Hallux Rigidus

I have bilateral hallux rigidus which explains my 1st MTP pain. Right > left. I can't blame my boots although it does bother me more when I wear my hunting boots.
For those who have had a cheilectomy what was your recover time? Did you still have residual pain or was it gone after surgery? Were you able to resume full hunting activities or did you have limitations? I hunt Idaho mountains for elk and deer.

I had this in footwear but I'm not getting any responses from those who have had the procedure.

Thanks

Scoot

WKR
I have bilateral hallux rigidus...
Oh man, that sucks! Pretty sure I have a habseus corpus in my e pluribus unum. :) LOL-- sorry, couldn't help myself!

I have no idea what is wrong with you (along with 98% of everyone else), but in all serious, I wish you a speedy recovery.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Recovery isn’t that bad typically. 4-6 weeks. I would expect pain to be significantly improved but may stiff have some soreness at time and you should be able to get back to hunting/hiking. Typically the stiffer sole or insert the better. Haven’t had the surgery myself but I have done them and seen the recovery as an orthopedic surgeon myself.

OP
Mule3006Elk
Oh man, that sucks! Pretty sure I have a habseus corpus in my e pluribus unum. :) LOL-- sorry, couldn't help myself!

I have no idea what is wrong with you (along with 98% of everyone else), but in all serious, I wish you a speedy recovery.
I see your point. LMAO.
AND thank you!

OP
Mule3006Elk
Recovery isn’t that bad typically. 4-6 weeks. I would expect pain to be significantly improved but may stiff have some soreness at time and you should be able to get back to hunting/hiking. Typically the stiffer sole or insert the better. Haven’t had the surgery myself but I have done them and seen the recovery as an orthopedic surgeon myself.
Nice. I'll be hunting 5 months post op so I should be fine. I have Kenetreks boots so that covers the stiff sole. I have a carbon fiber insert but it decreased the space within the toe box causing the STS to contact the upper.
After surgery this may not be an issue and I'll give them another try.

Interesting side note, I put some tape under the 1st MTP head on the insert. Built it up with numerous layers. Essentially, keeping the 1st MTP joint in slight flexion when hiking. Even when going up hills, with the taping technique, it helped keep the proximal phalange from contacting/rubbing against the spurs on the dorsal MTP head even when extended. It worked really well but felt a little strange, not painful, having the insert built up underneath the MTP head. Thought I would share. Thanks