Gunnison CO public lands closed

Wouldn’t it far more concerning if they closed it to all people?

As far as freedoms go, yes. But depending on the reason why, I could possibly make sense out of it.

Taking public land, even temporarily, from people not in the county makes no sense whatsoever. If a virus can be easily spread on public land to the point the owners of said land can't be there, then the county residents shouldn't be on it either. That makes sense to me. I wouldn't like it and if I felt the reasons were unjustified I'd be up in arms.

Either way at least 99.9% of the owners of public land do not have access to it.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
As far as freedoms go, yes. But depending on the reason why, I could possibly make sense out of it.

Taking public land from people not in the county makes no sense whatsoever. If a virus can be easily spread on public land to the point the owners of said land can't be there, then the county residents shouldn't be on it either. That makes sense to me. I wouldn't like it and if I felt the reasons were unjustified I'd be up in arms.

Either way at least 99.9% of the owners of public land do not have access to it.

So no longer about freedom, but about privilege or fairness?

So no longer about freedom, but about privilege or fairness?

I recognize the strawman you are attempting to build; I suggest you find another thread or poster to bait. It can still be about freedom because freedom is subjective.

OP
P

Poser

WKR

Taking public land, even temporarily, from people not in the county makes no sense whatsoever. If a virus can be easily spread on public land to the point the owners of said land can't be there, then the county residents shouldn't be on it either. That makes sense to me. I wouldn't like it and if I felt the reasons were unjustified I'd be up in arms.

The public land is the attraction to the area, the reason why people travel there in the first place. Closing the public land is a way to discourage people from coming to the area because they then have no reason to go. Same thing in Silverton as the only people going there this time of year are skiers and snowmobilers. Close the public land and nobody is showing up. If people would stay home, they wouldn’t do this, but people are selfish assholes who decide that they have to travel across state lines during a pandemic just to go recreate.

The public land is the attraction to the area, the reason why people travel there in the first place. Closing the public land is a way to discourage people from coming to the area because they then have no reason to go. Same thing in Silverton as the only people going there this time of year are skiers and snowmobilers. Close the public land and nobody is showing up. If people would stay home, they wouldn’t do this, but people are selfish assholes who decide that they have to travel across state lines during a pandemic just to go recreate.

I understand that and completely agree. It is my belief that if "The Town of Silverton is closed to non-residents and no amenities or services are provided" was stated, people would still rethink their plans. If Joe, Sally, and the 6 kids don't bring their own food/gas/hotel/etc then they'd better reconsider. That slight change in verbage still allows the public their right to enjoy public lands.

It is crazy to me that I can drive through Gunnison, Silverton, wherever right now and handle produce in the store, touch gas pumps, poop in the gas station, but I cannot go for a hike on public land in certain areas while others are.

Some of you may have see this article....check out how Gunnison responded to the 1918 Spanish Flu:

Gunnison: The town that dodged the 1918 pandemic

They were successful in severely limiting the virus to two cases. Completely impossible in today's world for too many reasons.

I do wonder - if one community/county/state/etc whatever gains a foothold on the virus and it 'runs its course', how will said place keep multiple waves of it coming back due to inter-state, inter-county, inter-city movement of people and supplies? Without a vaccine or other type of treatment, I don't see how this situation goes away any time soon.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Why does anyone from out of state need to be traveling right now anyway? What the heck does it matter if San Juan County says you can’t come and recreate unless you’re a local? The mountains are covered in snow, nothing is open, and local resources are stretched to the max? How would it even be an enjoyable vacation for anyone?

Last edited:

Savage99

WKR
Why does anyone from out of state need to be traveling right now anyway? What the heck does it matter if San Juan County says you can’t come and recreate unless you’re a local? The mountains are covered in snow, nothing is open, and local resources are stretched to the max? How would it even be an enjoyable vacation for anyone?

Personally, I’m just keeping tabs things in other counties. I’m in CO, but not a resident of the county I would want to go to for a turkey hunt. It’s none of the counties mentioned so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoV

WKR
Blue good article I posted it on page 3..

One quick question from the peanut gallery.. What are the current options other than social distancing to slow the spread of the virus?? Dont worry I will wait.........

Seems some folks out there are pretty caviler with OTHER people/families lives..

While it might be I just dont see this policy as such egregious violation of my rights that it is time to drag the guillotine to the Gunnison Valley for a revolution but might be able to be convinced...

One last quote from a old timer I was talking with.. "Them local boys sure will clean up them sheds this year"

Rmauch20

WKR
Fake News. A quick google only returns this thread with any mention. And Gunnison County reposted this from CPW yesterday:

View attachment 167022
You’re wrong. Scroll down to Sunday at 1:06 PM on the Gunnison County Facebook page and you’ll see the exact post that’s not fake news

Attachments

• 410540C4-0036-4CE7-8487-7DD03AF7E464.png
    410540C4-0036-4CE7-8487-7DD03AF7E464.png
    654.5 KB · Views: 42

ChrisAU

WKR
Welp tag deadline is 4 days away...I guess if its still closed in mid Sept my buddies can get a refund. %#*&^)(&#@^&

Jimss

WKR
I'm not sure if it was brought up yet but Nebraska turkey season is closed to nonres that haven't already purchased licenses. I've heard the same thing is true in several other states for spring turkey and bear. It's hard to say if the president or who ever is in charge may close federal lands to the public (BLM and forest service). Most states will take in on the head if they close hunting seasons. There is no way of telling how serious and how long this will go on. Every jurisdiction that provides public access likely has it's own policy....and it's hard to say if the domino affect will continue? Hopefully states that sell licenses will offer refunds of licenses and pref/bonus pts!

Reading through the order again, it says "Gunnison County Public Lands".

That means lands owned by Gunnison County, but would not include national forest nor BLM. They are letting people make those assumptions.

Still, please stay home.

BuzzH

WKR
I'm not sure if it was brought up yet but Nebraska turkey season is closed to nonres that haven't already purchased licenses. I've heard the same thing is true in several other states for spring turkey and bear. It's hard to say if the president or who ever is in charge may close federal lands to the public (BLM and forest service). Most states will take in on the head if they close hunting seasons. There is no way of telling how serious and how long this will go on. Every jurisdiction that provides public access likely has it's own policy....and it's hard to say if the domino affect will continue? Hopefully states that sell licenses will offer refunds of licenses and pref/bonus pts!

I'm still applying and I'm not taking a refund even if its offered, even if I cant hunt due to closures. I care enough about wildlife and those that manage same to fund what I care about when times are bad. If a state wants to refund points, that's fine, but again, big F'n deal if they don't.

I also have a substantial deposit on a fishing trip in AK, and the group I'm going with have all decided that if we aren't able to go due to this...we are NOT asking for a deposit back on that either. I want to have a place to fish and hunt when covid19 is over and that's only going to happen if the guy I fish with still has a boat. That's only going to happen if the State Agencies can continue to fund management, fund employees, etc.

No way in hell am I taking a refund for a fishing or hunting license in MT, WY, CO, NV, UT, AK, AZ, etc. if I cant go due to an unforeseen virus....simple as that.

tdhanses

WKR
Yea tell Wyoming you can’t close say wilderness areas to non res and see how that goes for ya...

Be responsible if that is possible for you as this all will pass might take a month might take 6 and when it is all over non res will still be locked out of Wyoming wilderness...

WY has never closed wilderness areas to NR’s, just the hunting in wilderness must be guided, it’s different. Any NR can access wilderness in WY all they want.