Guys that use drop charts...

Geewhiz

WKR
Where do you keep them? I see some guys tape them to their stocks, or on top of their scope, or inside their scope caps.
I know the cool thing to do these days is to get a kestrel and use a pile of electronic devices to get real time dope but I'm not there yet.

Just trying to figure out what the best option would be. I would just tape it to my stock but its textured and I don't think it would stick well.

Extra points for pics.

Thanks

Netherman

WKR
I laminated mine and then taped it to the stock with tenacious tape (belt and suspenders). I have it oriented to where I can see it by turning the rifle slightly (some call this upside down). I've also done it on the forearm because I had a stock pack on the rifle, but prefer the stock location.

I'd like to give the HPG stock cuff a try but would want it without the bullet holders and have been using the '06 lately and don't need the added height.

rootacres

WKR
IMG_4480.jpg

I velcro it on my stock upside down so when I look down at it right before I shoulder the rifle everything is right side up. I hope that makes sense. I also save the Hornady dope chart as the background on my iPhone. Ive never actually used it that way but it would be a pretty easy reference.

davsco

WKR
sorta dependent on hunting conditions. i was in a blind last time elk hunting and taped some blue painters paint to my elevation turret with drops thru 600 yds in 100yd increments. i generally hold vs dialing. could also tape to back of hand, side of stock etc. throughout the day i also just tried to memorize. could also stick the tape to the blind or the tree you're hunting beside etc.

will try to find a pic, at matches i use those flexible twistie thingies that can be used to secure extension cords. i wrap one end around the scope in front of the front ring and then put a loop in the other end to which i apply the blue tape with drops listed on it.

davsco

WKR
nice thing about the tape is it's super easy to update/change as atmospherics change during the day.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Well my first choice would be stick it right the side of the stock, but I've got an HS stock that's got fairly aggressive texture.

Lets change the question to: If you couldn't tape it to your stock where would you put it?

Wrench

WKR
I keep one on the stock and one in the back of my agc pack......right next to this handy dandy tool called the mildot master.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I have always just memorized drops and do for other rifles but in this case i've got drops every 50 yards to 1500 so that likely won't be happening anytime soon. haha

No I don't plan on shooting at a live animal at 1500 but my chart will get me in the ballpark when dorking off shooting rocks and such.

I like the rangefinder pouch/bino harness idea.

Antares

WKR
I have this little Simms pouch. Probably designed to keep your fishing license dry in your waders. I love it. I keep all my tags and other paperwork in it. I put my drop chart up against the clear window. I keep it it the back pocket of my Marsupial bino harness. Super easy to pull it up, peak at it, and slip it back down. Plus, it’s super easy to swap out or update because it’s not laminated or anything. I just print off a new one, fold it up, and put it in the pouch.

65415EF8-F351-459E-A361-ED62F28D3DE9.jpeg57DCDCB6-92FE-4274-8CFC-8FC97EFC852A.jpeg

Hundred yard increments from 100 to 600 yards, no windage for the big gun, double sided taped into the inside of the rear flip up scope cap.
Like this (not my pic, stolen from internet)

Attachments

• 5C494210-1429-4B95-82F7-4A3BD753683B.jpeg
    5C494210-1429-4B95-82F7-4A3BD753683B.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 79

archp625

WKR
I have this little Simms pouch. Probably designed to keep your fishing license dry in your waders. I love it. I keep all my tags and other paperwork in it. I put my drop chart up against the clear window. I keep it it the back pocket of my Marsupial bino harness. Super easy to pull it up, peak at it, and slip it back down. Plus, it’s super easy to swap out or update because it’s not laminated or anything. I just print off a new one, fold it up, and put it in the pouch.

View attachment 320351View attachment 320352
I like this idea a lot. may work this in on my next hunt instead of taping on my stock.

Ram94

WKR
Mine is in a laminated card pouch and taped to my ranging binos. For me, I like the idea of it being attached to either the rifle or the range finder so it won't get lost. If you lose one of those two things, you're hooped anyways.

WCB

WKR
I usually tape it to the stock and I also have a small laminated print out I just put in my chest pocket.

For my 6.5 this year I did not tape it to the stock I just had it in my chest pocket and an extra with my rangefinder. I set up, laid the dope chart right in front of me on the ground and just looked at it nothing fancy.

I will probably tape it or attach it to my rangefinder and see how that goes. Figure it makes the most sense since I will have it right in my hand to range.

deadwolf

WKR
6493d5ca9618bb02c85e27cbe1c74c04.jpg

I use a kestrel…but keep it right here as well for expected environmentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk