Gutless Styles

I'd love to see this done. Very interesting.
Apologies for not being more clear...

You need a saw, to do the ‘dinner plate’ method.

Basically you’re removing the ribs and portion of spine the tenders are attached to.

You saw through the spine, and then with knife cut away all that is holding the last few ribs onto the carcass.

You’re left with a plate sized chunk of spine and rib, that when flipped over, have the tenders perfectly attached, and ready for carful removal.

I'm wondering about spinal fluid getting on the tenderloins...does it affect the taste?
dang. I’m too lazy to haul a saw around. The only thing I’ve found that helps is to wait and do the tenders last. After everything is removed CAREFULLY poke a hole in the belly toward the front of the animal. It’ll relieve some of the gases and it’s slightly easier to remove the tenders.

rbljack

WKR
I was just reading about the cut on the ribs and spine. Im wondering if one of those wire saws that I use for pelvis bones on deer would work for that. Not sure its long enough....but its pretty light to carry
spin_prod_252713001
this is mine.

hobbes

WKR
It's not that hard to just cut both ends of the tenderloins and pull them out. If too much pressure builds up on the inside, I make a relief cut in the belly and let the guts bulge out that direction. Make sure you don't actually cut the guts open or you'll look like the guy in the video.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only thing I’ve found that helps is to wait and do the tenders last. After everything is removed CAREFULLY poke a hole in the belly toward the front of the animal. It’ll relieve some of the gases and it’s slightly easier to remove the tenders.

After I'm done I do the same just to relieve the pressure, and then just reach in with my hands and pull them away from the bone. That's pretty easy and you can even pull them away from the top and bottom end sometimes without even needing a knife in there.

Ucsdryder

WKR
It's not that hard to just cut both ends of the tenderloins and pull them out. If too much pressure builds up on the inside, I make a relief cut in the belly and let the guts bulge out that direction. Make sure you don't actually cut the guts open or you'll look like the guy in the video.
Interesting. I’ve always just poked the belly and let the gasses out but I like the idea Of cutting the lining and letting the guts spill out. My tenders this year were shredding pretty good because I was tired and done messing with them. At 12am you quickly lose patience with anything that isn’t cooperating.

Elite

WKR
I don’t have a favorite method or video to recommend...but I can describe a cool technique for removing the inner tenders.

About the 3rd or 4th rib from the end, cut the spine(above the top of the tenders)
Fillet off the ribs from connective tissues, and peel back the whole dinner plate section.

The tenders are neatly attached to the underside, and can now be delicately removed.

Any picture of this process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Interesting. I’ve always just poked the belly and let the gasses out but I like the idea Of cutting the lining and letting the guts spill out. My tenders this year were shredding pretty good because I was tired and done messing with them. At 12am you quickly lose patience with anything that isn’t cooperating.
Been there, done that.

Mine always come out looking ragged and I know there is a lot being left behind (tenderloin)

doing the gutless

tdot

WKR
While we’re at it, how about proof of sex? Like how big of a piece of hide do you leave and are there any special precautions? Any tricks here?

I skin out the nuts, split them and then leave one attached to each quarter. Nothing nasty left to get on the meat. The same thing works with the udder.

I had them wrapped up in pastic bags once and the CO ripped the bag and nut sack off as he was digging thru the game bag inspecting the meat. He then tried to write me up for not having proof of sex attached. His excuse was he thought it was something separate from the meat. After that I started skinning them.

Any picture of this process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, no.
Took one years ago, but have since deleted it.

Lots of ways to get the job done, but I too have had issues with getting the tenders out whole and clean.

You guys that just reach in, ever cut the last rib and cartilage, so your hand fits in there better?

Finch

WKR
After I'm done I do the same just to relieve the pressure, and then just reach in with my hands and pull them away from the bone. That's pretty easy and you can even pull them away from the top and bottom end sometimes without even needing a knife in there.

Once completed with everything else, I guess you could zip up the whole belly with a gut hook like you were going to field dress one and let the guts bulge/fall out a bit. Even have that much more room.

Removing the tenderloins does seem a little intimidating with the gutless method but I feel it's something I can definitely figure out when the need arises.

Scoutfarm

FNG
I don't have a favorite video. I watched one a long time ago, but don't recall who.

I've always opened down the spine. It's an easy incision to make. From there it's a simple matter of folding the skin over toward the belly as I use the knife. Everything comes apart after that, same as always, they are just laying on their side.
Here’s a link to a video.

rbljack

WKR
thanks for that video link. Never seen that done before, but looks like it could be pretty quick. I wish he would have continued showing the cutting at the back portion though. I see how he got access to them, but didn't see them trimmed at the back. Looks like I may have to experiment on a deer or two this year with this technique. thx!

peterk123

WKR
Is it possible to still use the gutless method if you intend to take the ribs? One of my favorites, at least for deer, is to smoke and barbecue the ribs. Thx Pete

hobbes

WKR
Is it possible to still use the gutless method if you intend to take the ribs? One of my favorites, at least for deer, is to smoke and barbecue the ribs. Thx Pete

I "rib roll" all the meat off of the ribs while going gutless. I would not go gutless if I wanted the actual ribs.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Once completed with everything else, I guess you could zip up the whole belly with a gut hook like you were going to field dress one and let the guts bulge/fall out a bit. Even have that much more room.

It's not that bad, still plenty of room to get a hand in there. Just push the stomach down with one hand and reach in with the other.

Doesn’t anyone leave the skin on for quartering? If I’m not worried about spoilage, I’ll often quarter with the skin on and then remove the skin while hanging.
This usually results in more hair on
the meat vs skin off first, then removing meat, every time I've done it.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
i often do that.

it is easier and cleaner to get the skin off hanging legs.

if it is cold enough i leave it on until i get to the truck.