Gutless and hides?

If you want to keep the hide from your elk and have it tanned in one piece....do you make the initial cut along the belly and skin up? Is gutless field processing that much harder having to wrestle the legs first? Is there less cut hair on the meat by going through abdominal skin vs. dorsal cut? Seems the best tanned hide to work with would be the back, so is it worth avoiding cutting it in half?
What is your experience and recommendation?

You only have to wrestle it if you shoot it someplace really steep. We had a gutless hide tanned a couple seasons ago and everything went great. One thing to keep in mind, plan out the cut up the inside of the legs before you get to work, we were a bit hasty and it wasn't even side to side. Still came out awesome, but something we learned.

It has arrow holes in it also...

OP
A
Thanks for the confirmation guys. That's about what I figured but was wondering if someone would point out something obvious that I was overlooking.

And I'm hoping for a matched pair of arrow holes as well.......

Thanks for the confirmation guys. That's about what I figured but was wondering if someone would point out something obvious that I was overlooking.

And I'm hoping for a matched pair of arrow holes as well.......

The obvious part to me is how heavy the hide is. Make sure your not packing it far. I know of a few that didn't make it out of the woods.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always wanted a tanned elk hide since the time I started hunting them four decades ago. And after dozens of elk on the ground......I still don't have a tanned hide. It's just not that big of a priority after I've hauled the meat out. I have brought out several capes though.

OP
A
Yes, another trip with another load is also a consideration. Hot or nasty weather may also influence the decision.

Anybobdy have a verified weight on a green elk hide?

I'd say north of 75#. Depends on exactly how much you take. Less of the neck the more weight you can trim off. That section of hide is thick and heavy. Also the legs add up. I'm trim in an oval and carry that.

Yes, another trip with another load is also a consideration. Hot or nasty weather may also influence the decision.

Anybobdy have a verified weight on a green elk hide?

OP
A
Just about as I figured. But I needed to ask because all I can do is figure, no first hand experience.....yet. All this makes for some mental gymnastics while self isolating. Hard to believe all the “what if’s” and “plans” I have come up with. This info helps me dial in my extraction plan for killing a giant bull in my favorite basin about 8 miles from the trailhead. Would like to get all the meat and the hide without any spoilage or injury in the 80 degree weather.
I’ll let you know how it goes...........