Hammer Bullets

mbeavers1

FNG
Anyone have any luck loading for 300 WSM or 6.5 x 284 with these and have some load data? I haven't had much luck.

bhylton

WKR
killed a bull with a 300wsm and 166 hammer hunter this year. I ended up with a slightly compressed load of H4350 loaded at factory length (2.860?). right around 3050fps with a 22in barrel.

Follow the required twist rates from the website closely.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am shooting the 181gr hammer hunter in my 300wsm (9.5 twist if I recall right) with H4831SC, not screaming at 2950fps but should be easier on the brass. Groups well for me. Couple flukes on my end haven't connected with a critter yet.

tdot

WKR
300wm shooting 181 Hammer Hunter over 3100fps and one of the most accurate loads I've ever shot from the rifle H4831sc, 1.5 grains below pressure in my rifle.

Check out the Hammertime forum. You can link to it from Hammer bullets website. Lots of Hammer specific details there.

Definitely follow their advice and load everything with magnum primers. I wasted a bunch of rounds trying to find velocity in some of my smaller cartridges, before I saw that bit of advice.

OP
M

mbeavers1

FNG
killed a bull with a 300wsm and 166 hammer hunter this year. I ended up with a slightly compressed load of H4350 loaded at factory length (2.860?). right around 3050fps with a 22in barrel.

Follow the required twist rates from the website closely.
What is your twist rate? Part of the problem for me is my slow-twist barrel. I have a Sako 85 Finnlight and the twist is 1-11". I have been loading the 166gr with H4831sc and CCI BR2 primers.

Sykes

WKR
I'm shooting the 143 hammer hunter in my Cooper Timberline 280AI with outstanding accuracy. 3120 fps with 4831sc. The combo has taken 2 elk pretty easily, a cow at 75 yards and a bull at 340. I had my load developed in 9 total shots. Steve recommends to start at a safe powder charge and increase by 1 grain per round until you hit pressure then back off 1 grain and shoot a group. Seating depth I'd started at mag length as long as they aren't jammed into the lands. Like said above check your twist rate, hammers are long. Monos perform best at speed so dropping bullet weight isn't a bad thing. If anything call Steve at hammer bullets, he's a great dude and will get you going!

OP
M

mbeavers1

FNG
I'm shooting the 143 hammer hunter in my Cooper Timberline 280AI with outstanding accuracy. 3120 fps with 4831sc. The combo has taken 2 elk pretty easily, a cow at 75 yards and a bull at 340. I had my load developed in 9 total shots. Steve recommends to start at a safe powder charge and increase by 1 grain per round until you hit pressure then back off 1 grain and shoot a group. Seating depth I'd started at mag length as long as they aren't jammed into the lands. Like said above check your twist rate, hammers are long. Monos perform best at speed so dropping bullet weight isn't a bad thing. If anything call Steve at hammer bullets, he's a great dude and will get you going!
Excellent. I have a Cooper M92 in 6.5x284 Norma that I also bought some 124gr Hammers for but haven't really had time to do much with them. I have been shooting 140gr Berger Hunting VLDs out of it and it has been performing pretty nicely so haven't seen much reason to swap out. Now that it has finally cooled off here in TX, I am thinking of getting back out a bit more to the range.

Sykes

WKR
Excellent. I have a Cooper M92 in 6.5x284 Norma that I also bought some 124gr Hammers for but haven't really had time to do much with them. I have been shooting 140gr Berger Hunting VLDs out of it and it has been performing pretty nicely so haven't seen much reason to swap out. Now that it has finally cooled off here in TX, I am thinking of getting back out a bit more to the range.

I shoot the 140 berger in my Cooper Jackson long range 6.5x284 with aweosme results. I have always thought about that 124 hammer in in that cartridge. I bet it will be a wicked combo on all the avalible Texas critters! Those backcountry rifles are great, I had 2 previous to the timberline and JLR

OP
M

mbeavers1

FNG
I shoot the 140 berger in my Cooper Jackson long range 6.5x284 with aweosme results. I have always thought about that 124 hammer in in that cartridge. I bet it will be a wicked combo on all the avalible Texas critters! Those backcountry rifles are great, I had 2 previous to the timberline and JLR
Now you are getting me excited to load some up!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
300wm shooting 181 Hammer Hunter over 3100fps and one of the most accurate loads I've ever shot from the rifle H4831sc, 1.5 grains below pressure in my rifle.

Check out the Hammertime forum. You can link to it from Hammer bullets website. Lots of Hammer specific details there.

Definitely follow their advice and load everything with magnum primers. I wasted a bunch of rounds trying to find velocity in some of my smaller cartridges, before I saw that bit of advice.

What barrel length you running out of curiosity? I'm 24" at 2950. Mine was getting some pressure and compressing the load when up at 3100 so I didn't bother to push it.

bhylton

WKR
What is your twist rate? Part of the problem for me is my slow-twist barrel. I have a Sako 85 Finnlight and the twist is 1-11". I have been loading the 166gr with H4831sc and CCI BR2 primers.
Its a 1-10" Browning Abolt. I ran out of powder capacity before hitting pressure with 4350. the short action magazine makes it tough with the longer bullet. Bullet stability is important for terminal performance. if your shooting inside 450-500yds, i would look at the 166gr sledgehammer as it will be more stable. If your running out of powder capacity before you hit pressure signs, try a faster powder like a 4350 or RL16/17 for more speed

Steve also recommends Mag primers for pretty much anything. they work great in my 270win also

tdot

WKR
What barrel length you running out of curiosity? I'm 24" at 2950. Mine was getting some pressure and compressing the load when up at 3100 so I didn't bother to push it.

26" barrel, I dont recall there being alot more speed above 3100 which is why I dropped down the powder.

choovhntr

WKR
Just started shooting the 181 hammer hunters out of my 300 win mag cooper m92 (24" 10 twist). During my initial ladder test I got to 3180 and started showing the slightest bit of pressure. I backed off 1.5 grains as a result of a possible node and shot groups. .35 MOA at 3095 and a sigle digit SD. Talking to Steve, 3100 was right where there loads are too. Was trying to get to 3200, but didn't want to push it. I haven't played too much with seating depth, and I don't think that I will. Just loaded to mag length and shot. Easiest load development I've done. I'm using 7828ssc right now, but may switch if temp stability becomes an issue. Steve said they used to use that powder, but switched to r23. This was on virgin brass so things may change a bit once the brass expands to chamber. I'm fortunate to have a mag lenth of 3.7 so I can seat the bullets out a little further than a lot of factory rifles out there and still be jumping the bullets a little.

I just had Steve make me a 205gr sledge hammer with a 2mm hollow point for my short barrel 338 RCM. It's kind of in between the hammer hunter and the sledge hammer, as I wanted something with the BC to get me reliably out to 600 yards, as well as take advantage of the heavier bullet capabilities of the 338.

I just had Steve make me a 205gr sledge hammer with a 2mm hollow point for my short barrel 338 RCM. It's kind of in between the hammer hunter and the sledge hammer, as I wanted something with the BC to get me reliably out to 600 yards, as well as take advantage of the heavier bullet capabilities of the 338.
Pics!!! Sounds wicked.

I'm going to see how it shoots and how it feels and possibly go lighter with more velocity. From what I've read it appears that the hollow point solids may perform better a little higher on the velocity side. I'll see what the Bee is pushing these at and go from there. See how hard it...hammers me. The BC on these bullets is pretty good. If i can push them up toward 2700fps, it turns the 375 into a pretty good medium-long range tool. I should get some testing done after the new year.
For my lightweight 338 RCM, I'm also trying out some 200gr hybrid sledgehammers that Steve made for me, that have a 2mm hollow point. Depending on where I end up on the velocity spectrum they should perform really well out to at 600 and possibly farther.

Vandy321

WKR
Anybody have some measurements and pics of a 181 hammer hunter compared to a 215 hybrid and or 225 ELD-M?

Curious about the length of the bearing surface on the 181s...

Have my rifle throated out to load the 215s/225s long...would like to try the 181s for game next year and just curious if I'm going to have to jump them a mile, or if they have the bearing surface to load as long as the berger/hornady?

Here's the measurements on the 215 hybrids...all I could find on the hammers was the OAL

Screenshot_20191221-133516_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The 215's have a short bearing surface for their weight so a custom throat for them isn't particularly long. You should be fine, especially if the hammers like to jump like barnes monos do.

Vandy321

WKR
The 215's have a short bearing surface for their weight so a custom throat for them isn't particularly long. You should be fine, especially if the hammers like to jump like barnes monos do.

Thanks!

To clarify...it was throated for 225 ELD-M, but I've been shooting the 215s at .020 off with room to touch the lands if needed.