Gut meat

My uncle in NW MT hosted a couple newbies on a late season hunt. They shot two cows that they could get to with the tractor. After hanging them in the shed, my uncle cut out the tender loins and threw them in the snow bank. "Why'd you do that?" They asked.

He said "well, that's the GUT MEAT, its the first thing that goes bad, and if you leave it in it will spoil the rest of the meat".
"Oh, good, get rid of that" they said. Of course, as soon as they walked away, the tender loins went into the fridge.

Just opened the last pack of WY whitetail gut meat. This always makes me smile.

Share your favorite gut meat recipe!

My uncle in NW MT hosted a couple newbies on a late season hunt. They shot two cows that they could get to with the tractor. After hanging them in the shed, my uncle cut out the tender loins and threw them in the snow bank. "Why'd you do that?" They asked.

He said "well, that's the GUT MEAT, its the first thing that goes bad, and if you leave it in it will spoil the rest of the meat".
"Oh, good, get rid of that" they said. Of course, as soon as they walked away, the tender loins went into the fridge.

Just opened the last pack of WY whitetail gut meat. This always makes me smile.

Share your favorite gut meat recipe!
😂😂😂

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
My brother in-law calls them fish. Tried to explain that they were tenderloin, He is still convinced that they are called fish. Not sure what he catches with a fishing rod.

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
Hear them called that a lot. They’re just so damn good sometimes I feel like taking a bite as soon as I cut them out. Sushi

jspradley

WKR
This is the first time hearing that there are people who leave the tenderloins... wtf...

Do they not realize its the same cut as filet mignon on a cow?!?!

Only time I can think of to not keep them is if they get soaked in gut fluid.

As far as recipe, salt, sear and eat!!

My brother in-law calls them fish. Tried to explain that they were tenderloin, He is still convinced that they are called fish. Not sure what he catches with a fishing rod.

That's what I have always heard them called.

I thought it was because the only way to eat them was panfried.

jspradley

WKR
so this guy basically steals the best part of the animal from his paying clients? doesn't seem funny nor ethical. maybe i misread or misunderstood...

I just realized that he was the one who said they were no good then kept them... yeah that's pretty shady.

davsco

WKR
He charged them a dumbass tax. Nothing at all unethical about that.
i think that is pretty much the definition of unethical.

if your dentist charges you $1000 to remove a tooth when he could have just filled a cavity for $100, i guess that ain't unethical either? same thing, someone you paid and relied on took your money or food from you.

OP
timberland
To the comments above, they were neither paying clients or friends. They "self invited" to hunt on his land, as he owns some river bottom ground where the elk come down in the winter. Like I said, newbies looking for an easy late season hunt. But hey, thanks for the input.

Btaylor

WKR
i think that is pretty much the definition of unethical.

if your dentist charges you $1000 to remove a tooth when he could have just filled a cavity for $100, i guess that ain't unethical either? same thing, someone you paid and relied on took your money or food from you.

I have heard the OP told at least a half dozen different times over the years with very slighlty changed story line specifics. My response was applicable to the joke as told.

You analogy is far from the same thing as you say. If you are going to go in the field with the intent to kill an animal, you have a responsibility to know what parts of the animal that are considered food. Read the wanton waste regs in any reg book in the country. That in no way compares to your dentist pulling a tooth vs filling it.