Ha Ha China 🇨🇳 copying all the outsourced gear

We’ve been seeing it for years, American company and innovation moved manufacturing to China. The Commies make a sweet deal to get the intellectual info and then just take it over.

I’m starting to see fake Jetboil stoves everywhere under different brand names. They look so similar, what are the odds they are made in same factory? Since Johnson Outdoors bought the Jetboil brand, they moved production overseas. I still have an old American made Jetboil.

anyone who pays the premium for the “Jetboil” name is pretty much a sucker. If you are not going to buy an American made MSR, You might as well buy the counterfeit made in China stove for 1/4 the price and save some $$. Heck, the US taxpayer will even subsidize the shipping cost from China to the US

Walmart and Alibaba are selling knock off jetboils for $25

rant over ...

TheCougar

WKR
My buddy showed up to Montana last year with a “jetboil” he bought off Amazon. It looked like a Jetboil, if a jetboil was made in a sweatshop out of cheap plastic. It was a POS and we compared it to the real deal and it obviously was a made in China knockoff. We ended up breaking it apart and turning it into a flamethrower while trying to light wet kindling to ward off hypothermia.

blkqi

WKR
Keep in mind: very often these are not counterfeit products at all, but the same product being sold under a different name (sometime legitimately if, for example, the USA company does not own exclusive rights to the design). E.g. OLICAMP Ion Micro versus Fire Maple Hornet FMS-300T.

CO-AJ

WKR
Exactly why, do your research. Stick with the cottage guys like WM and SO. Members of this forum even recently discovered that Tarptent, a great brand, is globally sourced which means the tent is stitched together in China.

OP
M
My buddy showed up to Montana last year with a “jetboil” he bought off Amazon. It looked like a Jetboil, if a jetboil was made in a sweatshop out of cheap plastic. It was a POS and we compared it to the real deal and it obviously was a made in China knockoff. We ended up breaking it apart and turning it into a flamethrower while trying to light wet kindling to ward off hypothermia.

The knock off jetboil I saw felt identical.
The companies that manufacture in China, like Sitka and Jetboil don’t own the factories. What often happens is the factory will complete their order then continue making the product and slap a different label on it.

bward34

FNG
I almost bought a Harris style bipod of amazon for like 25 bucks but couldn't bring myself to do it.

mlgc20

WKR
Most of what I have seen is knockoff stuff. Looks similar. But, It's not the exact same gear with a different label. I highly doubt that "Sitex" stuff is coming out of the same factory with the same materials as the Sitka clothing.

I’ve worked in industries directly hurt by Chinese theft of US developed intellectual property, or where direct Chinese government support artificially lowers the price below what American production can compete with. It sucks and I try to not support similar theft with my dollars.

That said, there is a difference between stolen tech, and other product segments where it looks like every American company is just ordering spec builds from the same Chinese factory. I’m left guessing who really owns the design, who is selling the best quality, and who is just adding the largest markup because of their brand name.

22lr

WKR
Yall need to see the markets of Kabul! Name a brand, name a product, you can buy a knock off for fractions of the cost of the real deal. Vast majority are made of inferior material and don't hold up after a few washes but its eye opening to see how prevalent counterfeit stuff is in this part of the world. You want a pair of Bose headsets for $20? Want an Arc'teryx softshell for $15-20? Blackhawk holsters for $15 (I'm convinced these are the reason legit Blackhawk holsters get a bad rep, the fakes are literally sold by 95% of the vendors over here). Some of the Nike and Solomon shoes are actually decent and will last for a 6mo deployment... haha

It just reinforces how susceptible we all are to certain brands as status symbols. They could make good quality products over here that worked and lasted longer if they were not so busy just copying the original down to the stitching pattern.

For those who want to make sure you are getting real gear, buy from a trusted site, and if it's too good to be true, it's fake.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Exactly why, do your research. Stick with the cottage guys like WM and SO. Members of this forum even recently discovered that Tarptent, a great brand, is globally sourced which means the tent is stitched together in China.
Not all of the TarpTent line is sewn in China. Need to make that clear. Their DCF shelters and a couple of their sil tents. Lot of their tents are still sewn in Seattle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Trump has been harping on this for years.

Everybody wants a deal....until critical infrastructure items are unobtainable....and all of the jobs in the US are gone- THEN people whine about it and take notice. We need some essential manufacturing in the US, critical supplies like antibiotics as an example.

I think a guy is better off with an all metal stove in the backcountry.

______

Is it just me or do all these ripoff companies use a bizarre name generator for their brands?

Sitex, Skazka above... On Amazon even worse: “Fooker” ripoff bike pedals, “youmaker” phone cases, etc.

wildcat33

WKR
Its simple, very few people want to pay the price for made in america products, whether they are quality or not. Amazon and ebay sell knock offs by the boat load because people want it, and they can.

Most of the masses are looking for a deal unfortunately. I happily pay more for a quality USA built product that keeps our citizens employed. I hope Trump keeps playing hardball with China, it's about time someone tries to level the playing field.

PlanoDano

FNG
They copy some things that are not outsourced. I heard there was a Chinese copy of the MLD trailstar and maybe duomid on alibaba. I also hear the quality is not near the MLD.

boom

WKR
Not a fan of intellectual theft. But talk about a Trojan horse letting China have a peek at your goods. The US company looks for more profits and gets cut off at the knees by cheap knockoffs. I’ve never seen a company move production out of the USA and pass the savings on to the customer. Not anything significant.

my very old Jetboil failed. I’m not replacing it with another. I’m going with a MSR stove.

Gutshotem

WKR
No sympathy from me for any company that outsources work to the commies and has their product counterfeited.
What really chaps my a$$ is that you can order an item from china and have it shipped to you cheaper than it would cost you to ship the exact same item to someone else a few hours away. There is absolutely no reason that Americans should have to subsidize the shipping costs from S-hole countries like china.