Gunsmith school Colorado

jolemons

WKR
I live on a ranch nearby. It's a dying coal mining town, that has turned to the marijuana industry for salvation. It has some charm and is in a cool area for outdoor recreation. I've lived in worse places, but also much better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve heard nothing but good about the school in Trinidad.

There’s also one at Flathead Valley Community College in Kalispell, MT. My son went to that school, not for gunsmith, but it’s a nice town and nice school.

What does a guy do with a gunsmith degree? Open up a shop? Seems like the old timers are retiring and not many interested in passing much knowledge along. Tough way to make a living.

Hope you’re able to work it out and let us know how it goes. I’ve always been interested in this too.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
There's also a gunsmithing school in Lakewood called Colorado School of Trades, I think it's a pretty well regarded program BUT pretty expensive

OP
D
Thanks for the replies, my son is applying for the program, sounds like bigger manufacturers offer jobs before graduation, at the moment he would like to open his own shop once he has the knowledge and experience.

OP
D
Thanks 303 will have to check that out also, I'm guessing it will be expensive no matter where he goes, all the schools are out of state, the tools are pretty spendy too.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jolemons, nailed the town description. I’ll add that it feels more remote than you would think. Pueblo is next closet town with amenities and it takes forever to get there and back, that includes towns in New Mexico. Speaking of New Mexico just outside of Raton NM is a great range for shooting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There were two places we hated going to for sporting events in high school, Trinidad and Alamosa. Trinidad was the only place where our bus tires were all slashed, and fights during the games were common........even in the stands. And that was almost 40 years ago, can't imagine what it's like these days.

danarnold

WKR
we were interested in a couple houses in trinidad, one was very nice. we checked out the area before getting real serious and opted for a dif area
saw a hell of a lot of people begging/panhandling at the exits there which is a big turn off

Wrench

WKR
Les brooks taught at Trinidad for years. He's one of the most talented smiths ever. It wasn't too long ago that you could call or email les and he'd send you a thumb drive with more info on it than you can absorb. They were about 20 bux.

When I was starting my smith shop he was a big help. I would call him with tooling ideas and he'd set me straight or cheer me on. Great guy, and if his replacement is half of that....your son will be lucky.

elkduds

WKR
Congratulations to your son and you. Now none of the family guns will be safe.

Everything I have heard RE the Trinidad smith program is (+), and that is over several decades. I think the MJ boom has improved the economy of Trinidad significantly. Lots of pot tourism from states to the south and east.

Wrench

WKR
Have your boy ask if anyone has the contact info for Les Brooks or a copy of his drive. It's a very impressive collection of notes.

I’ve heard nothing but good about the school in Trinidad.

There’s also one at Flathead Valley Community College in Kalispell, MT. My son went to that school, not for gunsmith, but it’s a nice town and nice school.

What does a guy do with a gunsmith degree? Open up a shop? Seems like the old timers are retiring and not many interested in passing much knowledge along. Tough way to make a living.

Hope you’re able to work it out and let us know how it goes. I’ve always been interested in this too.

That's what I did in NC. Two years, great school. Not one bad thing to say about it. Opened the shop not far from the school. Lots of locals going to the same school so lots of work going to those students for training. Bottom line was I could not make a decent living. The local economy worked for near minimum wage. Most folks owned cheap guns because that is all they could afford. They thought I was robbing them asking $10 an hour labor when they only made $7. I had the shop and all it's expenses to pay for. It just didn't work out. I absolutely loved the work right up until payday or maybe it was bill due day. If you were in an area with a great economy, no other shops close, then maybe you could scratch out something for a living. I feel sure you would have to couple it with retail sales of merchandize but you are competing with the internet and Walmart.
My advice would be find a career that pays well. After you retire from that if you want to gunsmith as a hobby go for it. The school in NC taught me a ton that included lathe and mill work, bluing, stock work, tempering, making parts and tools and much much more.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I'm more tooled up than most gunsmith shops and I couldn't agree more. Customers think carbide grows on trees.