Gunwerks Revic EXO Rear Peep Sight Review, By Jim Carr

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Muz-1.jpg

@Jim Carr has been hunting with muzzleloaders for years. And has used adjustable peep sights to maximize his range. Needless to say, he was excited to test out the new Gunwerks Revic upon hearing of its release. Take a look at his review to see what it took to get it mounted, sighted in, and dialed for long-range shots.

Gunwerks Revic EXO Rear Peep Sight Review

Billinsd

WKR
Excellent review Jim!!! I've been anxiously awaiting it. I think I talked to the same tech at Williams. That formula to calculate how much higher your front sight needs to be is: (sight radius)(error at target)divided by distance to target. Sight radius is distance from front to rear sight, error at target is how low or high the bullet strikes. All units must be the same, I used inches. Here is a calculator http://www.sdmfabricating.com/sightcalc.html
I use a Williams FP Legend on my Knights with a target screw for elevation. The Williams tech said to use Vibra tite, a sorta lock tite for the gib and elevation set screw that must be backed out a bit, so that the Target knob can move. The vibrant tite keeps the gib and set screw from moving. The Williams FP Legend Target screw has 20 clicks per revolution and there are 40 revolutions in one inch of sight travel. Therefore you have 20 clicks/ revolution times 40 revolutions / inch equals 800 clicks per inch of sight travel. For my rifle I needed 0.074 inches of sight travel for 32 inches of drop at 300 yards. So, 800 clicks/inch equals x clicks/0.074 inches. X equals 59 clicks. The clicks are approximately 1/4 moa and it takes 20 clicks to move the sight one index mark in elevation on the side of the peep. https://www.chuckhawks.com/williams_FP_sight.htm

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Gunwerks won't sell their front sight unless you have one of their rifles, because the front sight is only designed to fit their barrels. The Gunwerks rears sight has 1/2 moa increments for their rifles with there sight radius.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
To calculate true MOA for my rifle I take 1 click is 0.00125 inches of rear sight elevation and multiply by 3,438 and divide that by 25 inches, the sight distance to get 1 click is 0.1719 MOA, which is not 1/4, 0.25 MOA. 3,438 is the ratio of moa to range. So, if I invert 0.1719 I get 5.8 clicks per MOA, which the Williams tech told me, however he said I'd have to figure out the math on my own, which I did.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Glad you got the mounting figured out. That was definitely out of my league... I'm definitely not a gunsmith and had no solution for the front sight! Happy you found the extra tall front sight.

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Great Review, Jim! The Revi EXO Sight takes some configuring to set up on other muzzleloaders, but the guys I've seen make it work have seemed pretty happy with it! @jr8fish was pretty successful with his this year as well!

What a great review! Very interesting Peep Sight set up! Unfortunately the price point will clear out most people, but I understand...If you want the Latest and Greatest...you have to pay for it. I'll have to settle for the William Western Precision.

cjparry2

FNG
@Jim Carr Hi Jim, I enjoyed hearing from you on the Rokslide podcast back in January. I have read your Revic rear peep sight review a few times and am very interested in learning more. I bought a Remington Ultimate ML last year (have only shot it from a bench) with the Williams Western Precision ML set. I have to get so low on the stock to see through the rear peep that my face is almost horizontal. It's pretty uncomfortable and I'm not sure how that would work in the field. The Revic rear peep seems like something to look into. With the peep on the Revic rear sight so high, I'm afraid I might need an adjustable cheek piece...has the fact that rear sight is so high presented a problem for you? Also, you mentioned the high posts present a problem with the cant (lefts and rights) of the ML, do you leave the level attached to the picatinny rail while hunting? That seems like it would get caught and fall off while hiking around in the field. Lastly, what muzzle velocity are you getting out of your Knight Bighorn? I heard that if the muzzle velocity is fast enough the need to take elevation and barometric pressure into account is reduced. What do you think? Thanks again for the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

tracker12

WKR
@Jim Carr Hi Jim, I enjoyed hearing from you on the Rokslide podcast back in January. I have read your Revic rear peep sight review a few times and am very interested in learning more. I bought a Remington Ultimate ML last year (have only shot it from a bench) with the Williams Western Precision ML set. I have to get so low on the stock to see through the rear peep that my face is almost horizontal. It's pretty uncomfortable and I'm not sure how that would work in the field. The Revic rear peep seems like something to look into. With the peep on the Revic rear sight so high, I'm afraid I might need an adjustable cheek piece...has the fact that rear sight is so high presented a problem for you? Also, you mentioned the high posts present a problem with the cant (lefts and rights) of the ML, do you leave the level attached to the picatinny rail while hunting? That seems like it would get caught and fall off while hiking around in the field. Lastly, what muzzle velocity are you getting out of your Knight Bighorn? I heard that if the muzzle velocity is fast enough the need to take elevation and barometric pressure into account is reduced. What do you think? Thanks again for the article.
Hope the Williams Western ML set does not do that on my Encore. Was getting ready to order one to try.

Pippitt11

FNG
Thank you for this review...I have been looking into this Revic for some time but had always been hesitant figuring it would be quite the project to retrofit. Im now thinking about giving it a try.

Darrack

FNG
Thanks for the write up. I’m looking for a sight now that New Mexico is. It allowing scopes.

These thing look awesome...would be really nice to see some quick windage adjustment on them tho...it would allow for rifle usage as well then .