Gun values--general question

HookUp

WKR
My dad passed away and he left about 20 guns of various makes and models. What is the best place to figure out what these are worth? Some of them are Winchester pre-64 rifles. Books, website? Any info would be helpful.

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
Know what you have by serial # look up...and then do general google search w/for sale. Also search the gun site classifieds for same guns. Some sites show sold for etc. It's a rabbit hole but can be a fun one.

NE1022

FNG
Sorry to hear about your father. I'd take my time here and hope you don't rush things. Spend some time on GunBroker and see what similar auctions are actually closing at. If you are inclined, there is a seller (Locust Fork) that offers a consignment service. You could create an inventory and they would work with you.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Very saddened to hear of the loss of your father.

Which ever was his favorite, it is invaluable. Take it hunting in honor of him.

I have my Dad's rifle. He can't have it in the retirement home. It is still his. When he is gone it is mine. It is nothing of value to anyone else. To me, it is one of finest rifles you will ever hold.

It will be an honor to take a deer with it.

I have as much confidence in it as I do in my favorite rifle,

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
My dad passed away and he left about 20 guns of various makes and models. What is the best place to figure out what these are worth? Some of them are Winchester pre-64 rifles. Books, website? Any info would be helpful.
Sorry about your loss, if you're thinking about selling you could try talking to Matt over at Talos Tactical in west richland. You may be able to just pick his or Steve's brain on prices if you're just wondering on prices for even distribution between siblings.

OP
HookUp

HookUp

WKR
Thanks guys its much appreciated. My dad took me hunting from a young age including deer and bird so I could experience different hunts. The father son relationship is a special one, especially when you spend time together outdoors.

Wvroach

WKR
Sorry for the loss of your father.

To add to the others I have last year's blue book if you wanted to pm me what you have I can let you know what it says for them whenever I get some time.

Though I find gunbroker to be a better gauge of actual selling prices the bluebook is usually about 10-20% lower than the actual sale prices for some reason.

Tick

WKR
Gunbroker.com is a good measure of what buyers will actually pay. Find an auction for a firearm in similar condition.

Laramie

WKR
In my rural area, auctions typically bring the best prices- sometimes over new gun values. It has always surprised me.

Honyock

WKR
Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad in 2019. Take your time and do your homework. I would also suggest that you at least keep his most favorite rifle. My most valuable gun is a 1907 Remington Auto Loading Rifle in 35 Cal (pre-cursor to the Model 8). It was my grandfather's gun and it's heavily used but to me it is priceless.