Gyotaku

I don’t know how many folks are familiar with Gyotaku, my guess is very few hence the post. For those who fish as well as hunt and want a nice memento from a special trip or special fish it’s a fairly easy souvenir to make. I “inked” the crappie, pressed it on rice paper, my wife did a little water coloring, I made a frame. All in all, I’m pleased with our first attempt. It wasn’t nearly as complicated as you may expect and I think others may find enjoyment from the process and product.18718BA7-0D11-4FD3-84C6-FDDEBD0B1B11.jpeg

TomJoad

WKR
Nice work! I’ve read about this but never tried it. Reminds me of spore prints I’ve used for mushroom ID, sadly these lack permanence.

18E913C9-E8B9-4835-879C-44AD19BA207D.jpeg

OP
Nice work! I’ve read about this but never tried it. Reminds me of spore prints I’ve used for mushroom ID, sadly these lack permanence.

View attachment 249080
You’ve given me something to research, I’ve never heard of spore prints. I wonder if you could very lightly spray the paper with a clear coat or adhesive and get the spores to adhere?

ShakeDown

WKR
I have a buddy in FL that does amazing work. This print he gave me when I moved reminds me of my time in Florida every time I see it.

613E8480-749F-44DF-9EF7-9B49F5AECB8B.jpeg

LostArra

WKR
I don’t know how many folks are familiar with Gyotaku, my guess is very few hence the post. For those who fish as well as hunt and want a nice memento from a special trip or special fish it’s a fairly easy souvenir to make. I “inked” the crappie, pressed it on rice paper, my wife did a little water coloring, I made a frame. All in all, I’m pleased with our first attempt. It wasn’t nearly as complicated as you may expect and I think others may find enjoyment from the process and product.View attachment 249066
That is cool. Thanks for posting. I've never heard of it as a DIY project.

Drenalin

WKR
I have a print I bought on my honeymoon, but I never considered it as a DIY project. Might have to give it a try this spring - thanks for the idea!