guys who have hunting trailers, would like input

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
it seems so hard to figure out nowdays,,,, i grew up hunting and my dad had this old '70's 18 ft nomad, with the old style propane heater that killed people. this trailer was so well ventilated that CO couldn't build up though. during super cold hunts, even with heater on high, i would wake up with ice on the buckets we used for the toilet (only at night, the water pipes had long since stopped working) but we could beat the heck out of it and didn't care what really happened to it.

so i now have a big 33 ft toyhauler 5th wheel, more for the whole 4 person family to go to different places,,, but it is a tough rig to take up hunting. plus kids are getting grown up, usually just me or me and one of them. so i need to update

my pros and cons of my particular 2007 5th wheel for hunting.

pros- comfy, lots of room, has a 20 gallon gas tank, big refrigde, nice inside toilet, fifth wheels tow nice.
cons- too big and tall to go very far back on dirt roads for hunting, especially if lots of trees (ask me how i know),,,, its heavy, taking hitch out of bed is getting old. my truck is a diesel and trailer only has on fuel tank, for gas

my question is who has found the perfect hunting trailer with following specs.

has to be dust proof, would be so nice.
able to withstand subzero temps
2 30 gallon reserve tanks, one for gas and one for diesel
bout 18-24 ft long.
tongue trailer so i can put atv in back of truck.
would still like a toyhauler style in case i bring 2 atv's
don't think a front bedroom is necessary, just 2 electric drop downs with kitchen and bath up front
be nice to be lifted, suspension wise
decent insulation, i have found the lite weight trailers to get a lot colder and a lot hotter, thus takes more propane.
2 7.5 gallon bottles would be nice. a single or 2 5's just isn't enough sometimes in cold weather.

so has anyone speced out a perfect trailer for hunting/dirt roads? especially out west. am i missing anything?

obviously there are some other nice things to have, super fast charger, solar panels, room for extra batteries, (i currently run 6 seperate lifeline 6 volt batteries on mine, works great.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 25" toyhauler (Rage'n 22). I had 3 adults in it last fall on a 13 day elk hunt (it can sleep 6 if push came to shove). I can haul 2 ATVs. It's a compromise as far a sleeping area vs converting to eating area (the table). I bought it because it's just my wife and I, with the occasional few more for hunting. It came setup with solar, so I have no complaints about battery power. I did freeze pipes twice (once was the external sprayer connection). The design on how they ran the pipes is pretty piss poor. I think all trailers are a compromise one way or another.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider

VRV XTR 614...

Cool little trailer. Less than 20'. Hauls 2 ATVs and sleeps 4. There are many models by many OEMs that meet the reqs you're looking for. Many of them will also make custom configurations if you call them/a dealer. I was thinking of getting a toy hauler that was mostly empty inside except for beds, toilet/shower/large sink, and storage. Even thought about having a stove jack installed so I can run a small wood burner to avoid propane supply.

I work in the RV industry (I have no direct ties to the maker of the XTR) and hot tip to anyone reading: with COVID disrupting the economy, now is a great time to get a deal on any camper/RV. Dealers have a lot of inventory just waiting to be sold to make way for next year's models coming out this summer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

22lr

WKR
I have an Artic Fox 22ft tow behind (the 22G if I remember the model number correctly), the insulated walls, sealed floor and heated tanks are a game changer for late fall camping/hunting! If you are handy you can add heater elements to any tanks, but having insulated walls in a huge help or keeping it warm and also keeping noise out. The only thing id change on my rig is I wish it had another inch or 2 of ground clearance. It's got plenty of clearance for most gravel roads (that you would want to pull a 22ft trailer down) but I always like more clearance.

But by and large, I love the Arctic Fox brand, very well built rigs, although admittedly pricy. They seem to be in the higher end for overall quality, but buying used isnt that scary if you do your homework and spend time looking over everything.

CaseyU

WKR
If money is no issue those arctic fox are top notch. With some modifications. My father in law and i both owned a pre2005. Ragen 24 toyhauler the things wrre built on steel and bullet proof. He bought his brand new in 03. I bought ny used about 5 years ago it was an 02. We live out in nv and often hunt all year woth 40 to 50 mile dirt roado to get where we are going. These things are proven. In 2004 or 2005 rageb was bought by another company and were still good but not overbuilt like the others. Doenst have a seaed plumbing but some easy diy fixes that up and winter camping is a breeze! They are few and far between for sale. We had to upgrade because of the growing fam and I still miss it.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
Take a look at Outdoor RVs, they have a good reputation and are designed for off road/off grid use. Large tankage and good ground clearance and heavy duty suspension/tires. I have a Nash 17K, built by the same guy that started Outdoor and have hauled it into some crazy places hunting. Good to lower teens with no freeze problems.

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
I have an Artic Fox 22ft tow behind (the 22G if I remember the model number correctly), the insulated walls, sealed floor and heated tanks are a game changer for late fall camping/hunting! If you are handy you can add heater elements to any tanks, but having insulated walls in a huge help or keeping it warm and also keeping noise out. The only thing id change on my rig is I wish it had another inch or 2 of ground clearance. It's got plenty of clearance for most gravel roads (that you would want to pull a 22ft trailer down) but I always like more clearance.

But by and large, I love the Arctic Fox brand, very well built rigs, although admittedly pricy. They seem to be in the higher end for overall quality, but buying used isnt that scary if you do your homework and spend time looking over everything.
kinda jealous, arctic fox makes nice stuff,,, probly out of my financial comfort zone. rarely see them for sale used. plus, do they even make toyhauler style?

22lr

WKR
kinda jealous, arctic fox makes nice stuff,,, probly out of my financial comfort zone. rarely see them for sale used. plus, do they even make toyhauler style?

I have seen a Desert Fox toy hauler (I think its the same company, NorthWood is the parent company) but ya, they rarely seem to come up for sale. The one I bought was the only used Arctic Fox trailer for sale in Alaska (based on my extensive searching, LOL) at the time. But worth it if you can find one. I just like how well built they are. Compared to our neighbors Mini-winnie its a pretty big difference in favor of the Arctic Fox. You just tend to pay for that, which may or may not be worth it based on how often you use it. Also, with the just overall heavier duty components, it's pretty heavy for a 22ft trailer, so a good truck is required.

ahlgringo

WKR

Yeah, I have a Desert Fox 28. Can put my sxs in there no prob. The thing is great for cold weather camping and I find pretty well built. Heavy though!! I actually kind if like that though- forces me to always have a real truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMDavies

WKR
Check out Ice Castle. I live in Minnesota and have used mine for ice fishing, hunting out west and as a guest house. They'll custom build anything you want.

Squamch

WKR
I’m gonna go the 18’ enclosed trailer route and modify it how i want it.

I've been trying to sell my wife on this idea. Fold down bunks and counters, dedicated hood fan and heater...be able to utilize space instead of towing a mostly empty flimsy box everywhere with us.

"I want it to be nice, with curtains and things!'

So we're looking at travel trailers :ROFLMAO:

come2elmo

WKR
there is a whole genre of "offload" or "expedition trailers" out there...you can google up options till your hearts content. Those guys are the ultimate gear heads and get pretty creative. Can be pricey though.

CCooper

WKR
Modified enclosed is what I settled on. 20’ extra tall . Insulated, added a roof mount ac/ heat unit, custom built wood cabinets, wired for a generator and 110v outlets throughout. inverter and 6v batteries. Installed a fridge, microwave, and 32” flat screen. Hauls a 4-seat lifted commander and all my gear- roll the utv out and throw up 2 xl outfitter cots when you get there. 15 minute camp including starting the traeger. The work & play seem to be decent units as well