel. Most safes are nowhere near that.

If you have the coin, Graffunder is probably the best gun safe in the world.

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to change my electronic lock on my Patriot, they told me that it could not be converted to a dial. Then my lock failed. I was able to get the safe opened on my own and I am not a locksmith. I purchased several S&G locks and converted all of my safes to dial lock. I will never purchase a safe an electronic lock. If you know what you are doing you can get defeat the safe lock system. It did not take me long to get my safe open without a lot hammering and cutting. Don't get a cheap safe.

Just took delivery of a rhino 60x40. It should do what a safe should. Lot of cosmetique touches. I got the swing out rack, but not sold on it yet.
X2 on mechanical lock.

Attachments

• 5D241283-F837-49FB-AB27-E432F6CBCD52.jpeg
    5D241283-F837-49FB-AB27-E432F6CBCD52.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 31