Halibut steaks

Dcrafton

WKR
I know this is a little off the norm,
I’m looking for a great recipe for thick halibut steaks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Put generous amount of lemon slices on fillet. Salt and pepper. Wrap filet in a Swiss Chard leaf. Wrap this up in foil and grill in this "tent". Serve tent on plate and open from top so juice stays in with meat. Unreal....the best fish recipe we have found and my wife is a gourmet cook. Do not over-cook.

Thick steaks tend to come off larger fish. Sometimes hard to cook without making dry and tough.
We tend toward salt, pepper, and a healthy coating of mayonnaise and then bake for the big ones. You can get fancier, but halibut tends to just taste like what you season it with.
Like was said, don’t over cook.

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
A customer gave me two steaks about 2” thick,
What temps and Est. Times for cooking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiway_99

FNG
Google heavenly halibut. I make my own variation. But I dont have a recipe per say. Fish is done when you can insert a fork and it flakes. Test it early so you dont over cook it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Scotto

WKR
Look up almond crusted halibut. I have tried several of the googled recipes for this. All were good. As mentioned, do not over cook halibut.

Broomd

WKR
The first thing we do with a thick halibut steak is to halve the thickness. A quick run down the fillet with a knife does the trick and the meat is so much better for cooking and eating.

Thick steaks are great with some meats, but with halibut--not so much.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Put generous amount of lemon slices on fillet. Salt and pepper. Wrap filet in a Swiss Chard leaf. Wrap this up in foil and grill in this "tent". Serve tent on plate and open from top so juice stays in with meat. Unreal....the best fish recipe we have found and my wife is a gourmet cook. Do not over-cook.
Forgot the spoonful of butter!!

bobr1

WKR
Google heavenly halibut. I make my own variation. But I dont have a recipe per say. Fish is done when you can insert a fork and it flakes. Test it early so you dont over cook it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
This. Super good recipe.
Though be careful how close you get them to the broiler. As it can ignite....dont ask...

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/76659/heavenly-halibut/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Put a thin layer of olive oil in a casserole dish, place halibut steaks in oil, season with Montreal steak seasoning and "kickin chicken", bake at 350°until done. (Usually 15 minutes). Then enjoy your meal.

gbflyer

WKR
Thaw slowly in refrigerator on a rack with a pan under it. Poke holes in the bag to let the juice run out and get away from the meat. Cube it up, beer batter and deep fry. Peanut oil at 350-375. When it starts to turn from batter color to golden, it’s done. It will continue to cook after you pull it. Serve with some good cocktail sauce.

All the other recipes are fine too, but it’s a tasteless fish that tastes like whatever you cook it with. It’s very easily overlooked. If you cook it to flaky done-ness, it’s ruined.

sneaky

"DADDY"
One thing they hammered in our heads in culinary school was this "how long do I cook this Chef?" "Til it's done". Wrap it in bacon, sear it in a pan to crisp the bacon to hold its shape, then finish in the oven. Everything is better with bacon... but making your own pouch out of parchment paper and putting lemon slices, butter, parsley, salt, pepper and veggies and sealing up isn't a bad way to go either. A fellow student of mine gave me 40lbs or so of halibut when I was in school. Her husband went to Alaska every year with his company on a paid fishing trip and they had two freezers full. She was like "here, take this. Tell me when you need more". Never say no to halibut!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oregon

WKR
I catch and eat a lot of halibut. Best way to not screw up thick halibut is to chunk it up, dip in some pride of the west and drop into lake crisco.