Gunsmith Debacle- what would you do?

gbflyer

WKR
I had him flute a bolt a couple years back and it was done perfectly. They have a fairly large operation and have an excellent reputation. I was told there was something wrong with the CNC file for the truing and it crashed, destroying the action and fixture.

I sent a heavy Hart barrel back to them to re-contour to Remington standard sporter. Same thing happened, wrong numbers input. Jack called me personally and asked me what I wanted for a new barrel. Got it about a week later. It happens.

Don’t panic just yet. Dimensionally, all the pre-64 actions are the same. The magnums were opened up so the magazines fit. So no worries about pressures or feed issues simply because of the type of action used. You will be able to quickly tell if a 264 type action wasn’t used if the new serial number pre dates the short magnums. Winchester didn’t keep records of these for those that mentioned. But imho it’s too early to panic, all may be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CApighunter
I sent a heavy Hart barrel back to them to re-contour to Remington standard sporter. Same thing happened, wrong numbers input. Jack called me personally and asked me what I wanted for a new barrel. Got it about a week later. It happens.

Not dealing with a Jack here.

Wrench

WKR
I've opened up standard to .532 bolt face. I'd not be worried....but it's YOU that has to be satisfied.

rayporter

WKR
the more i think about this the more i feel this smith should be doing everything trying to make you happy.
like falling all over himself and dropping other work to get you going. and even a discount????

Scotto

WKR
Stuff happens.....but I would want to have been contacted/consulted, to approve any plan going forward after the issue with CNC.

the more i think about this the more i feel this smith should be doing everything trying to make you happy.
like falling all over himself and dropping other work to get you going. and even a discount????

Wow wish I was as optimistic as you. I mean I agree with you but it's not what I've been seeing in America lately.

But I also agree OP needs to voice his concerns with the Smith.

That has been done and the smith said he’d look into it and get back to me. Im still waiting for a call back.
if I am following...I think a lot of that extra wait time has been for fixtures and programs to be perfected for a 5 axis? sucks yours got ruined. I'd bet they'll make it right with you.

Wapiti1

WKR
That has been done and the smith said he’d look into it and get back to me. Im still waiting for a call back.

Interesting. So, other than a longer wait than anticipated, it sounds like they are trying to make this right. He sourced a new receiver which isn't exactly easy if he got a pre-64 replacement.

I think you are doing better than you think. He could have sent you back your parts, a buggered receiver, some cash to go with it, and you would be SOL.

There is no safety issue using any LA M70 receiver for any cartridge that fits. They all are the same alloy steel with the same heat treat. The receivers would come in batches as basic machined parts, then they were used as needed. If they needed 10 to make .270 Winchesters, they grabbed 10, and off they went to be finished.

Jeremy

Iketurner

FNG
Agree with waiting on your questions to be answered by smith & I hope everything works out for the OP

Sled

WKR
that's tough. old rifles are usually valued for their condition, including being complete as they left the factory. even if you don't value it that way, the next buyer might. the smith should understand that and at least adjust the price accordingly.

fraz01

FNG
Don't know if you sent your dies with the gun. If not I would load 5 dummy rounds of the primary load you will be using. Box them up and send them to the smith with a note of any concerns your having. Doing this will eliminate any doubt as to how the gun functions and what you expect. Hope you end up with a slick feeding tack driver after all of this.

OP
CApighunter
Don't know if you sent your dies with the gun. If not I would load 5 dummy rounds of the primary load you will be using. Box them up and send them to the smith with a note of any concerns your having. Doing this will eliminate any doubt as to how the gun functions and what you expect. Hope you end up with a slick feeding tack driver after all of this.

I did send a dummy round for a custom throat to be cut for a 140 Berger seated at max mag length. The length of the replacement action shouldn’t be an issue, the width would be. For someone who claimed to be a model 70 aficionado this oversight doesn’t instill much confidence.

This is the worst part about building rifles. You’ve got to find a good gunsmith that either isn’t over priced, really slow and that knows what they’re doing. I had a well known smith here in town build me a 28 Nosler and when I got the rifle back, the rifle wouldn’t even load rounds into the magazine. He failed to widen the feed rails enough to provide for the fatter case, not to mention the other items he didn’t follow instructions on that would take too long to type out. Not saying the all are bad, but I hate dealing with gun smiths.