Haglunds and boots - a (ongoing)review

I wear them under the sock. They get wet but I didn't notice any slipping or anything.

Franger

FNG
Update. Been relatively impressed with Schnee’s Granite, wearing only in the home for a few a minutes a day for several days now. There is some heel slight slippage, and I could induce toe bang on the size 9.5 pair. I boxed those up and will use only the size 10 for my comparison. They’re extremely well built but not quite as stiff as I expected based on reviews. That said, it’s a nearly perfect flex for high country elk in my opinion.

Tonight the Lowa Hunter GTX Evo Extreme was delivered. I’ve heard some hunters say that, when it comes to hunting boots, if you try on enough pairs of boots, you'll eventually find that Goldilocks combo And you’ll know it right away. Well, these could be the ones. Going up steps and into a deep lunge, they keep my heel locked in without putting too much pressure on the heel bones themselves. The toe box is moderately roomy without being sloppy. The instep volume is snug and firm without cutting off circulation. The flex is a step above the Schnee’s Granite, but not a true mountaineering flex. And, subjectively, the quality is a tiny bit above the Schnee’s.

The Crispi Guide’s arrive tomorrow. But for Haglunds Deformity, these Lowa’s seem to strike a nice balance.

Franger

FNG
I’ve had some time with the Crispi Guide GTX Insulated boots now. Biggest thing that I notice is that each brand has great features that I wish I could combine into one boot. Crispi’s rubber rand is particularly well done in comparison to other brands.

As for how it fits against Haglunds Deformity and Achilles tendonitis inflammation? Pretty darn good. And in this department, Schnee’s seems to be in last place. What do the boots that seem to fit well for feet with mild to moderate Haglunds with a high arch that supinate all have in common? Anatomical heel pockets, but with a caveat. They can’t be perfectly “on the number” fit. So for me, the solution to heel pressure and rubbing on a pronounced heel bone under the Achilles is a half size over my Brannock size with a sculpted heel pocket. It keeps the heel locked in without being so snug as to cause pressure at the back of the heel.

More to follow.

OP
J
I’ve had some time with the Crispi Guide GTX Insulated boots now. Biggest thing that I notice is that each brand has great features that I wish I could combine into one boot. Crispi’s rubber rand is particularly well done in comparison to other brands.

As for how it fits against Haglunds Deformity and Achilles tendonitis inflammation? Pretty darn good. And in this department, Schnee’s seems to be in last place. What do the boots that seem to fit well for feet with mild to moderate Haglunds with a high arch that supinate all have in common? Anatomical heel pockets, but with a caveat. They can’t be perfectly “on the number” fit. So for me, the solution to heel pressure and rubbing on a pronounced heel bone under the Achilles is a half size over my Brannock size with a sculpted heel pocket. It keeps the heel locked in without being so snug as to cause pressure at the back of the heel.

More to follow.
What’s funny is Schnees Beartooths - with a small piece of insole shaped cardboard?(I can’t remember the exact name as I bought them years ago - they just take up volume) have been actually working okay for me with no heel pads. I just can’t lace them up tight - they slip, but I’ve realized that all my footwear slip, even the ones that don’t cause blisters.

Now those Salewas, they didn’t slip but they absolutely crushed the bony parts on the back of my heels. Going uphill wasn’t a matter of blisters - it was direct pressure on those bones and pain. Probably not too bad if you had regular shaped heels where it’s evenly distributed across the entire heel, but with it being concentrated to one single 1-2” area… yeah that’s no bueno.

I wasn’t impressed with the Crispis I tried - but everyone’s foot is different. I hope they work well for you! It’s hell finding boots with this condition.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
I also have the haglund’s (or as I prefer to call them, Bauer Bumps), and both Scarpa’s and Hanwag’s have been great for me. Zamberlan’s were about the worst pain I’ve experienced while hiking.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
What’s funny is Schnees Beartooths - with a small piece of insole shaped cardboard?(I can’t remember the exact name as I bought them years ago - they just take up volume) have been actually working okay for me with no heel pads. I just can’t lace them up tight - they slip, but I’ve realized that all my footwear slip, even the ones that don’t cause blisters.

Now those Salewas, they didn’t slip but they absolutely crushed the bony parts on the back of my heels. Going uphill wasn’t a matter of blisters - it was direct pressure on those bones and pain. Probably not too bad if you had regular shaped heels where it’s evenly distributed across the entire heel, but with it being concentrated to one single 1-2” area… yeah that’s no bueno.

I wasn’t impressed with the Crispis I tried - but everyone’s foot is different. I hope they work well for you! It’s hell finding boots with this condition.
Zamberlan’s gave me the exact same sensation you describe with the Salewa’s.