Gunsmith Recomendations

Hi Folks,

I have a model 70 in 264 win mag that is having accuracy issues. I did notice I am getting contact between the barrel and the stock of the rifle so that will need to be addressed for sure.

I am looking to send the rifle to a reputable gunsmith who can do a thorough evaluation of the gun and help me improve the accuracy.

Winchester recomended I call Mid West GunWorks. Any feedback on them?

Any recomendations on other gunsmiths?

I'm in Boston but am happy to ship the gun.

Thanks

ODB

WKR
Dennis Olson knows his way around a Mod 70. But “fixing” an accuracy issue often results in rebarrel. Then you are looking at maybe truing the action, squaring the face, etc etc etc.

eamyrick

WKR
Been thorough this story many times before. The answer is a rebarrel which is gonna set up back approximately $65p-700. It absolutely may not be the barrel but by the time you troubleshoot everything else, cost wise, a full disassembly and rebarrel is the sure fire way to get an accurate gun. I use Mark Pharr at Tumbleweeds Customs in Round Rock, Tx.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dennis Olson knows his way around a Mod 70. But “fixing” an accuracy issue often results in rebarrel. Then you are looking at maybe truing the action, squaring the face, etc etc etc.
Are you referring to Dennis Olson in Plains MT?

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Marc Soulie and Spartan Precision Rifles would be my choice. They turn out top notch work and I've been happy with all the work they've done for me.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
From a fellow, M70 enthusiast... Lee Christianson, Darcy Echols, Roger Farrell, Mark Penrod and Kevin Weaver are the best M70 smiths out there. Those have extensive experience with them. Many of the new to the game and tactical focused smiths out there are more focused on building chassis abominations and gaining likes from flatbills on their instagram page and won't know a M70 from a hole in the ground. Be sure to ask lots of questions. You don't want some guy thinking it's just another round bottom to alter and ruin the value of your classic rifle.

That said, if it were me, there are some basic things I would diagnose before sending it anywhere. Is it clean? Carbon buildup at the throat and copper buildup in the barrel can certainly cause accuracy deterioration. Are the action screws still tight (but not too tight). Is there stress to the receiver causing torque in the barrelled action? Has the stock warped? You said the forend is touching the barrel? Is this because the receiver has shifted position in the inletting, or because the forend has twisted? If minor, wrap some sandpaper around an appropriate sized dowel or deep socket and relieve the contact. Rule some basic stuff out before you just send it off.

Last edited:
Anybody know if a blank with a 1.077 inch shank would work for a Model 70 (push feed XTR)?

I bought it on LRH for a Weatherby MkV, but would rather use the Win70 action if it’s possible.