H4831 vs h4831sc

Newbie to reloading. This is going to be used for a 300wsm with 215 bergers. I was able to get my hands on a couple pounds of h4831. Im under the understanding I want to use h4831sc. I've read that these powders are identical besides the shorter grain size of the sc. Should I still be on the lookout for h4381sc?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
In my experience the only real difference is that the shortcut meters better through reloading equipment. Once it's loaded theres no functional difference. I've heard that the shortcut may have a tiny bit faster burn rate but it seems insignificant.

OP
Eltigreblanco
In my experience the only real difference is that the shortcut meters better through reloading equipment. Once it's loaded theres no functional difference. I've heard that the shortcut may have a tiny bit faster burn rate but it seems insignificant.
Thanks for the help

Dmeis

FNG
I generally always get the sc version. Using a powder measure it hangs up less due to shorter kernels and I believe allows more consistent metering so less time you take trickling in the last bit of charge to make weight. So basically the SC saves you times

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The sc loads up a bit better but they are the exact same thing, one is just short cut. I’ve even mixed the normal one with the SC and gotten the same results as using one or the other.

EM_556

WKR
I would grab whatever is available right now. I’ve used both though with my go to load and didn’t see anything different performance wise. Like everyone said, the SC stands for “short cut” and is a little bit easier to meter. Makes you question why they would still make the regular one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Like said above, same stuff. All that is different is the size of the kernels. I did hear somewhere that they are going to only make the SC in the future. I do not know if that is true or not but would make sense to me. I use SC because that is what I found in the 8 lb jug and it works.

OP
Eltigreblanco
Thanks for the feedback. Im trying to track down what I can. Next stop berger 215's

bretm

FNG
Good info, I have jars of both and always wondered if they could be reloaded with the same recipes should I run out of one or the other.

Rhinohide

FNG
Both have the Same burn rate, short cut comes in handy if you are at max fill and not at pressure/velocity that you want you can get more shortcut in a case.

excaliber

WKR
I tried H4831sc in my 300 WM but had much better speed and accuracy with H1000. I'd rather use a slower burning powder with 215g pills.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Did you ever try H4831sc in you 300wsm and 215 bergers. I have a 300wsm now. Shooting 180g with H4350 at 2940fps with standard chamber. Wondering what to expect with 215 bergers with H4331sc?