Gunsmith question. Short throat.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having this same debate with my Tikka CTR in .223. Very short throat - was planning on shooting 75 gr Amax through it, but case capacity is impeded on dramatically when loading to lands. I'll see how much that changes after the first couple hundred rounds. Otherwise, I think I'll likely be looking for a smith to do some work as well.

Good luck!

As far as smiths who can do the work, I would give Chad at LRI a call to see if that is something they could do. I am thinking yes, and their turnaround time is pretty good, as are their prices.

BLJ

WKR
Mabe a long shot, but why not call Ruger? I've read some complaints of short throated RA's and some have claimed getting a new barrel from Ruger.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just throat it out. There is really no downfall to having a little bit longer freebore as long as you are not running into length issues. The only other thing to look at is what twist you are running and whether it is truly stabilizing the heavier bullets.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Just throat it out. There is really no downfall to having a little bit longer freebore as long as you are not running into length issues. The only other thing to look at is what twist you are running and whether it is truly stabilizing the heavier bullets.

That's heavily the way I'm leaning. It's a 1:8 and fine for heavies. It's really going to be dedicated to 77s but I'd like to be able to try some of the heavier 80 & 90gn offerings. I've put a couple of calls on to Smiths here in TN, as well as a quick email to LRI, just to check prices & lead times.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's heavily the way I'm leaning. It's a 1:8 and fine for heavies. It's really going to be dedicated to 77s but I'd like to be able to try some of the heavier 80 & 90gn offerings. I've put a couple of calls on to Smiths here in TN, as well as a quick email to LRI, just to check prices & lead times.
It should be pretty cheap to do it! I would make sure that they are going to do it on a lathe as typically it stays a little more concentric. With that being said I have seen a couple of them be done by hand and it is pretty self-explanatory if you wanted to go that route. If you do that, you will have to take the barrel off and get the proper tools for throating. You will need two resized cases so they shoulder up without any pressure. Check and make sure they both shoulder up before you put a bullet in the one! Then put a bullet in one at your desired seating depth. You will then take the empty case and put it in the chamber. Measure from the back of the case to the end of the barrel. Then put your case with a bullet in it and stick it in until you feel a small amount of pressure. Measure to the same spot and subtract the difference. You can keep doing that until the two cases measure the same and that is when you know you are not touching lands anymore. Add how much jump you want and you are good to go! Measure twice and cut once! Also, take into account throat erosion if you are planning on shooting it a lot and want to stay close to the lands. I typically start a fresh barrel at .020 under my desired seating depth so if you are chasing lands you are not ever seating your bullets out too far.

brushape

WKR
Long range only made a good video on using a throated at home to extend one out. Looked super easy I’m actually thinking of doing it on my 6.5 saum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
My farrier makes shoeing my horses look super easy too! 🤣

I considered it, being handy with most tools myself, but I think I'd much rather leave something this precise to someone who's done it before. By the time I've bought a comparator, rented a reamer & gathered the necessary testicular fortitude....... yeah. Probably better off giving the money to someone with a bit of experience I reckon.

Last edited:

brushape

WKR
My farrier makes shoeing my horses look super easy too!

I considered it, being handy with most tools myself, but I think I'd much rather leave something this precise to someone who's done it before. By the time I've bought a comparator, rented a reamer & gathered the necessary testicular fortitude....... yeah. Probably better off giving the money to someone with a bit of experience I reckon.

Haha ya I don’t blame you. Our gunsmiths out here are a joke and so far backlogged with work that id be tempted to do it on my own even though I’d rather not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk