H.S. Tarptent

Ozz08

WKR
I have a good 3 man tent for two guys but since I'll be solo for most if not all of my hunting this year I need to add a lightweight tent for 1. I've really been eyeballing Henry Shires tarptents. For how light they are I think I'd rather go with one of his 2 man tents so if I ever camp with my young son there will be plenty of room. So who has experience good or bad with the tarptents and do you have a recommendation? Oh and I know a lot of you love your floorless tarps but I have tried the floorless thing more than a few times and it's just not for me. For whatever reason I get a much better nights sleep in a fully enclosed tent.

muleman

WKR
I have hunted from a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. I looked Seriously at H.S. Tarptents before going with Six Moon Designs. I believe that both H.S. and Six Moon are a little fragile for a hunting tent. I even ordered my Lunar Duo with a heavier SilNi floor. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...ly-season-backcountry-hunts&p=21034#post21034

For your stated requirements I would look at a GoLite Shangri-La 3 with nest. I use the SL-3 fly as my solo+ shelter. Currently GoLite has the SL-3 on sale for 50% off. There are a couple of threads that discuss the Shangri-La shelters. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?1319-Golite-SL3-dimensions

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have posted about my Tarptent Contrail often here on Rokslide. I think it is the best single person ultralight shelter I have used.

Curtis C

WKR
I have been using the Double Rainbow for a couple years now. It has worked really well for me. Easy setup/takedown, good ventilation, durable. This tent is a little heavier than a tarp/bivy setup but like you I prefer an enclosed tent for a good night sleep.

Bowhunt 2011 017 (Small).jpg

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
Right on on guys. The durability is something that concerned at one time but I'm usually pretty good to my gear and I don't hunt much after the early archery seasons (once October hits the chase for my true love begins.....Greenhead mallards!) all I'm really concerned with is condensation. How hard is it to control in these tents?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Contrail, like many single-wall tents, does condensate under some conditions. This is greatly mitigated by keeping the door open, when you can. Another trick is using a stick between the foot poles to give the foot of the tent a little peak.

Curtis C

WKR
Right on on guys. The durability is something that concerned at one time but I'm usually pretty good to my gear and I don't hunt much after the early archery seasons (once October hits the chase for my true love begins.....Greenhead mallards!) all I'm really concerned with is condensation. How hard is it to control in these tents?

Here in the dry air of Colorado I have never had any real issues with condensation. I have had some light condensation a couple times but not enough to wet anything inside the tent.

C

I have used them for a few years in everything from sun to snow. They hold up great and are hard to beat.

horseshoe

FNG
while not as light as the floorless tarp tents, i would look at he eureka spitfire II - $140...4.8lbs. if money is an issue. we bought the spitfire I and out of the 4 of us no one was disappointed. u will NOT fit 2 people in the one man tent tho. the tarp tents look good to me for the added room and light weight, but i too don't know if i'd like floorless.

I've used the Tarptent Moment a bit and plan to use it a lot more this year. As others have stated, single wall tents are prone to condensation particularly in areas like the Pac. NW, where I hunt. I am a smaller guy 5'7" so I don't have a lot of issues not touching the walls, sitting up, and such. However, my hunting partner is 6'4" and feels extremely clostrophobic in the Moment. He returned his and I believe got a Rainshadow 2 instead. Haven't seen how either do in snow, but have heard they will do okay.