Gut shot advice

csd99

FNG
This morning my hunting buddy gut shot a buck at 300 yards with a 6.5 creedmoor using Hornady precision hunter. I’m pretty sure he hit it twice but certainly both gut shots. We went to look for it an hour later and bumped him into some really thick stuff. He only made it about 50 yards before there was a ton of thrashing and silence. About 10 mins later there was some more thrashing from the same spot. After that we made the smarter move of backing out. Only point of discussion now is how long to wait. My buddy wants to go look after 7 or 8 hours to try to preserve the meat as it’s 75 degrees here. I was kind of leaning towards waiting overnight but the meat would likely be spoiled by then. Thoughts? I appreciate any advice. We are feeling pretty stupid right about now.

SC HUNTER

FNG
What makes you think gut shot? Do you have any pictures of the blood? Possibly liver shot as well?

OP
csd99

csd99

FNG
What makes you think gut shot? Do you have any pictures of the blood? Possibly liver shot as well?
No pictures of blood but he was hunched as he slowly walked off and was bedded within 100 yards of the shots. Based on testimony of buddy I believe it likely it was liver+stomach

Sounds like he’s hit hard and hurting. I personally don’t like waiting on one, and I know it’ll bite me at some point. Knowing he’s hit hard, but he’s been bumped, I’d be back after lunch time. Give him an hour or two. Try slipping in but if you bump him, I’d push hard. But ease in if at all possible.

SC HUNTER

FNG
It sounds like he's hit hard and dying. I'd go in in a few hours as quiet as I could and try to catch him in his bed if he's still alive. Hopefully he's dead in his bed now but who knows. I don't have to do this often as I have a mutt that I will put on a hurt deer and he'll go in and bay them and try to kill them. He's an idiot and thinks he's 150 pounds instead of 70 pounds of determination and grit. Good luck on your buddy's deer, keep us posted.

Fowl Play

WKR
Sounds like you already bumped him. Considering it doesn't sound like he ran into the next county, He is hit hard. Not sure how far away you heard the "thrashing" but... if it was close and kept coming from the same spot, I would have tried to close distance quickly and finished him off.

Personally sounds like you will have a dead deer in an hour or two. I would not wait overnight and potentially have the meat spoil.

If at all possible, try to stalk to his approximate location from downwind of him. A hurt buck is not going to bolt unless he sees you or smells you until you are very close. Be ready to put another round in him.

Last edited:
OP
csd99

csd99

FNG
Thanks for the advice everyone. I do agree he’s hit hard. I would estimate he only moved 50-70 yards after he was initially bumped. As he was laid up on a property line we didn’t want to make the situation worse but we are close with the neighbors. Worst case we make a phone call. Will keep you all posted.

OP
csd99

csd99

FNG
Thank you all!

Did it go far from the thrashing sounds you heard?
How far from the last point yall heard him was he and where in the body was he shot at? I'm invested in this now :ROFLMAO:

It ended up being straight through the liver and a bit of the stomach. He probably died within an hour or two from when we backed out.

He died in or very near the spot I heard all the thrashing, which happened to be literally touching the property boundary. One of his tines was poking through the fence. We are very glad we backed out! Here’s one more pic for the road. Gotta love the view from behind!

Attachments

• 2FBF8549-19FE-48B4-BC20-C1E534363C8A.jpeg
    2FBF8549-19FE-48B4-BC20-C1E534363C8A.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 52

Fowl Play

WKR
Thank you all!

It ended up being straight through the liver and a bit of the stomach. He probably died within an hour or two from when we backed out.

He died in or very near the spot I heard all the thrashing, which happened to be literally touching the property boundary. One of his tines was poking through the fence. We are very glad we backed out! Here’s one more pic for the road. Gotta love the view from behind!
Good to hear! Every hunter has felt that instantaneous rush of relief after hours of anxiety.

Now go take that rifle to the range :) two back to back gut shots sounds like scopes off.