Gunwerks G7 BR2 rangefinder review (2015 model)

Gar

FNG
Purchased a Gunwerks G7 BR2 range finder at a local retailer in Reno, NV this week. It’s the new "2015 model" that has a range of 2500 yards and drop solutions in MRAD, and MOA (previous model did not do MRAD and was limited to a range of 2000 yards).

I tested it on a partially overcast day near Lake Tahoe around 1000 hrs. I was able to consistently range distances out to 1500-1800 yards no problem first try (things like bushes, trees, buildings, rocks). At ranges out to 2200-2300 yards I had to hold it steady or brace against a rock, but was able to get good consistent results out to 2300 yards (mostly from brush or trees). Occasionally I hit 2400 yards, and "one time" I was able to range the side/roof of a boat house near the water at 2501 yards!

I have read and experienced that the real working range of most range finders is 1/2 of what the manufacturer claims. This was not my experience with this rangefinder, though it is brand new with new batteries. In the "far" mode, it seemed to work better at hitting more distant targets without getting the range from near by trees (I ranged small objects at distance, than ranged the trees that were closer but next to). On "scan mode," I could track moving "ski boats" that were moving left or right on the water puling skiers and constantly range them at 1400-1500 yards every time and very quickly (lake was like glass and wished I was skiing not ranging!). The altitude is measured as well as the temperature, and appears to be accurate. This is truly a well constructed piece of equipment, and its MADE IN THE USA. It came with two CR123 batteries (only needs one to operate), a carry case, and a retracting wire retention device; I guess so you don't drop it after ranging that B&C Mule deer. I will follow up after I get out to the range and get the ballistic data entered for my current hunting rifle.

Note: If you are a active duty military, or first responder type, you can purchase direct from Gunwerks at a special discounted price.

Gar

From the websight: www.gunwerks.com
How do you improve the best piece of gear for long range shooting? First, tighten up the beam divergence and tune up the software to get better target discrimination and detection at extreme ranges.
Then redesign the programming menu to simplify in-the-field updates to any of the five customizable ballistic profiles; and finally, add MRAD units to existing MOA and BDC outputs to create a complete ballistic solver for drop and wind.
Press one button and the G7 BR2 measures range, pressure, temperature, and incline to calculate a drop and wind solution based on your programmed Ballistic Coefficient, Muzzle Velocity, Sight Height and Zero Range.

Use the MOA or MRAD outputs with any scope’s adjustments to dial-in the angular solution. In BDC mode, compatible with ballistic reticles and BDC turrets which are calibrated to a fixed temperature and altitude, the BR2 will calculate a corrected solution automatically adjusted for varying conditions- just dial your BDC turret to the displayed Shoot-To-Range. You will never need to swap out your turret again.

The G7 BR2 is the only rangefinder with an on-board ballistic solver for precise real-time Drop and Wind calculations out to 1400 yards and is accurate to the nearest 0.1 MOA! Using a device that only provides a preconfigured-table lookup solution in 1.0 MOA increments, without wind correction, is not an option for shooting at 1000 yards and beyond.
For tough ranging conditions in rain, snow, or bright sunlight, selectable targeting modes allow you to detect and display the distance for Nearest, Farthest or Strongest targets out to the maximum range of 2500 yards.

2015 year model features:
Maximum range: 2500 yards
7X magnification
Beam Divergence: 1.5 x 3.0 MRAD
Power: One CR123 battery (included)
Weight: 14.4 oz
Dimensions: 5.2"x 4.5"x 2.1"
Rugged weatherproof housing with GORE-TEX® membrane (Booklet that came with it says it is not submersion proof, just dust/ weather proof)

So there is no confusion should you desire to purchase the 2015 model (which coast more):

2015 model:
Gunwerks 2015.jpg
Gunwerks 2015 a.jpg

2014 model:
Gunwerks 2014 model.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I had the old one and had a few issues with it. I just purchased the new 15 model from a friend. I hope this one has all the bugs worked out.

I have the old model and am very happy with it. What issues did you experience with it Ryan? If you would rather discuss in a PM that is fine. I have used it successfully on an elk and dall sheep hunt. Next month I am taking it out for pronghorn and elk.