Had to do it. Trying out a KUIU ICON PRO

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been running Kifaru for a couple years. It's a hell of a pack, built extremely well. I went with Kifaru because the general concensus on RS was they are the best pack out there. Well I've always wanted to try a KUIU pack so a few weeks ago I ordered a 5200 Full kit and an 1850. I wanted to give it a look because the weight savings and bag lay out really appealed to me.
First impressions, good quality materials. Straps, buckles and zippers are smaller material compared to a kifaru. But this pack is really slick and the ease it is to swap bags is lightyears ahead of kifaru. I threw in roughly 40 lbs and fit the frame/suspension. Took some weight out and walked around my property simulating kinda a day pack type weight which is where I have the most comfort issues with my kifaru. What a pleasure this pack is compared to kifaru. I have yet to load it up with substantial weight, but I have faith it will ride just as well as my kifaru. If not, I still believe this is going to be my go to pack as 90% of the wearing time is 50 lbs and under. Time will tell, but for those wanting to give kuiu a shot, I say go for it. I just wanted to give kuiu a fair shot and not go off all the kuiu hate that I read daily on here. Especially for those guys not wanting or able to drop kifaru money.

It’s been almost a year and I’m holding you to it, looking foreword to your review.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been almost a year and I’m holding you to it, looking foreword to your review.
Same here, it's been a year already! I used an icon pro 3200 for a 9 day early season Colorado hunt this yr and thought it was great other than the pack in. I should have used a 5200 for the pack in but after that it was perfect. Full disclosure though, I'm not a good enough hunter so I didn't have a chance to pack heavy. I read a lot about 100 lb loads from elk hunters but I weigh 155 soaked so I'm not really interested in those weights!

I've not noticed the stock icon pro straps being uncomfortable. The belt holds so dang well, it keeps the weight off my shoulders perfectly. My impression hasn't changed at all. The KUIU Icon pro packs are a very solid investment.

jspradley

WKR
I've not noticed the stock icon pro straps being uncomfortable. The belt holds so dang well, it keeps the weight off my shoulders perfectly. My impression hasn't changed at all. The KUIU Icon pro packs are a very solid investment.

That;s good to hear the Icon is that much better than the Ultra. I was very disappointed with the way my Ultra held weight

I purchased my Icon 5200 just going one year now. I checked out all the big names on my back, including the "Super K" we hear so much about on here, to each his own right? I must say that I am very pleased with my Kuiu. I use mine all the time, from down sizing it for day hikes to loading it for 5 days out (about 47Lbs) here in Colorado through out the year. Sorry I didn't get to load it with a side of beef for that ten mile up hill trek, maybe this year:p Any way once I dialed in the fit it rides great, no adjustments, no squeaks. I really like to organize my gear.

caQ8r3ih.jpg

Load going up

No slip. I actually almost bought a KUIU for myself when buying the Kifaru. For the reasons of organization. However, being I'm a pretty good hand with a sewing machine, I reasoned I would buy the Kifaru and just make me a bag that fit the bill. I never have though because I can't justify doing that when pods8 works so affordable on bags and pockets. I'm currently awaiting a bag from him that fits my hunter frame, that is a day hunter with a meat sling, Horseshoe zip, with 4(FOUR) external pockets, 2 of which are water bottle pockets, for my Kifaru frame. I got tired of digging through a pack organized by pullouts, while in a tree 20-25 foot up in the air, looking for a bow holder, screw in pack holder, call, spit bottle, water bottle, food, safety harness, light, etc..... Whitetail deer are not elk. They do look up and, have zero tolerance for a hillbilly digging around in his pack while 20-25 feet in the air. So, I may never use the KUIU. Time will tell. But, I need something that held gear where I could find it while treestand hunting

I hope. She's a tough women. However, Its been several years since having the blessing to be able to do this again. So, this is a mission. One in which I fully intend to kill an elk. At all costs. It might get ugly
You use a spot bottle in the woods? May I ask why?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sorry I didnt realize the date of this argument. Just came up in my feed. Disregard the question.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

okcaveman

FNG
I had a kuiu icon pro, 3200 and 6000 ultra. I used it quite a bit as a hiking pack. And packed out several whitetail with pack weights up to around 95 pounds. Under 40# I enjoyed it. But over that, I started having some pain. Just recently sold it and ordered a kifaru. I could have kept using the kuiu and been happy, but we all know that's not how this works...

EmperorMA

WKR
Quick question: Are Kifaru and Mountainsmith the same company with essentially the same products that are just rigged differently for each's target market?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick question: Are Kifaru and Mountainsmith the same company with essentially the same products that are just rigged differently for each's target market?

No. Both started by Patrick Smith though.

EmperorMA

WKR
No. Both started by Patrick Smith though.
Doesn't your answer mean, "Yes?"

How can both companies be started by the same man and not share platforms, design teams, manufacturing concerns and administration for economies of scale? Manufacturing, or ...even more so, hand making in the USA costs a fortune and no one in their right mind would/could do it any other way.

JD619er

WKR
Patrick Smith sold mountainsmith in the 90s so to reiterrate no they are not the same

Thess87

WKR
I run kifaru but starting out I had i icon pro 7200. My question is I’ve heard people say they get weight to there hips and off there shoulders but when I ran one if I had more then 30 lbs in it when I’d crank the loadlifters down the carbon frame would just bend down to my shoulders. My kifaru will actually lift shoulder straps off my shoulders. I’m not hating at all that’s just why I switched I couldn’t get it off my shoulders. Maybe I was doing it wrong. They are nice packs though.

rino

FNG
For guys wanting to try the 1850, the full kit is available in their outlet right now for under $300, which is what the frame and suspension normally sells for without a bag. I’ve been hiking with mine this week with between 30 and 60 lbs in it and really like it so far.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is a lightweight pack designed for guys who want to carry the lightest weight possible. Not just what the pack weighs, but choosing lightweight gear to put in it as well. If you carry 50 lbs in it while hunting, then add a 70 lb elk ham, you might not be happy. If you carry 20 lbs in it and carry out a 50 lb shoulder out first, then come back without all your gear for the heavier loads, I’m sure it will be much more comfortable.

I don’t want to carry a 120 lb pack at 10,000 feet anyways. I also expect to spend far more time hunting than packing meat, so I’d rather it suck a little more at the end than the whole trip.

I have seen others experience the plastic T fitting on the straps being a weak point, if the pack is laying on its back and you pick it up by a strap, the plastic T bears the full weight of the pack pulling on it. There is a nylon webbing handle attached to the top of the frame, if you lift the pack by that instead and keep tension on the load lifter straps, the plastic T’s shouldn’t see a whole lot of force.
Well stated. There are a lot of kuiu haters on this forum...obviously it's kifaru biased. People need to realize the kuiu stuff is definatley light weight orientated. Far more time is spent carrying a light pack weight than the actual heavy side. Very pleased with my kuiu ultra 1800 and have carried it for two seasons and hauled a few deer out and elk quarters with no issue. I'ved used it for multiday trips with 50lbs with no issue. Solid pack.

LaHunter

WKR
I run kifaru but starting out I had i icon pro 7200. My question is I’ve heard people say they get weight to there hips and off there shoulders but when I ran one if I had more then 30 lbs in it when I’d crank the loadlifters down the carbon frame would just bend down to my shoulders. My kifaru will actually lift shoulder straps off my shoulders. I’m not hating at all that’s just why I switched I couldn’t get it off my shoulders. Maybe I was doing it wrong. They are nice packs though.

Sounds like your frame could have been too short, maybe. I've had mine loaded up heavy several times, and I am able to transfer as much wt to my hips as I need. I'm not gonna say that the Icon Pro makes 80-100 lbs feel like 50-70 lbs. 80-100 lbs is a bitch after you are already physically spent and dehydrated. But the Icon Pro has performed great for me and still going strong.

Your hip belt has to be in the right place first IMO. If it is too low, the load lifters will just flex as you described. If it is high enough, the load lifters raise the straps off your shoulders and will create a gap on top of them. It’s not going to lift the entire pack up on your back though.

I agree there are better packs than the KUIU if your goal is to carry 100+ lbs regularly, but that doesn’t make it a sub-par product for its intended use.