Gunsmith Review - Oregon Mountain Rifles

Philsummers21

Lil-Rokslider
Tell him you want to see the inside of the chamber before it leaves the shop and you expect it to be smooth and not have huge rings in it. Lol

I’ll pick it up in person so I’ll definitely give it a look over first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
No idea where he gets blanks. But just about any barrel manufacturer kicks them out in 8-12 weeks. Gunsmiths love to blame the barrel manufacturer but it is simply not the case 99% of the time. No dog in the fight, just get tired of all the excuses.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
No idea where he gets blanks. But just about any barrel manufacturer kicks them out in 8-12 weeks. Gunsmiths love to blame the barrel manufacturer but it is simply not the case 99% of the time. No dog in the fight, just get tired of all the excuses.
You’re talking about Lee freeman. The king of “it’s not my fault”.

Wizbang

FNG
So I might catch a lot of crap about this because it seems as everyone is anti OMR. I approached him about a prefit for my T3x chambered in 7 rem mag. I wanted a 20” with a 1-8 twist. He said he had one in stock and could get it to me in 2 weeks. I shelled out the $700 and received my barrel in a week and a half. Had a smith here put it on and check the head space. Did the suggested barrel break in and am in the process of load development now. With the rounds that I have put down range so far even without really dialing in my load I am still sub MOA at 200 yards. I have nothing bad to say about OMR at all, just all positive’s. Very personable guy on the phone and email and delivered above the standard he set.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
So I might catch a lot of crap about this because it seems as everyone is anti OMR. I approached him about a prefit for my T3x chambered in 7 rem mag. I wanted a 20” with a 1-8 twist. He said he had one in stock and could get it to me in 2 weeks. I shelled out the $700 and received my barrel in a week and a half. Had a smith here put it on and check the head space. Did the suggested barrel break in and am in the process of load development now. With the rounds that I have put down range so far even without really dialing in my load I am still sub MOA at 200 yards. I have nothing bad to say about OMR at all, just all positive’s. Very personable guy on the phone and email and delivered above the standard he set.

I don’t think anybody ever said he’d eff up everything he touched but you said it yourself, you had a gunsmith do the work and it was fine. I said all along he was a terrible gunsmith. All the issues I had and other also had, along with his responses on here, where he denied nothing but just made excuses should make most people think twice. Glad you got a shooter! Thank your gunsmith for putting together a good gun!

Philsummers21

Lil-Rokslider
Well got my barrel/action back finally from OMR. Besides taking longer then originally quoted, which everything these days is taking forever, I’m a satisfied customer. Fit and finish is great chamber looks good but most importantly it flat shoots. Here is the first 20 rounds down the pipe with factory hornady precision 108 eldm. All 5 shot groups all at 100 yards.
745111986637340ef72b65fa42a96880.jpg

PNW_JWK

FNG
This is my Remington upgrade at OMR.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Attachments

• 88D9C589-A2E9-4D7E-A08D-4DE0877E0C26.jpeg
    88D9C589-A2E9-4D7E-A08D-4DE0877E0C26.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 230
  • D7CD56F1-85C3-46D9-A9ED-2E1BC1ADF195.jpeg
    D7CD56F1-85C3-46D9-A9ED-2E1BC1ADF195.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 227
Doubt you notice it if it had been cerakoted honestly .. I've seen Smith's that use dremels.. looks like he did an ok job chasing the inlet.. does you bottom metal work good?

Kasey

Yaremkiv

FNG
Man that sucks, had a few "misunderstandings" with smiths on high dollar builds myself and they are never fun. Glad you ended up with a rifle that works. Its important to trust the guy thats cutting into thousands of dollars of parts.

PNW_JWK

FNG
Doubt you notice it if it had been cerakoted honestly .. I've seen Smith's that use dremels.. looks like he did an ok job chasing the inlet.. does you bottom metal work good?

Kasey
My expectations were higher than hidden, uncoated, and sloppy machine work.

PNW_JWK

FNG
What was his response to the pictures?
Had me send the gun back. Disappointed in the whole process. First thing I noticed was the scratch on the muzzle break. The QC is lacking.

Attachments

• C62CA755-20B4-4784-A047-9607618011DE.jpeg
    C62CA755-20B4-4784-A047-9607618011DE.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 108

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
This is my Remington upgrade at OMR.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
Man that really sucks. Had a bad experience myself with OMR and when calling Lee to resolve the issue he didn’t want to come close to what was needed to try and make it right. If it was a simple mistake and he would have corrected it then awesome but it was more like horrible gunsmithing and would require new parts to really make it the way I expected which I thought would have been very doable. Now I have spent money with another gunsmith to make it functional.

PNW_JWK

FNG
Man that really sucks. Had a bad experience myself with OMR and when calling Lee to resolve the issue he didn’t want to come close to what was needed to try and make it right. If it was a simple mistake and he would have corrected it then awesome but it was more like horrible gunsmithing and would require new parts to really make it the way I expected which I thought would have been very doable. Now I have spent money with another gunsmith to make it functional.
At the end of the day I will end up with the rifle and would have preferred my money back. I asked, and the question was avoided.

He did pay for shipping.

Anyone put any thought into Omr barrels people wondering who he gets em from? Same with Howa everyone thinks omr making their barrels. Logics tell me Howa has ten times the man power and machining expertise so maybe it’s as simple as omr are useing Howa blanks?

eric1115

WKR
That really sucks man. Everyone drops the ball now and then, it's how they pick it back up that makes the difference between a good relationship and a bad one.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Was looking at Tikka aftermarket bottom metal and stumbled across the OMR name in other posts, then saw the OMR Tikka upgrades. Looked good but luckily I searched RS and found this thread. Makes my 6mm Tikka rabbit hole a bit less deep.

At some point I may ask @Lawnboi and the others happy with their smiths for some recommendations