Hairy Meat

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for suggestions how to get rid of the hair on the meat when processing my game. I take care in the field while skinning and deboning etc.. When I get home I spend countless hours removing hair from the meat. Anyone have a process that works for them?

EastMT

WKR
Most wild game shops use a weed burner or propane torch. It disappears quickly in a fast pass over it. The only other way is trimming. Washing doesn’t work as it’s stuck good usually.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

I have the same issue and have been doing a little reserach.

have heard a damp cheese cloth works. Also a bone dust scraper or a small propane torch. Apparently the torch burns off the hair without scorching meat.

I am going to experiment this season.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Burn it out, if you are in the wood and you don't have a Propane burner, you can have a normal burning wood and take the hair off. i take some razor blade with me too so i could take off the hair from the delicate corners of the game.

danarnold

WKR
I take great care not to get hair on it to begin with, its a lot easier with deer vs elk imo, I use a bunch of ice in a lg cooler then overflow it with cold well water which carries most hair up and out

JNDEER

WKR
recently a butcher showed me a method of cooling the hung meat with fans and as it dries the fans blow the hair off the quarters or hung meat.

Just like Azone said, torch it and keep it quick as it doesnt take much to get it off there. Been doing this for years!

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here’s another vote for a propane torch. The wife will get what little the torch doesn’t.

I wonder if a camp stove would work in the field. Jet Boil, Pocket Rocket, etc.

tdot

WKR
Here’s another vote for a propane torch. The wife will get what little the torch doesn’t.

I wonder if a camp stove would work in the field. Jet Boil, Pocket Rocket, etc.

If you have a reasonably full tank, then the little stoves work. If tank is almost empty and you turn it on its side, it's not ideal.

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
Deer and elk hair doesn't seem to impact the flavor of the meat, so I don't try burning it until I get home, then I just use the torch on the quarters. Antelope hair seems to impact the flavor more, I've heard it's the oil in it that stinks so I would consider dealing with that in the field, but usually getting antelope meat cold as quick as possible is more important than worrying about hair so you kind of need to pick your battles.

I use a 3M Scotch Brite scouring pad. Rub down the quarters. Fat sticks to the pad and so does all of the hair right along with it. I’d rather remove it than melt it to my meat with a torch.