Hall of shame - gear version

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Vortex- had multiple failures from scopes, red dots and a range finder. They do have a good warranty, problem is they send you another vortex...

First Lite- went in deep a few years ago on their stuff. Had a pocket just fall off the halstead fleece, two crotches blow out of Kanab pants, stitching come apart on cirrus puffy, 2 merino tops come apart at cuffs.... all within one season, most after less than a week in field and no washes. I think they have gotten better and still wear their base layers because I think they are the best, but sold most of my stuff and looked elsewhere

Sitka Pack- when I was first getting started I picked up a large Sitka pack with internal frame. I didn’t know any better, only knew Sitka was a respected brand and got a smoking deal. That thing weighed 12 lbs unloaded and the material could absorbed moisture from a lake by just walking by 😂 used it for a season and still think about it and laugh

Kryptek bibs (my last Kryptek piece I'll buy) I bought them for whitetail hunting. I only wore them to the stand 4 times, the other times I wore them that year I carried them to the stand, put them on and climber into my stand. In one year the elastic shoulder straps fell apart, one leg zipper came misaligned were it wouldn't work, one of the leg snaps pulled through the material and ripped a whole in the seat.

In fairness to them, I have not. I bought it a while back and just never really thought about asking them to do anything.

I will reiterate that all my other kifaru products and experiences have been top notch. Although I question why I had to be fully naked for the pack fitting and why Aaron had to measure my inseam that many times, but that is another story...

i believe those older duffles were made by mountain ridge gear. may be worth reaching out to either.

tdot

WKR
Every kuiu hat/toque ever made. They fit weird. Or I have a weird head. But since I've never had a problem with another hat, I will blame the Autocad guy who set up the pattern for their sample head.

Chargemaster Lite = no good

Accubond Long Range = no good

MSR Dromedary Lite bags = bag is great, cap is no good

Arcteryx Leaf = no good, all replaced under warranty within 2 seasons. Arxteryx/Goretx Warranty = AMAZING!

Exped Downmat 9 = the integrated pump is one of the dumbest things ever. Pad is amazing once it's inflated.

Fortunately Rokslide has saved me from many other poor choices

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Vortex: had a razor HD LH go tits up.

athlon: not mine but my buddies, went tits up, wouldn’t focus.

I havnt has too many complaints and I think it’s because I try to do lots of research before I buy, I have lots of gripes about gear but it’s usually stuff that I would have known had I done some research before buying.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Every kuiu hat/toque ever made. They fit weird. Or I have a weird head. But since I've never had a problem with another hat, I will blame the Autocad guy who set up the pattern for their sample head.

Arcteryx Leaf = no good, all replaced under warranty within 2 seasons. Arxteryx/Goretx Warranty = AMAZING!

Exped Downmat 9 = the integrated pump is one of the dumbest things ever. Pad is amazing once it's inflated.

I though I was crazy with the Kuiu hats! I purchased one and got one for free and they were the weirdest fitting hat I’d every experience, it truly made me wonder if whoever designed/sewed it had seen a human head? I tried (big head) and wife tried (small) and worked for neither.

rm06

WKR
Biggest disappointment for me would be my Bee Stinger stabilizer on my bow. Seemed to work great at the range, but when I was full-draw this year for the first time on a bull elk my bow was shaking like crazy and I ended up shooting over his back at 40 yards! Must be something wrong with that stabilizer.

I hate it when gear lets me down like that! Stupid stabilizers... come to think of it, that's likely what made me miss a 230" mulie a few years back. At 82 yards. With a stiff side wind.

I had some of the original Red Desert Boxers that failed the same way as mentioned multiple times here, the taint area more or less disappeared. First Lite replaced them, no questions asked, highly underrated kit IMHO but then again, there aren't many underwear threads.

DNZ game reaper 1 piece mount...picked up one for my 700 06...it was so crooked I didn't have enough adjustment in my Trijicon accupoint to get to zero...when you would tighten the rings down you could see it flex the scope. That went back and I got a set of rings.

TheCougar

WKR

+1 on the MSR dromedary bags. The cap does suck, but I found out that a nalgene top will fit. I use those now instead of the leak-fest MSR caps.

TheCougar

WKR
First Lites Boundary Storm Tight (I think that’s what it is called. It’s their first generation of rain gear). Not impressed. Doesn’t shed water, laminate is bubbling away on the inside.

also, not my gear, but I watched this happen to a buddy on an elk hunt- Victory VAP arrows were terrible. He was on his second dozen after the first dozen kept breaking when shooting his archery target. On the hunt, the second dozen weren’t any better. Every arrow shot was an arrow broken. I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Last edited:
OP
Desk Jockey
First Lites Boundary Storm Tight (I think that’s what it is called. It’s their first generation of rain gear). Not impressed. Doesn’t shed water, laminate is bubbling away on the inside.

Hmmm. I have a set of that stuff. Mine shredded a bit the first time I wore it and that kind of shook my faith in it. Replaced it with some Sitka gear that has been quite good.

Decker9

WKR
Black diamond distance FLZ poles. Had 2 sets fall apart the exact same way (glue let loose).

Attachments

• 9F9F8A33-B351-4384-87C4-0248C2CFD5EF.jpeg
    9F9F8A33-B351-4384-87C4-0248C2CFD5EF.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 177
1. First like Aero Short boxers, bought them in a medium which is a size smaller then I normally wear. Literally couldn’t walk more then 5 feet without picking them out of my crack. $30 out the window.

2. Sitka’s stratus jacket, for a jacket that was quiet, it sure loved to stick up against a bark filled tree. Swore I was like Velcro when you against a tree. Also, the blue Camo pattern.

3.First Lite Catalyst jacket, bought this jacket with hopes of it being quiet and warm. Literally was almost useless for its application. Without wind blocker, it’s not more then a sweatshirt. Was expecting more of a Sitka Jetstream.

4. Savage Model 10 Predator 6.5 CM. My brother and I bought the exact same guns. His was an absolute tack driver, mine was okay, but it never would extract a spent casing properly. Sent it back and forth to savage twice and it was never fixed. Sold it.

5. Nikon BDC with the big bubbles. Not idea what those were ever for.

Redhead gear. My buddy was wearing it in a downpour of rain and hail. He opens up the jacket, which was soaked, and on the inside it said “bone dry. 100% waterproof guaranteed”. I dont shop much at basspro or cabelas anymore.
About 10 years ago I had the Cabelas dry plus gear in outfitter camo. After wearing it the very first day I named it the wet plus. Worst purchase I can ever remember. :ROFLMAO:

Moserkr

WKR
Exped syn mat 7. a mate blew out an internal baffle and it turned into a tube. then mine did it.

Did you warranty it? They have awesome customer service ime. Fixed pinholes for me for free when it was my fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk