Gunsmith Review - Kampfeld Custom

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
This was my first experience with a gunsmith, and my (actually my wife's) first custom rifle. I just wanted to go through and elaborate on some of the key points.

Specs and work done - Tikka LA, 24" Bartlein #3 .284 barrel, Mesa precision stock, MTN Tactical action bolts. I had the bolt fluted with the flutes blackened, chambered in 280 Ackley Improved, deep straight flutes on the barrel, thread/protector/brake by Kampfeld, cerakote black. I asked about bedding and he said he didn't think this one needed it, and the action had great contact and it was sitting on the pillars.

20211018_073009.jpg

Initial business impression - Karl is an extremely nice guy, very easy to talk to. He'll do whatever you want and he'll ask if it's not clear. He responds very quickly and is clear about everything he needs from you.

Time frame - My time frame had a little wrench thrown in it, initially the first time I contacted him and asked for a rough estimate he said 6-8 weeks from the time all of my parts were in shop. By the time I got all my parts to him, he adjusted that quote to 8-10 weeks. When starting my project he informed me that the barrel inletting on my Mesa stock was definitely NOT for the #3 Bartlein barrel, and asked if he wanted me to do the best he could to make it look proportionate, or if I wanted to address it (just my luck..). I decided that I didn't want any sort of compromise, so I addressed it. Shoutout to Mesa, as they have a good relationship with Karl and were able to slam out the corrected stock and have it delivered in two weeks. In the end it set me back a couple weeks but Karl would have been dead on with his estimate had we not had a hiccup.

Pricing - I looked around quite a bit and ran some numbers and I felt for the reputation Kampfeld Customs has in comparison to his prices, you're getting a deal. I was not nitpicky on the numbers, I told him what I wanted done and honestly the total was less than I remember estimating.

Initial fit and feel of the rifle - THIS THING IS AMAZING. I spent close to a decade in the welding/fabrication/machining industry, so I inspected this rifle like I was head of the QC department. The brake timing and transition are absolutely perfect, even the fluting is timed. The barrel inletting looks perfect, and there is zero contact. When I first grabbed this thing I knew I was messing with a new animal.

Performance - This thing shoots absolutely lights out. I'm headed to Idaho next weekend for a mule deer hunt and was hoping to get load development done in one weekend (which I've never confidently done before), this rifle made that a breeze. Since this is a Bartlein barrel I followed Frank Green's break in procedure, and then went straight to testing (I'll post all the data in a reloading thread). I had a load developed and validated in 2 days, once I got the calculator tuned shooting 6" rocks at 980yds was like clock work.

*Break in - shoot 1 shot, clean, for the first 5 shots. Foul the barrel, shoot a group, clean. Repeat until there is little or no copper fouling when cleaned.*
4 shot group - shots number 7, 8, 9, 10. Clean, foul, 3 shot group shots number 13, 14, 15. Mild break in load @ 100 yards. 58.4gr is the loaded I ended up settling on, 4 shot group ES of 4.

20211016_121310.jpg20211016_172226.jpg20211016_172300.jpg20211016_172326.jpg

Conclusion - I couldn't have asked for a better result. I've been chasing this high for years and was absolutely elated yesterday watching rocks explode and hearing steel ring across the range. Karl is an outstanding guy and gunsmith that builds a fantastic rifle. I would recommend him to anyone interested in any Smith work, and I will likely be a lifelong customer of Kampfeld Customs.

Antares

WKR
Very similar to my experience with Karl. He's easy to work with and turns out fantastic results. My only concern with posts like this is that his lead time will go way up because of all the extra business, but he deserves it!

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
My only concern with posts like this is that his lead time will go way up because of all the extra business, but he deserves it!
Agreed. I considered that but I'm only on Rokslide and have seen a lot of dismal experiences with gunsmiths lately, so I figured I would try and throw a bone both ways to sliders and Kampfeld!

B23

WKR
Karl has done numerous Rem 700 actions and fluted many bolts for me. He's fairly local-ish to me so I've been to his shop and met him in person when I dropped some stuff off and Karl is about as nice a guy as you could ever ask for. His place is kind of remote so I don't imagine a lot of people drop stuff off in person but he has a beautiful place and a very nice shop and equipment next to it.

Ya - Karl does great work and has always been a great guy to work with. Like B23 I've had him do a bunch of stuff over the years including a full Kampfeld build. His work is always 100% spot on and he almost always has your stuff back sooner than expected.

Agreed. I considered that but I'm only on Rokslide and have seen a lot of dismal experiences with gunsmiths lately, so I figured I would try and throw a bone both ways to sliders and Kampfeld!

A lot of those gunsmiths had glowing reviews before becoming internet popular :LOL:

I finally have had 3 rifle projects in a row go fantastic but don't think I can continue to send stuff to a 'smith associated with Muley Freak.. So Karl is in the running for the next go round.

BTW - that was awful considerate of you to go through all the trouble, for your wife. grin.

Afhunter1

WKR
146B3DC9-321A-4130-9185-8F23A155C91D.png

This gun on his website is mine. He has done numerous work for me too. All has been top shelf. This is a 350 rem mag model 7 KS. He painted stock, cerakoted barreled action, worked bolt over, and installed NECG front sight. The scope is in QD mounts and I have a peep that will go on base when the scope is off. This is my PA close quarters bear gun.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
BTW - that was awful considerate of you to go through all the trouble, for your wife. grin.
Well this.. just got.. awkward..

IMG_20191004_132124_831.jpgIMG_20181118_095111_174.jpgIMG_20171123_203403_470.jpg

It's not uncommon for her to outdo me 😆 (Or I say have better luck with opportunity 🙄). My 7 Max build isn't done yet, I'm taking this sucker and hoping to let the air out of a nice mountain buck just so I can say I spilled first blood with it!

ChrisAU

WKR
Had Karl do some cosmetic work on a couple rifles earlier this year and both turned out fantastic. Just wanted to drop some weight on some already accurate factory rifles and add cerakote, both are head turners now for sure and Karl was great to work with.