Gunwerks GRB Action

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I’m wanting to start a custom rifle build.. I’ve been looking at the Gunwerks GRB Action but I have not heard of a single person that’s actually laid hands on one.. I would love to hear any feedback from anyone that has shot one..

They are very nice especially for the price. Well thought out cocking piece design and easy to field strip. The ejection port is a little longer than a m700 but easy to fix that on the stock inlet.

Attachments

• 7C72B8AB-FF87-4167-A9A6-2D6949BF6612.jpeg
    7C72B8AB-FF87-4167-A9A6-2D6949BF6612.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 8A8347A0-9076-4397-B126-8B378BF7321B.jpeg
    8A8347A0-9076-4397-B126-8B378BF7321B.jpeg
    542.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 9ECD8ABB-DA03-4EAF-97DC-B91733AF6D0D.jpeg
    9ECD8ABB-DA03-4EAF-97DC-B91733AF6D0D.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 290
OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your experience..

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Any benefit to a Gunwerks Vs a Bighorn action?

Totoro

WKR
The GRB is a nice action with well thoughtout features. I played around with one at SHOT 2017 and liked the features.

Bighorn is a jump up in $$ and features, but IMO for a dedicated hunting rifle in single caliber some features arent necessary.

Another action in same price range is the Alamo Precision.

codym

WKR
The GRB is a nice action and a great value for the features. The bighorn is a great action and what I build all my rilfes with going forward. Not a good comparison of the two though. The GRB is a push feed 700 based action with a field serviceable bolt. The Bighorn is a control feed with a floating bolt head that can be switched between mag, standard and 223. There are also custom options like special mag cuts and tang thicknesses. The huge selling point for me with the bighorns is the ability to order an action cut for a wyatt extended box or ACIS AI/AW mags and the ability to use shouldered pre-fits or savage small shank barrels. No sending my action out to have barrels spun up is a major benefit for me.

WRO

WKR
I've been super happy with my rim country actions, (McMillan g30/moa rifles actions) they're close in price and solid as it gets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zed13

FNG
Used GRB actions on last 2 builds. A 6cm and 6.5PRC. for the price and function they have been soild. The 6cm is used for long range/PRC style competitions, and have had zero issues with it functioning. They are already cut for Wyatt box, so able to run 115 dtac and 147 M bullets without having to seat them to normal SA COL. Had looked at just buying a 700 action and getting it worked over, but cost was same and I was money ahead and nicer features just going with GRB action. Just depends on what your looking for in a action. There are definitely nicer actions out there, but everything comes with a price.

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking of doing a 300 PRC with the GRB Action, Proof Barrel, triggertech trigger, and Magnus stock.. right now I’m just dreaming about it, but I’ll get going eventually!

I had GA Precision build a 300 PRC with a Proof Carbon Sendero. The action was a stainless 700 long action magnum, I had it blueprinted and had the Neseka/GA side bolt release mod done. With the cost of the action, a quality scope base, a Precision ground recoil lug and all of the work I came up to just about what a GRB action would have cost.

Then I had a .260 Rem built on a GRB action with a Krieger M24 contour barrel and had nothing but bad experiences with the company that did the barrel work...a well known company at that. I ended up paying twice for a barrel fitting in the end as I sent the barreled action to a competent gunsmith, GA Precision again, and since its return I have nothing but good things to say about the rifle. It is a quality action and well thought out as others have mentioned. I will say though that their website as of last time I checked was incorrect about their scope bases. I ordered mine with a 30MOA single piece but they no longer do them, instead I got a 20MOA single piece and that is my only complaint...if you can call it that as it wasn't a huge deal. They also offer a MIL discount which made it even more enticing and affordable. If I have another rifle built I will definitely go with a Gunwerks GRB again.

@Cahunter805 I bumped into your post just now and appreciate the feedback you gave. I'm doing a .300 Win Mag build for a rifle build similar to yours and have been looking at the Bighorn Origin, Kelbly Atlas, Defiance Rebel or the Gunwerks GRB. I'm very tempted to get the Gunwerks action because a friend of mine will sell his to me for $500. This is my first custom build and I don't know enough to decide between all these recommended actions but feel like the GRB is a no brainer at that price. Someone else recommended the Lone Peak Razor action as well. So many choices! What did you use for a trigger and safety on your build? Your rifle is really nice looking and exactly the type of build I want to do. Did you have the action and barrel cerakoted? I prefer black as well and whoever coated yours did a sharp job.

I have a grb as my first custom action and since have gotten 4 origins. My personal preference is the origin by a mile. So much more smooth and the bolt lift is a fair amount lighter. Still a decent action and really those are small personal preferences. I have had no issues with it however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a grb as my first custom action and since have gotten 4 origins. My personal preference is the origin by a mile. So much more smooth and the bolt lift is a fair amount lighter. Still a decent action and really those are small personal preferences. I have had no issues with it however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this helpful comment. Since this post, I've made some decisions based on what I want this rifle to be and have narrowed things down to the Kelbly Atlas or the Zermatt/Bighorn Origin (I'll have to ask them what's the deal with their company name - I noticed the old Bighorn site and pages have moved over to Zermatt branding only). Lots to like about both actions and plenty of good reviews. Perhaps it boils down to how much I intend on changing calibers and barrels? Both do shouldered pre-fits but the Origin makes it far less expensive by having a bayonet style bolt face that can be easily swapped out for $125 vs the Kelbly which you'd have to buy an entirely separate bolt (I think around $450) if going between magnum and standard cartridges. I believe the Origin is a controlled round feed vs a push round feed with Kelbly but I'm more agnostic on the feed style and it's not enough to push me one way or the other.

I had a rifle built on a GRB action and it was very nice but wouldn’t be my choice in a budget custom action. I feel that the TL technologies action offers better fit and finish and more features for less. I also have heard that Mac Brothers should have their Evo action in long action stainless out soon and based on their TI and stainless short actions I’ve handled it would be my first choice. Both of these actions should come in under $750.

For just over $1000 I feel the Kelbly Atlas would be my choice.