Hall of shame - gear version

As a kid, maybe 14... I saved up my yard mowing money and bought a super cool looking hollow tang survival knife with a built in survival kit. It was half the price of a USAF survival knife at a gunshow and the blade was bigger and cooler looking. Really slick looking piece of kit, cost me $25 whole dollars! Took it out to the woods and decided to try and cut a small tree limb, first strike and the handle snapped clean off. I was so disappointed.

I've had to relearn my lesson a few times since then, but that was my first good lesson in getting what you pay for.

Oh man!! That is so heart breaking. I also saved up my paper route money for an RC car and it wouldn't start. Those lessons you never forget. (not hunting related, but the sentiment is the same.) Sorry about that.

22lr

WKR
Oh man!! That is so heart breaking. I also saved up my paper route money for an RC car and it wouldn't start. Those lessons you never forget. (not hunting related, but the sentiment is the same.) Sorry about that.

It was a good life lesson at least. I was lucky to have parents that let me swim within my lane a good bit. So stuff like that I was allowed to make a decision and learned to live with it. I remember taking my dad to the gun show (and he is not much of a gun/hunting person) and giving him the money to hand the vendor... haha.

Some lessons you just got to learn the hard way. But boy do they suck at the time.

Hmmm....let me give that a think...yes you are right, I have been living a lie...no wait...actually, you are WRONG...When they first released them, they were marketed with a Toray kudos DWR and water resistance in both the product description and the technology puff part down below On their site. In my correspondence, I sent them pictures of both Their website and the announcement page they sent to promote the pants.

after several complaints, including mine, they CHANGED the description of the pants on their site to remove the DWR. BTW, not only were they not water proof, they soaked up water like a sponge, which I guess is a testament to their wicking potential.

Trust me, I had a very long semI-hypothermic day to think about this, went back and forth over calls and emails and I am very familiar with the topic. I also, wouldn’t put this out here on this forum, in this manner unless I was 100% certain of the information.

I didn’t start this thread as a bash page. Quite the opposite and I said as much. If you scroll through here a few people have actually had their issues resolved, including me, although I didn’t get my semi nude picture of Aaron Snyder with my Kifaru duffel bag repair, that a$$#ole.

Since you asked, here is a picture of the vintage 2015 (2016?) announcement advert from Kuiu on the alpine pant. I’d draw you attention to the top right of their description Below, the part where it says “water repellent face fabric - treated with Torah Kudos DWR Finish”.

View attachment 187677
Must have changed it later.

CO-AJ

WKR
Redhead gear. My buddy was wearing it in a downpour of rain and hail. He opens up the jacket, which was soaked, and on the inside it said “bone dry. 100% waterproof guaranteed”. I dont shop much at basspro or cabelas anymore.
If the gear I need keeps me sheltered, warm, or dry I too am not a Cabela's shopper. If it is anything else I have had pretty good luck there; although I feel Bass Pro cheapened the Cabela's name a bit.

OP
Desk Jockey
Must have changed it later.
Yes. Yes they did. As I mentioned in my original post, after I contacted them they erased the DWR from the description portion on their site. However, they did leave the description of the DWR technology on the page. At least until i mentioned that to them as well, at which point they changed that too. Also, as I mentioned, part of the reason the whole episode pissed me off was because instead of acknowledging the pants were not DWR coated as originally advertised and offering to allow me to return them, they clumsily tried to erase that feature from the description and suggested that I was wrong. They also refused to give me a refund or exchange until I got the CEO involved After several communications And even then, they made me pay for return shipping.

So again, product mistake or issues - it happens. Lying about the product issue and Bad customer service on top of that = bullshit