Had to do it. Trying out a KUIU ICON PRO

Nuke Man

WKR
Been running Kifaru for a couple years. It's a hell of a pack, built extremely well. I went with Kifaru because the general concensus on RS was they are the best pack out there. Well I've always wanted to try a KUIU pack so a few weeks ago I ordered a 5200 Full kit and an 1850. I wanted to give it a look because the weight savings and bag lay out really appealed to me.
First impressions, good quality materials. Straps, buckles and zippers are smaller material compared to a kifaru. But this pack is really slick and the ease it is to swap bags is lightyears ahead of kifaru. I threw in roughly 40 lbs and fit the frame/suspension. Took some weight out and walked around my property simulating kinda a day pack type weight which is where I have the most comfort issues with my kifaru. What a pleasure this pack is compared to kifaru. I have yet to load it up with substantial weight, but I have faith it will ride just as well as my kifaru. If not, I still believe this is going to be my go to pack as 90% of the wearing time is 50 lbs and under. Time will tell, but for those wanting to give kuiu a shot, I say go for it. I just wanted to give kuiu a fair shot and not go off all the kuiu hate that I read daily on here. Especially for those guys not wanting or able to drop kifaru money.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Kuiu pack and I agree it’s a great daypack but I would advise any solo elk hunter to stay far far away from it. I dunno how much a bone in hind quarter weighs on a big bull but that taps the Kuiu pack right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went the opposite way lol. Started with the KUIU and trained all summer with it and packed out one deer. I didn’t have much weight on it and it was causing me a great deal of pain. It just didn’t fit me very well. I swapped to Kifaru and like it much better, even for light loads it just doesn’t even feel like it’s on my back. Both great options, just have to figure out what works for each situation.

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
Also to clarify, I have the older duplex frame. Not sure how it compares to the tactical or hunting frame. I for sure prefer the kuiu bag to any of the Kifaru bags I've had.

I started with a kuiu icon pro frame, 6000 bag and 1850. Very comfortable with day pack weights, up to around 50lbs. Beyond that, it was tolerable. Beyond 80lbs, it was awful. Sold it and got a kifaru hunter frame and pack. 80lbs feels like 40. I think the kuiu has its place, but its not for hauling heavy loads.

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
I was going to miss my water bottle holder, but I figured out how to put it on the pro waistbelt. Hook the upper and lower 3 bar sliders together and slide the belt through. Works slick.

xziang

WKR
I was and am still happy with my OLD kuiu icon pack with the frame that is suppose to crack a lot. Granted I've only usually had max of 50lbs in it though too and you can feel the weight that's for sure. I love the lid of the kuiu along with the compartments it has for organizing items. I still want to try and move the kuiu lid over to the kifaru I have.

For me 80lbs is going to feel like 80lbs no matter what pack I end up using even if I pick up the cabelas Alaskan framed pack back at the truck on the first load out.

They have the bets bag layout hands down. I still want to get a KUIU bag and fit it to my Kirafu frame.

I went the opposite way lol. Started with the KUIU and trained all summer with it and packed out one deer. I didn’t have much weight on it and it was causing me a great deal of pain.

I had the exact same experience. Dumped the kuiu right after the packout.

Love their bags, but not their frames. I'll also admit I'm not a fan of the Kifaru's for day packs.
Can't have everything, but I might look at going back to the Kuiu frame for day use.

jhm2023

WKR
I had a Kuiu 7200 and loved the bag, but the frame seems to be too narrow or something. I just couldn't get it to stabilize well for me. I've used it packing in for a 10 day sheep hunt and also carried 3 caribou quarters at one time. I have since found it a new home and bought myself a Stone Glacier sky talus. Time will tell how it performs but it seems to be leaps and bounds better than the Kuiu in a lot of ways.

Impossible!!!!! According to the internet lore, KUIU stinks!!!!!

Seriously, I bought a Kifaru instead and, what swayed me was the over whelming reviews. I'm glad I did. However, I have been keeping an eye out for an affordable KUIU pro full kit. I just missed one the other night cheap by 12 minutes. I've got to try one because the 1850 full kit simply screams perfect for what I do most. If that don't work, the MR popup 28 will replace the KUIU full kit if I can't find one affordable. Anyways, I'm sure it is like most things on the internet. A few people had some problems and all of a sudden it becomes the gospel.

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
Yea the 1850 is an awesome day pack size. Looking forward to Illinois whitetail season to give it a try!

kickemall

WKR
Probably the thing I liked best about the Icon Pro packs was the internal lashing system. I used that all the time. I wish other pack makers would at least add a couple loops inside to use compression straps from.

IdahoElk

WKR
I have a Ultra 3000 bag on a pro frame and so far it's done everything I could ask,coming from 20yrs on a Cabela's Alaskan frame it's a nice improvement.

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
I have full intentions of packing in with the 5200 and swapping over to the 1850 for day hunts. I was running a Mountain Warrior with Guide Lid so about 6700 cubic inches total. I was worried the 5200 wouldn't be big enough. So I packed it up with everything minus food last night. Plenty of room for 5 days of gear/clothes. The pro lid is awesome!

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I sold a kuiu 5200 full kit and 1850 bag a couple days ago(cheap). I love the size of the 1850 bag(it was perfect for WV whitetails) and the organization features of the 5200 bag were great. I never had any quality issues with bag or frame. My issue was no matter how I adjusted the suspension I could not get it to fit comfortably. I ordered a kifaru yesterday and I hope I have a better fit with it.

I sold a kuiu 5200 full kit and 1850 bag a couple days ago(cheap). I love the size of the 1850 bag(it was perfect for WV whitetails) and the organization features of the 5200 bag were great. I never had any quality issues with bag or frame. My issue was no matter how I adjusted the suspension I could not get it to fit comfortably. I ordered a kifaru yesterday and I hope I have a better fit with it.

I tell you, I have never hoped so hard that the buyer would change his mind, as I did on that one. I MISSED it by 12 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!:mad:

boom

WKR
i am so done buying packs.

chasing that "thing". at this point i should sell a few!

i hope that KUIU works out beautifully for you OP. my good friend LOVES his. i agree, it organizes fantastic.