HAMMER Bullets Performance on Game

I have done a lot of reading on Hammer loading and it sounds that they are in generally quite insensitive to seating depth for whatever reason. It is nice to potentially have one part of the equation taken off the board when settling on a new load.
Agree. I loaded mine and they shoot lights out. Only harvested one mule deer thus far. My son had a perfect meat saver shot so there was no bang/flop. Too early to tell for us need more samples. Moving forward I will aim for the autonomic plexus.

Same or similar bullet weight? Powder charge similar, different powder, etc? Very interested in this. I love the TTSX but a significant velocity gain is worth asking about.
To give you an idea my previous 30-06 load in my tikka was Barnes 150ttsx over Varget at 2930fps. The current load is a 151 absolute hammer at 3130 fps also over Varget. Did not love the terminal performance of the Barnes but have had great results with the absolute hammer down to 2000 fps which has been the farthest kill I’ve had with that rifle.

7mm mag of my uncles was shooting a 140gr ttsx over h4831 at about 2950fps. He had a heck of a time getting it to shoot 1MOA and none of the faster nodes looked good. We worked up a load with 131gr hammer hunter over rl23 that is 3320 fps and 5 shot group is 1/2” at 100. My buddies 7mm is shooting the same components at about 3200 which is more in line with book max for that weight projectile.

Biggest thing for me has been reliable, more explosive expansion with the hammers and much much easier load development. That being said I also shoot Bergers in my dedicated long range guns. There is a good collection of load data on longrange hunting forum that is helpful to see what you might expect from a particular combo.

Mginn68

FNG
7mm08, 131gr hammer hunters, loaded over Varget at ~3015 fps.

I shot an antelope at 265yd broadside in October - baseball sized exit hole, massive damage to chest cavity. Surprised to see it run 40-50 yards but it was clearly dead before it knew it..

Update from my elk hunt last week - shot a cow in the neck, facing me directly at 70 yards in its bed. It never got to its feet, it immediately slumped over. I didnt closely investigate the damage track but saw that it entered in the 'open space' into the chest cavity and passed between heart and lungs, rupturing the aorta. It ended somewhere in the guts, I didn't explore further :) Best part - no meat damage whatsoever!

These shoot really well for me (0.5 MOA) and perform well on game. I'm a fan!
Awesome. I just ordered 100 of the 131 HH. What length barrel and twist are you shooting? Plan to work up with varget to get in the 3000 fps ball park.

Finally found some lapua brass for my 30-06 and was able to push the 151 absolute hammer a bit faster. Settled on 3230fps from a factory tikka barrel using Varget and cci200s. Brass looks like it will last at least 4 firings based on the few I’ve reloaded 3 times now; it’s definitely a hot load but testing at 100 degrees so it’ll be fine for hunting temps. A pretty lucky one hole group today but it’s definitely proving to be a shooter across multiple range sessions!

C5F6CAB2-ECEC-424C-B44E-DA4D580CE3BC.jpeg

WTS 152 grain Hammer Hunter 0.308
I have 37 new and 12 that were loaded then pulled the bullets but they are o/w flawless.
$47 TYD
Paypal

92xj

WKR
I’ve had great success on deer from 30 yards to 378. And also bears. All fell within feet of impact. All with the 181s 300winmag.
I’m curious how they are going to perform on moose; hopefully the result will be the same.

FEENIX

FNG
That 195 berger would reach the vitals in that picture, as will the 215/230 out of your norma imp.
If the hammer gives you more confidence then that's fine but they will not do anything the aforementioned eld-m, berger won't do.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Possibly the 215 & 230 Berger’s.

But I’m not sure why you would ask me, and have me explain to you actual field data, and then just tell me I’m wrong? I have killed with both. A 195 berger going 3030fps will absolutely 100% without a doubt not penetrate as far as a 169 hammer hunter going 3300fps. I’ve literally killed animals with both at the same ranges. I actually have videos of killing with both and pictures of cut apart deer.

Broadside buck. 30 yards. 195 Berger. No exit. Died In 10 seconds.

Broadside Elk. 330 yards. 195 Berger. No exit. Still alive after 45 seconds. Killed on 2nd shot. No exit.

Quartering away buck. 540 yards. 195 Berger. No exit. DRT

Quartering to buck. 540 yards. 195 Berger. No exit. DRT

So no, a berger will not do the same thing a hammer will. It will not penetrate as far, and more than likely won’t give an exit hole at all.

That doesn’t mean they’re not great killing bullets, but I can acknowledge the differences and downsides of both.
First of all, Berger bullets are frangible bullets and do not need an exit wound to be effective. I harvest an MT bull elk at 931Y with 190 Berger VLD .300 WM at 3043 FPS. I shot him through the chest with no exit wound but penetrated 3/4 of the elk, and all vitals were souped up due to a massive energy dump. At my altitude with a 200Y zero, at 1KY, my set-up has 1751 FPS and 1294 FT-LBS. So your 195 Berger at 3030 FPS will easily outperform my .300 WM set-up with 2030 FPS and 1784 FT-LBS at 1KY. Compared with your Hammer load of 169 at 3300 FPS, it is 1926 FPS and 1392 FT-LBS at 1KY. The numbers you provided yielded a difference of 104 FPS and 392 FT-LBS in favor of the 195 Berger. Cheers!

huntnful

WKR
First of all, Berger bullets are frangible bullets and do not need an exit wound to be effective. I harvest an MT bull elk at 931Y with 190 Berger VLD .300 WM at 3043 FPS. I shot him through the chest with no exit wound but penetrated 3/4 of the elk, and all vitals were souped up due to a massive energy dump. At my altitude with a 200Y zero, at 1KY, my set-up has 1751 FPS and 1294 FT-LBS. So your 195 Berger at 3030 FPS will easily outperform my .300 WM set-up with 2030 FPS and 1784 FT-LBS at 1KY. Compared with your Hammer load of 169 at 3300 FPS, it is 1926 FPS and 1392 FT-LBS at 1KY. The numbers you provided yielded a difference of 104 FPS and 392 FT-LBS in favor of the 195 Berger. Cheers!
Thank you.

Things might have changed drastically if you didn’t include that you were zeroed at 200 yards in all your fancy data, because that plays a huge roll on down range energy and velocity lol.

FEENIX

FNG
Thank you.

Things might have changed drastically if you didn’t include that you were zeroed at 200 yards in all your fancy data, because that plays a huge roll on down range energy and velocity lol.
Not as fancy as your data in your .300 NMI thread on the LRH side, but yes, I zero all my rifles at 200Y.

huntnful

WKR
Not as fancy as your data in your .300 NMI thread on the LRH side, but yes, I zero all my rifles at 200Y.
I do sometimes too. I just thought it was funny that you included it in your ballistic data since has absolutely 0% effect on anything.

Also, you’re not telling me anything I don’t already know. I’ve killed plenty of shit. Berger’s kill excellent, like I’ve stated MANY times. Hammers have a shitty BC, which drastically limits down range velocity and energy, like I’ve stated MANY times. Berger’s do not consistently penetrate deep under all circumstances. Do they need too? Not really, under most circumstances.

Hammers definitely consistently penetrate deep.

Shoot whatever you want and quit being the hammer bullet police. Jesus.

FEENIX

FNG
I do sometimes too. I just thought it was funny that you included it in your ballistic data since has absolutely 0% effect on anything.

Also, you’re not telling me anything I don’t already know. I’ve killed plenty of shit. Berger’s kill excellent, like I’ve stated MANY times. Hammers have a shitty BC, which drastically limits down range velocity and energy, like I’ve stated MANY times. Berger’s do not consistently penetrate deep under all circumstances. Do they need too? Not really, under most circumstances.

Hammers definitely consistently penetrate deep.

Shoot whatever you want and quit being the hammer bullet police. Jesus.
Take a deep breath; there is no need to be defensive. I am in no way telling you what bullet to use but rather, if my .300 WM 190 Berger set-up can penetrate as it did; your 195 Berger set-up can easily outperform mine, as previously noted in #62 by @amassi. I thought we were having a civil conversation, but I guess I was wrong.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
Take a deep breath; there is no need to be defensive. I am in no way telling you what bullet to use but rather, if my .300 WM 190 Berger set-up can penetrate as it did; your 195 Berger set-up can easily outperform mine, as previously noted in #62 by @amassi. I thought we were having a civil conversation, but I guess I was wrong.
Didn’t mean to yell at you lol. Just a little annoying when you’re talking about theoretical performance and I’m telling you I actually killed 7 animals with 7mm Berger’s and they never penetrated very deep. No matter what the numbers say, or how your .30 cal bullet performed at 900+ yards.

FEENIX

FNG
Didn’t mean to yell at you lol. Just a little annoying when you’re talking about theoretical performance and I’m telling you I actually killed 7 animals with 7mm Berger’s and they never penetrated very deep. No matter what the numbers say, or how your .30 cal bullet performed at 900+ yards.
Duly noted, I now know how to move from here on forward. Thanks!

GT7

FNG
Just ordered some 160g 7mm hammers because its all I could get. Will report back if I harvest an elk

OP
T
I just finished my elk hunt for the year and had another opportunity to access the .308 Hammer Hunter 152g bullet. This scenario was a bit different than last years 80ish yard shot. The circumstances presented me with a 515 yard shot across a drainage as the sun was setting. A broadside, first shot struck right in the crease behind the shoulder and broke the off-side shoulder as bullet shank exited. Bull showed very little sign of being hit other than favoring the off-side front leg as he turned and thought about going uphill. As he turned back around, presenting the same shot once more but slightly quartered toward me, second bullet impacted a few inches higher than first and exited; ribs going in and ribs going out. Second shot dropped him. He got back on his feet and I hit him with a third as he was stumbling down hill and caught him in his neck, breaking the spine and anchoring him for good.
The first shot was lethal, in my opinion. Both lungs and broken shoulder and good blood at the exit wound. As most are aware, the idea to shoot until they go down is good advice for such hardy animals.
I have not personally used a more accurate bullet and with calm conditions and the fact I had a large slab of granite for a rest gave me the confidence to take the shot. The bull sounded like a washing machine as my buddies and I rolled him into position to begin breaking him down. The sloshing coming from his chest cavity was very noticeable.

I just finished my elk hunt for the year and had another opportunity to access the .308 Hammer Hunter 152g bullet. This scenario was a bit different than last years 80ish yard shot. The circumstances presented me with a 515 yard shot across a drainage as the sun was setting. A broadside, first shot struck right in the crease behind the shoulder and broke the off-side shoulder as bullet shank exited. Bull showed very little sign of being hit other than favoring the off-side front leg as he turned and thought about going uphill. As he turned back around, presenting the same shot once more but slightly quartered toward me, second bullet impacted a few inches higher than first and exited; ribs going in and ribs going out. Second shot dropped him. He got back on his feet and I hit him with a third as he was stumbling down hill and caught him in his neck, breaking the spine and anchoring him for good.
The first shot was lethal, in my opinion. Both lungs and broken shoulder and good blood at the exit wound. As most are aware, the idea to shoot until they go down is good advice for such hardy animals.
I have not personally used a more accurate bullet and with calm conditions and the fact I had a large slab of granite for a rest gave me the confidence to take the shot. The bull sounded like a washing machine as my buddies and I rolled him into position to begin breaking him down. The sloshing coming from his chest cavity was very noticeable.
Congrats on the bull! Any idea on impact velocity? Must be pretty slow at that range, great test for the bullet.

OP
T
Congrats on the bull! Any idea on impact velocity? Must be pretty slow at that range, great test for the bullet.
Thank you.
According to the Caldwell ballistic calculator my bullet hit hide at approx 2360 fps and 1888 ft/lb energy.
I hunt with a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM and 500 yards is pretty much my personal max range under ideal circumstances. I waited 7 hours for this bull to leave his bed and give me a shot. If he would have stayed in bed for another 20 minutes I probably wouldn't have hung a tag on him.

rootacres

WKR
143 HH @ 3030fps (7 SAUM)

So I chose this bullet solely because of the accuracy. I was headed to AZ for my first coues hunt. I knew the shot distances may be a little bit further than normal and the targets are small. I found this buck on my 7th and final day. Shot distance was ~425 yds. I put the crosshairs right behind the shoulder. The bullet impacted where I was aiming. I was surprised that the deer didn't drop immediately. So I chambered a second round, put the crosshairs on high shoulder and sent it. That one dropped him immediately.

I have now watched 4 animals (3 elk, 1 deer) fall to monos and 3 elk fall to Bergers. Ive noticed that the monos have a tendency to pencil through game when you don't hit something hard. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. When they hit shoulders, they are very destructive. On the other hand Bergers penetrate past the shoulder and basically explode. Also not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I feel like I could make a case either way.

IMG_0342.jpg