H-4831SC out of production?

IDMONK

FNG
I’ve heard they are no longer making SC, anyone else heard this? It seems to be out of stock everywhere.

MThuntr

WKR
Hodgdon is way behind on production of a bunch of powders because of contracts. I don't think they'd just stop making it since it seems to be in high demand for many shooters.

archp625

WKR
I see it on the shelves quite a bit in my neck of the woods (NW Missouri). But this could be old stock. I will see if my local reloading store knows anything about this.

Like someone else said, a ton of guys are using this instead of H1000 or RL 26.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve heard they are no longer making SC, anyone else heard this? It seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Did you also hear GM stopped making the Suburban? :)

That’s a really popular powder. I cannot imagine that.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hodgdon is way behind on production of a bunch of powders because of contracts. I don't think they'd just stop making it since it seems to be in high demand for many shooters.

If I recall correctly reading on this a bit back, its not a production issue its a transportation issue, new regulations reduced the quantity they are allowed to have on a given ship/container or something like that so its bottle necking how much they can get here (from there the contracts take priority).

I could be off but seem to recall reading that. I went reading into that when folks started saying they couldn't find some of the other popular Hodgdon Extreme I took the hint since I use H4831SC in my two main hunting calibers and was running low so I bought an 8lb jug a couple months back to cover myself through whatever period this lasts.

Edit: FYI some sportsmans warehouses have it in stock (that's where I got mine and some are still listing it). Also powdervalley has the regular H4831 too btw.

Last edited:

archp625

WKR

The above link directly to Hodgdon doesn’t address H4831SC directly, but I suspect the unfilled demand for 4350/1000/etc is causing more people to buy up 4831.
I would guess the same thing. I have family in other states that were shooting RL 26. They cannot get it down there so they have switched to H4831SC. They love the powder though. I think people are catching on to it.

Heck I almost went that route but walked into my local reloading store and bought 3 lbs of RL 26. I hope i can get more with I run out.

2five7

WKR
Not sure where you live, but I saw 3lbs of it in Gallensons in SLC. They also had H4350 in 1 and 8 lb variety.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
They are stopping the production of H4831 not SC. In the future only sc will be available.

H4831 is a great powder. Sure it’s not as fast as RL26 or H4350, but can be very consistent and accurate. I think all this buying craziness is causing the issues of hard to find powder plus the announcement from Hodgdon. President elections coming soon too.

freddyG

WKR
I learned a long time ago to stock up on popular powders that you use when you get a chance, not when you run out. Right now it feels like it did when Obama got elected.

JDixon

FNG
Just bought an #8 H4831 a few weeks ago, SC was not available. Seems to work the same, SC meters better in the chargemaster

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Its H 4831 is the one they are going to discontinue not H 4831 SC.