Hall of Fame- Gear Version

OXN939

WKR
We've got a "Hall of Shame" gear thread, which is certainly very useful, but I thought it'd be interesting to try the opposite- a dedicated thread about gear that perfromed far above your expectations, especially in rowdy conditions. I suspect this will also present the opportunity for some pretty weird visual aids.

On my end, my CVA Wolf muzzleloader has to take the cake. I think it was $110 on clearance at Walmart. It is as accurate as some bolt action centerfire rifles I've seen, easy to find a good load for, simple and intuitive. No bells and whistles, but it really does the job quite well.

Next I'll go Mountainsmith Morrison Evo 2 Tent. About a hundred and fifty bucks, and has held up through three trips to Alaska, one of which involved Arctic gales on the North Slope with sustained 40 knot winds. A little beefy, but bulletproof and comfortable.

Burris Fullfield Riflescopes. About $160 usually. I've got one that's been great so far, and seem to be hard pressed to find anyone who's had many bad experiences with them. Optical clarity isn't a Swarovski, but a riflescope at that price point that is consistent, rugged and reliable is a winner in my book.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Glock Handguns. I have carried one of 3 different models pretty much every day I am hunting. I do not even think about them anymore. It can be snowing, raining, muddy or dirty and I know that if I need it, it WILL work. The reliability of them is amazing to me. I have many other handguns and these have proven to be extremely reliable.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
alpaca socks! Extremely comfortable and durable and like merino wool, you can get multiple days out of 1 pair. Supposedly they keep you 30% warmer and 30% cooler than wool. I am not sure but they sure are my favorite!

fatlander

WKR
Barronnette Ground blind. I paid about 115 bucks for it. It’s going strong through 4 seasons. It’s been through some really rough storms and a lot of hours in the field and keeps on working just fine. It’s relatively light weight and couldn’t be faster or easier to set up. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eureka tents. I have had my alpenlite xt for over 20 years. Its held up great. Last fall I lost one of the connectors and emailed Eureka to see if I could buy a replacement anywhere since the tent was long out of production. They sent me the connector free of charge, I didn't even have to pay shipping. If I ever wear out this tent, I will buy another Eureka.

LaHunter

WKR
1) merino wool base layers (pick your brand). I use FL & Kuiu.
2) fhf bino harness. This is the first one that I am aware of that started the 'modern bino harness explosion'. This is still the one that I use.
3) trekking poles (pick your brand, I use Lekki). I can't count how many slips, trips, & falls these have same me from.
4) compact laser range finders. Leica has worked great for me for the last 8ish years.
5) Swaro optics (binos & spotter).
6) InReach

I've had several Big Agnes tents that I've spend 40+ nights in annually, pack well, and certainly don't break the bank

ohoopee

WKR
My Sparrow Dream hammock. I can lay either direction and zippered on
both sides. I can swap the net out for a hard cover when its cold. My Sage
ESN 10' 3wt has been a game changer for trout.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm pretty picky with my gear, but I have a few.

My 1989 Toyota Xtracab 4x4 - going on 32 years old and still going strong.

My Davis wall tent - not much else to say.......just makes for a great base camp.

Zamberlan Dakota boots - I picked these up off of Amazon in late 2012....early 2013 for $86. Best elk hunting boots I've had on my feet. Still using them every September, even though the soles are wearing thin......might be time to send them to the cobbler.

Trophy Ridge Crush 300 arrows - Toughest and most consistently accurate arrows I've had. I've had these since 2008 and they are still all very close to specs.

Leica Trinovid 7 x 40. Bought used about 25 years ago. Been from Canada and Utah to Mississippi. Still better than most out there.

ljalberta

WKR
SLC 10x42
Inreach
Steripen Opti
Petzl E-lite
Leuko Tape

Out of all the gear I've used or continue to use, these are the ones that truly excel for what I want them to do.

Barronnette Ground blind. I paid about 115 bucks for it. It’s going strong through 4 seasons. It’s been through some really rough storms and a lot of hours in the field and keeps on working just fine. It’s relatively light weight and couldn’t be faster or easier to set up. I love it.

I have one that blew off a ridge and went 75 yards down hill because I forgot the stakes and only had sticks in hard ground. I think it was there for three weeks and got snowed on too. Picked it up, and popped it up like new. Not a hole.

Pre 64 M70’s and Toelke recurves.

Although I guess the model 70’s have such a reputation they don’t meet the original criteria.

Leatherman Wave - I don’t leave home without it.

Ruger 10/22 stainless boat paddle stock and Beeman (Hakko) SS-1 scope - 30 years, over a million miles bouncing in the top of a dog box and behind the seat of my truck with 10’s of thousands of rounds through it.
Rifle never fails and the scope has never shifted point of impact.

VernAK

WKR
Scandinavian knives have been mentioned twice before in this thread but it's worth mentioning again that the Mora and Helle knives are inexpensive, wicked sharp and they get the job done........again, without breaking the bank. I've got some really high end expensive knives that do no better and would be a substantial loss if misplaced in the tundra.

Interested in the Barronette blinds. Seems to be a lot of models without a lot of description on the website. Any recommendations? Preferably one of the tall ones so I can shoot a recurve out of it!