H1000 or H4831sc for 300 wsm 200-212 grain bullets

Picking up my gun from the smith in a few weeks. It’s a Tikka T3, Benchmark barrel, 1-9.5 twist in 300 wsm.
Wrong time to get into a new caliber, but I did score some Nosler brass and stocked up on H4831sc. A buddy also gave me 1.5 lbs of H1000 to try. I have CCI 250’s, but those are the only large rifle primers I have on hand at the moment.
I also managed to find 2 boxes of 200 grain ELD-X and one box of the 212 grainers. Looking at Hodgdon’s reloading data online, 4831sc should give me a little more velocity. Anyone using H1000, or is 4831sc a good place to start for these bullets? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeatBuck

WKR
Either will work. Just not sure how much good 1.5lbs will do. You will likely find a good load about the time the powder runs out and then you’ll be into a different lot of powder which may require you to go back and fine tune that good load you had.
If you aren’t looking for precision ammo then you probably won’t burn as much powder in development.
Is this a plinker or a hunting rifle?
Plinker I’d suggest using whatever powder you have most of and whatever’s easiest to restock on.
Hunting rig, if development goes quickly you should have some powder left to cook a few rounds to take on hunts. Like I said it’s dependent on how much you burn in development.
Primers you have should be fine.

OP
F
Hunting gun, not a plinker. But I got into long range shooting three years ago and I tend to be obsessive about accuracy. I’ll start with 4831 since I have 4-5 lbs of it. Goal is pretty much to develop an accurate load and get them dialed to 800, which is basically what I do with my other guns.

My 300WSM is magazine length constrained but h4831 gets pretty compressed with a 200 eldx at 2.9" COAL. I'm not sure you could fit enough h1000 in the case to be over pressure.

I'd start with h4831.

BBob

WKR
Same opinion here, you likely won't be able to get enough H1000 in the case to even come close to 4831 velocities.

OP
F
I won’t have any mag length restrictions, but I’m still thinking I’ll be better served with 4831 as you guys mentioned. Thanks! Might have to see about getting back the H4350 I traded for the H1000!

sneaky

"DADDY"
300WSM ammo is about the only thing left on the shelves these days if you run out of components lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
F
300WSM ammo is about the only thing left on the shelves these days if you run out of components lol

I haven’t even seen much of that! I bought a box for a quick break in and all they had were 4 boxes of Hornady Precision. I usually never buy factory rounds though and rarely check what’s in stock. Buddy of mine in Alaska that found all the powder he wanted in stock. Jealous.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I haven’t even seen much of that! I bought a box for a quick break in and all they had were 4 boxes of Hornady Precision. I usually never buy factory rounds though and rarely check what’s in stock. Buddy of mine in Alaska that found all the powder he wanted in stock. Jealous.

It's everywhere around here lol. I think everyone gave up on 300WSM. If I were buying a new rifle here it would be 300WSM just because I could pick up factory rounds for it.