Gun vises & Torque wrenches

nrh6.7

WKR
I've been needing to pick both of these items and been putting it off. Is there a general favorite in both categories?

Looking for versatility in the vise and accuracy in the wrench. Also looking for anything to make scope mounting easier.

Thanks for any input.

gelton

WKR
I think the link you posted above is a shooting rest not really a vice. I use a Tipton vise and a wheeler torque wrench but I am sure there are better options out there.

This is the one I have:

But this one looks better:

Here is the tourque wrench I have:

Newberg recently did a scope mounting video with a tool I had never seen before, worth a look:

Everything he uses is linked in the video description on youtube.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I think the link you posted above is a shooting rest not really a vice.

I linked the wrong one. The vise part can be purchased with or as an add on. If you get the rest then I guess you could use it to sight in as well.

This is what I meant to link: Vise

Thanks for posting the Newberg video, I'll check it out.

The Wheeler was the one most seem to like.

rayporter

WKR
i would predict that if you get the one you linked you will be searching for something else soon. it does not do either function well.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Wheeler torque wrench. They also make a couple different scope mounting kits as well.

I have the basic Tipton vise and it’s not great for mounting a scope. When you lock in the butt of the stock it always pulls the rifle to one side. Quite possibly user error but that’s been my experience

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
i would predict that if you get the one you linked you will be searching for something else soon. it does not do either function well.

Ray, are you referring to the CTK Precision vise I linked to or the one gelton linked?

I have that cheaper Tipton and wheeler torque wrenches. Relatively cheap and they get it done. Ideally I won’t use them much or often.

rayporter

WKR
yours

my tipton which was midway when i got it years ago is used almost every time i get a rifle out. it is just so safe and easy to put the rifle in the vise before i do anything else.

I pad the jaws of my regular bench top vise on the corner of my work bench for a lot of my cleaning and scope mounting. Wheeler FAT wrench is what I have been using and it seems to work as advertised. I’ve never calibrated it or tested it against a known torque value, but it seems repeatable. I have their reticle leveling tools for scope mounting. I typically pair that with a plumb bob to make sure that I’m getting the actual reticle level, and not just the scope body.

I use Fix-It Sticks for torque on my rifles/mounts because of the variety and compactness. That way I can keep them with me without them taking up an enormous amount of room.

Dobermann

WKR
I've found that the Tipton 'Best Gun Vice' doesn't actually hold the gun, well ... vice-like - a very small nudge to the stock will put the gun out of level.

I'm now looking for a better option ...

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
yours

my tipton which was midway when i got it years ago is used almost every time i get a rifle out. it is just so safe and easy to put the rifle in the vise before i do anything else.

I'm curious about your statement of not being happy with the CTK. Have you used that vise, and if so what were the issues? Which Tipton do you have?
Thanks

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I've found that the Tipton 'Best Gun Vice' doesn't actually hold the gun, well ... vice-like - a very small nudge to the stock will put the gun out of level.

I'm now looking for a better option ...

I have heard others say the same on the basic tipton. That is what lead me to the CTK vise.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I find the Tipton Best Gun Vice holds the gun fine for most work, however there is a little play in the stock, making using it to mount a scope very finicky as small amounts of pressure can shift the stock a few degrees.

rayporter

WKR

my prediction is that it wont do either function well. it is an extremely poor choice for a shooting rest and i dont see it being an easy to use vice. i could be wrong as i dont have one. but as a shooting rest i have never seen anything even remotely resembling it be used for an accurate rifle in fun or competition.

a caveat- i have 2 boards covered with leather that i made for my midway [ Tipton] .
they are held together at the bottom by the leather which forms a hinge and keeps them together. i frequently stick them in the vice part of the midway to firmly hold a stock or to raise it some for cleaning. all the little bottle holders and parts holders are very handy when cleaning a working on stocks or scopes. i dont use this for sighting in or anything like adjusting a scope for eye relief or reticle level. i use a real sandbag rest for that and i hang a rock on rope under the target to level my cross hairs. so i dont quite understand why bumping a stock and causing the rifle to be out of level is a problem with a tipton.
just the way i roll.

good luck

tdot

WKR
Check out the Berry's Manufacturing Versa Cradle.

It is awesome, I tried a couple of others, including the ones you've linked and this one blows them away. Super versatile.

As for a torque wrench, I've seen some pretty good deals on old Snap On's, or other higher end names off of Craigslist.

LongCut

FNG
I have the Tipton "best gun vise", and a wheeler fat wrench. Happy with both.

I also have a Borka tool set in a roll up cordura case. Packs really well, and has almost everything you need for most DIY type gunsmithing stuff. Per my engineer brother, the beam style torque wrench is also very accurate.

A buddy has the torque wrench that Vortex started offering a year or so ago. He likes it as well.