Hall of shame - gear version

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great thread!! And I see some commonality here.

----add me to the list of vortex.
----stoney point bipods. crap.
----danner boots.
----gore tex.
----badlands packs.
-----electric socks.

Can't remember all what has been crap over the years but we usually have a ritual at the end of hunting season that involves throwing everything that was shit into a HUGE campfire.

Randy

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Easton carbon fold up trekking poles-- Tips fell off them, leaving a sharp point that would drive so deep into the ground it was hard to get the pole out.

Danner pronghorn boots- Terrible in any kind of water.

Outdoorsman tripod heads- So many guys love these things. They are not smooth on the pan and after a year or so of use, they become gritty from dust and dirt getting inside the grease. Not worth the money IMO. I hav owned both the micro and the original pan and much prefer a small fluid head from Manfrotto or the likes.

cbeard64

WKR
From reading a lot of these threads over the years one thing I noticed is that timing can have as much to do with how the same branded gear performs as anything.
For example, I have had a Cabela’s aluminum double rifle case for over 20 years. It has held up being thrown around by airlines employees and others over many, many years and is as good as new (except for scratches). Yet many since have found Cabela’s rifle cases don’t last until the water gets hot.
Same with boots. Danners used to be great. Not anymore.
Brands often go up and down in quality based on changes of suppliers or specs or materials or whatever.

rcdinaz

FNG
Agree! in the last 2 years I have bought 2 Badlands packs, solid and great features. I pretty much agree with all of the others, Danners for sure.

sneaky

"DADDY"
First Lites Boundary Storm Tight (I think that’s what it is called. It’s their first generation of rain gear). Not impressed. Doesn’t shed water, laminate is bubbling away on the inside.

also, not my gear, but I watched this happen to a buddy on an elk hunt- Victory VAP arrows were terrible. He was on his second dozen after the first dozen kept breaking when shooting his archery target. On the hunt, the second dozen weren’t any better. Every arrow shot was an arrow broken. I’ve never seen anything like it before.
I've shot VAPs for years with no issues with breaking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

firebird

FNG
Mine would be the kuiu yukon gaiters, love the looks and fit of them......but I go through a pair a year. Either get some fraying, or the last set the bottom strap tore off. Was forced too try another brand. As far as their other gear, I like it and it works but it feels like I ordered from baby gap. It all runs small for me.

Same with the Yukon gaitors. Broke the top strap once and the second time the snap on the bottom. They are comfy and waterproof but I kill 1 every season. Kuiu does replaces them

As mentioned earlier, Big Agnes Flycreek UL1 was a horrible tent. Side winds flatten it, and the foot section is so tiny size 13 feet on top of a Thermarest UL pad hit the roof. Spent a miserable Sept Stone sheep hunt in the thing, then sold it cheap with full disclosure of the short comings.

Big Agnes sleeping pad. Mine had about a thousand holes in the last 18”. Spent a miserable two week Stone sheep hunt sleeping on the ground, except for my 4 sections of Z-lite glassing pad that helped a bit. As you can tell I had a bad run with Big Agnes products and their gear isn’t allowed anywhere near me ever again.

I almost cut an elk hunt short because of a pair of danner boots. I will never own another pair

gldenhwk

FNG
From reading a lot of these threads over the years one thing I noticed is that timing can have as much to do with how the same branded gear performs as anything.
For example, I have had a Cabela’s aluminum double rifle case for over 20 years. It has held up being thrown around by airlines employees and others over many, many years and is as good as new (except for scratches). Yet many since have found Cabela’s rifle cases don’t last until the water gets hot.
Same with boots. Danners used to be great. Not anymore.
Brands often go up and down in quality based on changes of suppliers or specs or materials or whatever.

The thing with this too is the consumer expectation, shareholder demands, changes in exchange rates, material costs, and shifts in marketing play a big role in this too.

Danner Acadia's have always been very good boots and are still today. Big difference is that they were $180 15-20 years ago and now are over $250-$300. So when we look at the aforementioned Pronghorns, they fall in that $180 range and now we say, "Danner sucks because these $180 boots were not as good as Danner's $180 boots from 20 years ago, oh how the brand has fallen" when in reality we are not comparing apples to apples. But the Acadia is not a hiking boot .. it is a duty boot designed for a completely different purpose then Lowa, Hanwag, Scarpa, etc. so again, are we comparing apples to apples.

Not to mention these companies are now owned by a conglomerate more than half the time that demand a return on investment so they get marketing involved to push cheaper, higher margin products that don't stand up so they can push there quarterly earnings in the right direction. Consumers have also been groomed to expect high value out of low costs due to this marketing and honestly, most hunters probably spend 2-5 days total in a year in some of this equipment so it gives the impression that it "lasts" but it really doesn't. And places like Cabelas and Bass Pro dive head long into this game because it fits there business models, so it makes sens why your case from 20 years ago has held up, because the same case now would likely be 150-250% more money then it was 20 years ago but ppl don't want to spend it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The thing with this too is the consumer expectation, shareholder demands, changes in exchange rates, material costs, and shifts in marketing play a big role in this too.

Danner Acadia's have always been very good boots and are still today. Big difference is that they were $180 15-20 years ago and now are over $250-$300. So when we look at the aforementioned Pronghorns, they fall in that $180 range and now we say, "Danner sucks because these $180 boots were not as good as Danner's $180 boots from 20 years ago, oh how the brand has fallen" when in reality we are not comparing apples to apples. But the Acadia is not a hiking boot .. it is a duty boot designed for a completely different purpose then Lowa, Hanwag, Scarpa, etc. so again, are we comparing apples to apples.

Not to mention these companies are now owned by a conglomerate more than half the time that demand a return on investment so they get marketing involved to push cheaper, higher margin products that don't stand up so they can push there quarterly earnings in the right direction. Consumers have also been groomed to expect high value out of low costs due to this marketing and honestly, most hunters probably spend 2-5 days total in a year in some of this equipment so it gives the impression that it "lasts" but it really doesn't. And places like Cabelas and Bass Pro dive head long into this game because it fits there business models, so it makes sens why your case from 20 years ago has held up, because the same case now would likely be 150-250% more money then it was 20 years ago but ppl don't want to spend it.
You spent way too much time typing that out when it could be summarized in one sentence. Danner quality went to crap once they started importing boots from China.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree! in the last 2 years I have bought 2 Badlands packs, solid and great features.

While I would agree with this, I think it depends on the hunt and style. What are you using them for?

I just want to clarify for both guys looking for a day pack but also guys wanting to cheap out for a sheep hunt or something. I’m talking about this in an upcoming podcast and would like your perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
Anything with the Redhead name.

Vortex and tracking or lack thereof.

Badlands broke my heart a few years back and now I have a expensive bombproof pack with a rhino head logo, worth every penny.

Cabelas not so Dry Plus.

These are the four biggest screw ups for me.

rcdinaz

FNG
Jordan Budd

Agree I have a Kuiu and an SG for larger packs. I use the Badlands and Eberlestock for day packs or an overnighter, I like the scabbard and rifle carriers for day to day use. I also like the built in pistol holster on the badlands. Reality is I use the SG 80% of the time.

Hey @Desk Jockey,

Eric, the owner of Mountain Ridge Gear is one of my best friends. He is not on Rokslide but I told him about this post and he said he will replace your duffel, no problem. Send me your contact info and I will get it to him.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Desk Jockey
Glad to see companies standing behind their products. FWIW I sent my kifaru duffel bag back to them and am still waiting for it to come back. For my troubles, I asked for an autographed, semi-nude but tasteful photo of Aaron. I am thinking shirtless Vladimir Putin or 70s Burt Reynolds stretched out naked on a bear skin rugged. I can’t wait to see what they send. Will share when it arrives.

OP
Desk Jockey
Hey @Desk Jockey,

Eric, the owner of Mountain Ridge Gear is one of my best friends. He is not on Rokslide but I told him about this post and he said he will replace your duffel, no problem. Send me your contact info and I will get it to him.

Mark

Missed this post while traveling this week. Duffle went to Kifaru last week along with the above mentioned request for tasteful but sexy photo of Snyder. I will keep the rokslide community apprised of any progress on all fronts.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Exped syn mat 7. a mate blew out an internal baffle and it turned into a tube. then mine did it.
I had the same issue .. makes for a real bad nights sleep. They replaced though

Also issue with trail shot MSR filter .. the rest of MSR filters have been great though

I'll avoid mentioning any other stuff but I've had some of the issues mentioned in this thread here.

Last edited:
9ef1ae99aba5761d9a5cc8c106194927.jpg

JetBoil Sol Ti.