Hammer bullets for 300 win mag

SDHNTR

WKR
I shoot 181 gr HH in my .300wsm. Very accurate. But I have yet to shoot anything with them. I must admit, on a conceptual level, I am concerned with one of those petals or fragments being ingested in my meat. How do you guys handle that? Just be extra careful when quartering/butchering to make sure you remove them? Is the wound path or bloodshot meat obvious where the fragments end up? At least when they don’t exit.

Legend

WKR
I shoot 181 gr HH in my .300wsm. Very accurate. But I have yet to shoot anything with them. I must admit, on a conceptual level, I am concerned with one of those petals or fragments being ingested in my meat. How do you guys handle that? Just be extra careful when quartering/butchering to make sure you remove them? Is the wound path or bloodshot meat obvious where the fragments end up? At least when they don’t exit.
No big deal if you ingest copper. They have done x-rays of meat shot with lead bullets and it is surprising how small some of the fragments get. Easily ingestible size pieces.

I am going g to try the 166 in my 300wsm. So far it looks promising.

z987k

WKR
You ingest some of the lead from a lead bullet. Copper at least isn't toxic.

choovhntr

WKR
I’ve shot a few deer with them and haven’t noticed where the petals shed when cutting up the meat. Meat damage has been minimal and everything so far had been bang flop so far. I’ve been pretty impressed with the performance.

Groin

FNG
I run the 174HH in my 300 wsm. I really like them. Performed great on a bull elk at 400 yards last year. Ran 30 yards and tipped over. I'm getting 5/8"ish groups in my Christensen Ridgeline.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I run the 174HH in my 300 wsm. I really like them. Performed great on a bull elk at 400 yards last year. Ran 30 yards and tipped over. I'm getting 5/8"ish groups in my Christensen Ridgeline.

I’ve been shooting the 166g hammers and H4350, I was seeing ~ 3300 FPS and getting great groups with no pressure signs. Still working with it but it’s very promising so far.