Gunsmith Debacle- what would you do?

A while back I sent a magnum pre 64 Winchester 70 to a well known smith with an excellent reputation for truing, rebarrel and reblue. I was given a turn around time of 5 weeks. I got a call after a month that my action had been destroyed in the truing process and the smith replaced it with another. Didn’t think much of it, as there was no sentimental value attached. Now that I have my final invoice 6 months later I checked the new serial number on the invoice and based on the date it is impossible that it’s a standard magnum action and the smith said he just swapped my bolt over. I have a suspicion that it’s a 270/30-06 action and won’t feed the 264 magnum case i had it chambered in. To me the only acceptable solution is to source a replacement pre 64 magnum action and redo it. I have a feeling that he’ll want to machine it out and open it up for the wider case. I’m waiting for a response currently, but I have a hard time paying over $1100 in smithing fees for something different than I sent out which has to be modified to work, not to mention it’s been nearly 4 months longer than estimated. How would you handle this situation?

So he's sending back a barrelled action?
Aka hes not finishing the rifle and testing the feeding?
If your un happy discuss it with him. Preferably before paying.
Personally ad ask for him to pay me a reasonable cost for my original items and find a new builder.
Idk tough to say. All I know is nobody ever seems to want to stand up when they screw up any more.

Hmmm. Could you verify the serial number from Winchester?

Not an expert but it seems like there could be an issue with pressures from a magnum in a non magnum receiver that could be dangerous.

Seems like the smith needs to make it right.

FURMAN

WKR
I am not sure what could ring up a 1100 machining bill. I personally would want the same thing I sent him. The pre 64 mdl 70 does not really need to have sentimental value to make it better than what is available today. The closest thing to it would be a mdl 70 "Classic".

gbflyer

WKR
A while back I sent a magnum pre 64 Winchester 70 to a well known smith with an excellent reputation for truing, rebarrel and reblue. I was given a turn around time of 5 weeks. I got a call after a month that my action had been destroyed in the truing process and the smith replaced it with another. Didn’t think much of it, as there was no sentimental value attached. Now that I have my final invoice 6 months later I checked the new serial number on the invoice and based on the date it is impossible that it’s a standard magnum action and the smith said he just swapped my bolt over. I have a suspicion that it’s a 270/30-06 action and won’t feed the 264 magnum case i had it chambered in. To me the only acceptable solution is to source a replacement pre 64 magnum action and redo it. I have a feeling that he’ll want to machine it out and open it up for the wider case. I’m waiting for a response currently, but I have a hard time paying over $1100 in smithing fees for something different than I sent out which has to be modified to work, not to mention it’s been nearly 4 months longer than estimated. How would you handle this situation?

You have a suspicion that it won’t feed, or it WON’T FEED?

Which one do you have:

2ccd1ff961239f4e31a6420937af9f57.jpg

Wapiti1

WKR
Do you have the barreled action in your hands or not? Did you ask him if he checked feeding?

Seems like you are jumping the gun (pun intended) until you have some evidence that there is a problem.

Jeremy

SDHNTR

WKR
Mistakes (and shit) happen. If you have your concerns, have you asked these questions directly to the smith? This doesn’t make much sense to me. I have a hard time believing any gunsmith worth a damn would do something that knowingly could be dangerous such as swapping out a non magnum receiver into a magnum cartridge chambering.

I hate to say this but your Smith is not very good at his job. Trueing an action is not rocket science. Even allowing for the error he should have:

1. Contacted you before doing anything else after the action was damaged.
2. Discounted your bill.

$1100 is a lot for a rebarrel and true.... did your smith provide the barrel?

OP
CApighunter
I hate to say this but your Smith is not very good at his job. Trueing an action is not rocket science. Even allowing for the error he should have:

1. Contacted you before doing anything else after the action was damaged.
2. Discounted your bill.

$1100 is a lot for a rebarrel and true.... did your smith provide the barrel?

Bluing, and custom throating are included in that bill as well as return shipping fees. I provided it he blank. Needless to say I won’t be using them again.

OP
CApighunter
So he's sending back a barrelled action?
Aka hes not finishing the rifle and testing the feeding?
If your un happy discuss it with him. Preferably before paying.
Personally ad ask for him to pay me a reasonable cost for my original items and find a new builder.
Idk tough to say. All I know is nobody ever seems to want to stand up when they screw up any more.

Yes I sent him the barrel action, I’ll be fitting and bedding it to a Mcmillan when it gets back. Haven’t paid anything yet.

OP
CApighunter
Hmmm. Could you verify the serial number from Winchester?

Not an expert but it seems like there could be an issue with pressures from a magnum in a non magnum receiver that could be dangerous.

Seems like the smith needs to make it right.

Winchester is unable to provide more information beyond year of manufacture. But the serial number of the replacement was made before standard magnums were build. And he told me that he swapped my magnum bolt into the new action.

Well talk it over with him discuss the feeding concern.
Ask for him to redo it in the proper action.
Or
Get in writing that if it doesn't feed correctly that you want a magnum action. Done up free if charge.
Or he will make the modifications free of charge.
Or
Ask him if you send the stock if he will bed it free of charge and make sure the rifle functions before sending if out. For your trouble.
Idk man it's a tough one.

Based on some of the dealing my friends and I have had with mechanics the last year if he tell you to stick it your stuck.

His response will tell what kind of person he is.

fraz01

FNG
I have had a standard bolt face action opened up to build a 416 Taylor. Granted Tom Burgess did the work to open the action, the gun feeds like butter. Your smith shouldn't need the stock to get the gun to feed. The question is are you confident he has the skill to open up the action. If he is a reputable smith, I can't imagine he would send out a faulty rifle. I feel your pain , what a circus.

gbflyer

WKR
Yes I sent him the barrel action, I’ll be fitting and bedding it to a Mcmillan when it gets back. Haven’t paid anything yet.

Ok, so you don’t have it in your hands, you’re just worried that it won’t work when you do. If I read you right.

$1100 isn’t out of line for a re-barrel, action job, and refinish in my opinion. Some have indicated otherwise. Depending on what barrel he’s using, that could be $400-ish with shipping. Another $3-350 to chamber, some smiths charge a little more because the Winchester 70 extractor cut is a pain. $200 to true the action probably. $150-200 to refinish. Ship it back insured close to anther $100.

Bad things happen sometimes. Sorry your original got messed up. At least he owned up to it, seems honest to me. I’d give the guy a chance to get you a rifle you’re happy with. There is no safety issue building a .264 win mag out of a standard action for those who wonder. Open the bolt face or replace with a mag. No biggie. I don’t think there’s any reason to go sideways with him yet.

As far as the time estimate goes...so many things out of a shops control today. The supply chain for barrels alone moves at a snails pace. Not uncommon for a cut rifled barrel to take 6-9 months as an example.

OP
CApighunter
ok-i gotta ask, just how does a competent smith destroy and action?

have you seen this guys work?

I had him flute a bolt a couple years back and it was done perfectly. They have a fairly large operation and have an excellent reputation. I was told there was something wrong with the CNC file for the truing and it crashed, destroying the action and fixture.

OP
CApighunter
Ok, so you don’t have it in your hands, you’re just worried that it won’t work when you do. If I read you right.

$1100 isn’t out of line for a re-barrel, action job, and refinish in my opinion. Some have indicated otherwise. Depending on what barrel he’s using, that could be $400-ish with shipping. Another $3-350 to chamber, some smiths charge a little more because the Winchester 70 extractor cut is a pain. $200 to true the action probably. $150-200 to refinish. Ship it back insured close to anther $100.

Bad things happen sometimes. Sorry your original got messed up. At least he owned up to it, seems honest to me. I’d give the guy a chance to get you a rifle you’re happy with. There is no safety issue building a .264 win mag out of a standard action for those who wonder. Open the bolt face or replace with a mag. No biggie. I don’t think there’s any reason to go sideways with him yet.

As far as the time estimate goes...so many things out of a shops control today. The supply chain for barrels alone moves at a snails pace. Not uncommon for a cut rifled barrel to take 6-9 months as an example.

I sent him a #3 brux blank, he didn’t need to purchase any additional parts.