Gunnison CO public lands closed

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I look at it more that there are too many people who are too ignorant, too selfish, too "patriotic" to do the right thing, so the government is taking extraordinary steps to make sure they remain ignorant/selfish/patriotic in a more confined area.

You could take it a step further and just say that the government will trample all over our rights, freedoms, and liberties as they want.....for whatever reason they choose.......because a whole lot of people will agree with the government doing that (for perceived safety) instead of the Constitution.

It's kind of like the governors that are dictating to the people exactly what are essential and non-essential businesses to "the people". Nobody can dictate to anyone what is essential or non-essential to each individual. As soon as they call pot shops "essential", that pretty much invalidates anything else they say and opens up every business as essential to somebody. They have no right to make decisions that bankrupts one legal business, yet benefits other businesses. That's why we have a Constitution......as a foundation and framework for every other decision that is made, and to protect our nation and the people from government imposed restrictions to liberties, rights, and freedoms. If we can just waive that foundation whenever it appears that "things are getting scary", then there would be no need for said Constitution. They could just make it all up as we go, whenever they want. That's exactly why we have the Constitution. The Founding Fathers understood that.

Billinsd

WKR
If we can just waive that foundation whenever it appears that "things are getting scary", then there would be no need for said Constitution. They could just make it all up as we go, whenever they want. That's exactly why we have the Constitution. The Founding Fathers understood that.
Both Republicans and Democrats ignore the Constitution to suite their needs since the Civil War. Lincoln saved and united the Country, but at a great cost to the Constitution. Theodore R. supersized the Federal Government to stamp down big business that he believed should less poweful than Federal Government and created crony Capitalism, where the Feds pick the winners and losers. Yes, we are making it up as we go. Bill

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I was speaking more on the fact that people would drive all the way from the east coast in a g'damn camper to camp on a reservtion....
Why is that stupid? Because Indian Reservationa are bigger hell holes than East Coast Cities?

Billinsd

WKR
The other thing to keep in mind here is that these are closures enacted by local sheriffs of locales largely dependent up public land recreation for revenue. If you think these counties are going to permanently close access to outsiders just to say “screw you, it’s ours”, you’re crazy. Does any person actually go to Gunnison or Silverton for any reason other than recreation?
That's not the point. The point is that we are talking about Federally owned land. Who has top jurisdiction over Federal land? The Feds, the state, or local? This happened in San Diego on BLM land. Some idiots started a fire on BLM land at a popular target shooting area. It burned a square mile or more. The County closed down the BLM area for target shooting until the NRA, I believe sued, or pressured the BLM to publicly disregard the county's illegal and inappropriate action and target shooting resumed. Colorado sounds EXTREMELY LOST. I miss all the time I spent there in the 60s and 70s. I'll probably drive across Colorado some time to get to Nebraska, etc., but not much else. Bill

chasewild

WKR
Disclaimer -- this comment purely legal. Not policy.

A "locals only" access policy is patently unconstitutional and violates the Supremacy Clause, Equal Protection clause, potentially the Dormant Commerce Clause, and depending on how it was enforced, the Due Process Clause.

The Sheriff does have the legal authority to enforce civil and criminal laws on the forest (e.g. if you murder someone in the San Juan it is definitely still a state-law violation ...and federal). However, s/he does not have authority to create new law and enforce it. He effectively is usurping Congress and the Executive.

Good article in the Sun.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Look at Gunnison international in the 70s and my dad and me packing the airplane to go home. That's me folding that huge flannel sleeping bag. I was 15 and drove that Bronco all over. Looks like my first deer hunt or first elk hunt a couple weeks later. We flew out there for a couple real long weekend hunts. Colorado sure used to be the end all for me. When we were elk hunting we got the rear diff caught on a stump and my dad dug it out while I hunted. We slept in the bronco. What a match made in heaven, my dad loved to fly and I loved to hunt! Good Times!!

Attachments

• 1585781820056_Photograph (5).JPG
    1585781820056_Photograph (5).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
How is that legal?

Because they are a sovereign nation. To fix the state road on the reservation you have to pay a Tero tax to the tribe. So if the whole job is there and say it is a million dollars which isn’t much you have to give them3.5% of the total contract.

ewade07

WKR
Why is that stupid? Because Indian Reservationa are bigger hell holes than East Coast Cities?
No, because they are driving across country not knowing if they are carrying the virus or not., thinking they are "isolating" where there is no evidence of the virus when in actuality they may be bringing it with them. Has nothing to do with the reservation itself.

brsnow

WKR
The government is made up of people we voted in. Sure lobbyists such as the NRA have influence, but at the end of the day we elected these people.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
a Ton of revenue will be lost without non residents

This time of year, the vast majority of that revenue was already lost when Crested Butte ski area was closed in March. Realistically, if there is a month to be closed in the high country, it’s Mid April and early May, aka “mud season” and even if they were wide open right now, do you expect they would be rolling in revenue from tourists?

Billinsd

WKR
No, because they are driving across country not knowing if they are carrying the virus or not., thinking they are "isolating" where there is no evidence of the virus when in actuality they may be bringing it with them. Has nothing to do with the reservation itself.
What if they keep a safe distance away from others and are mindful about spreading viruses as well as catching them? Why is it stupid to feel safer in an area where there is no evidence from an area with evidence of a lot of infection, other than driving cross country? I'm not saying I'd do that. It depends too if it's a retired couple or big family with dogs and cats. I don't think it's stupid, it's not super smart either. Bill

brsnow

WKR
There is also a big push to keep 2nd home owners out. Limited medical resources and also bringing in infected people.

Pigskin

FNG
I’m sure there are non res visiting the area year around, that revenue will be missed by nearly all businesse.

Billinsd

WKR
The government is made up of people we voted in. Sure lobbyists such as the NRA have influence, but at the end of the day we elected these people.
Right and we are responsible. However, that does not give them the green light to break federal laws, etc. and do what ever they like or whatever the people that elected them like, Carte Blache I think is the word I want to use.

Billinsd

WKR
This time of year, the vast majority of that revenue was already lost when Crested Butte ski area was closed in March. Realistically, if there is a month to be closed in the high country, it’s Mid April and early May, aka “mud season” and even if they were wide open right now, do you expect they would be rolling in revenue from tourists?
People will remember like me. I skied a lot at Crested Butte back in the 70s and 80s and hunted deer and elk. It doesn't look like I'll ever go again. Bill

OP
P

Poser

WKR
What if they keep a safe distance away from others and are mindful about spreading viruses as well as catching them? Why is it stupid to feel safer in an area where there is no evidence from an area with evidence of a lot of infection, other than driving cross country? I'm not saying I'd do that. It depends too if it's a retired couple or big family with dogs and cats. I don't think it's stupid, it's not super smart either. Bill

What if.

What if their transmission blows up while driving across country in a remote area? Does dad hop in the cab with the tow truck driver? What if the tow truck driver won’t let anyone in the cab? Someone will have to pick them up. Where do they stay while the transmission is getting repaired?

What if little Johnny’s peanut allergy gets the best of him and he has to go to the ER in an ambulance?

There are more “what ifs” that lead to a family driving across country to have close encounters with others than there are “what ifs” that allow them to avoid contact with other people.