Halon. Mistake?

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hey all. I found a Halon 32-6 in a shop clearing out their Mathews line. Been intrigued by the model since its debut. Seems like the time to try one. Now. In light of the latest flagship models,has the Halon's ship sailed? Test drove the Vertix a couple weeks ago. Hard to say anything bad about it. The Halon was too good a deal to pass up. Has technology passed the Halon by? Not a whole lot like my old LS that's for sure.

Last edited:

ColeKira

FNG
I have a Halon 32 and call me ignorant, but in the grand scheme of things, it only shoots slightly "better" than my 2005 Switchback! IMHO, people fall for all the marketing b.s.. I kill deer with a 200 fps longbow with complete pass-throughs.

PMcGee

WKR
I still shoot my Halon 6. Was planning on a new bow last year so I shot a bunch of the new bows. Wasn’t impressed enough to get a new one. Going to shoot the new bows again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigWoods

WKR
Cams and riser design are basically the same on the newest Mathew's. Beyond that the difference is nuances of balance, the placement of the harmonic damper (double on the halon vs. single out front and low) and a revised grip last year. The Vertix gives you switchweight tech, but many of us opted for the Traverse without that this year for size, smoothness and balance.

I just moved up from a 20+ y/o MXZ and with you, the difference is night and day.

chasewild

WKR
Think of it this way, if every other bow disappeared off the face of the planet, you'd probably be pretty thrilled you had a halon right? Technology is not relative to what others are shooting, it's relative to what we are doing -- and what we are doing hasn't changed since the dawn of time. Go hunt and enjoy that bow.

I love my Halon 30 5. Went to upgrade when vertix and traverse came out and ended up walking out empty handed. Prefer the halon. Ended up getting a RX-3 to experiment with light/carbon bows. I like it but just for shoot ability, I still prefer the Halon.

Used/old model bows are one of the best deals in hunting gear. Right up there with 1-2 year old cars and off road vehicles/toys. Save hundreds on a bow that can do anything you can do and better.

Halon 32 is still a great bow. Like bigwoods said, just slightly different than the Traverse which is a fantastic bow. I have a Halon X Comp for indoor shooting and I changed the grip to an ultraview Jesse Broadwater grip and it is way better than the stock grip. If your Halon 32 has the original grip I would think about changing it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

bowstruck

FNG
I've been looking at the halon 32 as well. Trying to find one used for a decent price, any preferences/input on accessories that work/balance well on the 32?

wolf_MT

Lil-Rokslider
Halon tech is still on the front line in my opinion. Yes small changes have been made but the Halon shoots far better than most bows out there in 2020 in my opinion.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
I've been looking at the halon 32 as well. Trying to find one used for a decent price, any preferences/input on accessories that work/balance well on the 32?

I'm currently running a bare bones configuration. Nothing too techie or complicated. 10" limbsaver stabilizer. IQ Pro Hunter. Old Premier rest. "D" loop and caliper release. I'm sure the Halon 32 would benefit from a back bar. I used kickstands years ago. Like the feel,but not for blind hunting. The bow will out shoot me farther than I can see to accurately shoot. Less is more for me now days.

I purchased a Halon 32 in 6 inch brace as a back up bow, but pleasantly surprised. I normally shoot a Prime Centergy but have not shot them side by side to really compare. The Halon 32 is a REALLY great bow.

Moneyball

WKR
Went from a Z7 (Awesome bow btw) to a Halon 32. Don’t plan on switching until something comes out that really makes me want to switch, which has not happened yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve had my halon 32-6 for just over a year now and it’s a really great bow. I have a axcel accutouch 3 pin for the sight, aae elevate rest, 10 in front beestinger microhex and a back 8 in that I use for indoor and target. When hunting season comes closer I ditch the stabilizers and use the quivalizer to aid with the weight. If you can find one for a decent price I’d say for sure pull the trigger.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Good shootin suminabitches.

30 yards.

40 yards.

Sometimes when sitting in the blind, I wish for a 28" jobbie. But how can I abandon this thing?