Hammer Loading

Tjheal82

FNG
So how important is the Lee FC die? I’m getting ready to load the hunters for a few different calibers and curious if the extra step is worth the time. I’m also new to loading the monos so it’s all a learning process
Please email me at [email protected]. Wanting to purchase your Christensen muzzle brake

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Did you chrono that load?

So finally found my way into a Labradar- more data to come shortly. With 54.7 grains of H4831SC, I'm getting right at 2900 FPS with the 124 HH. I've shot 4 groups so far, all of which have looked like this. Going to try adding another half a grain or so to my charge to get to 2950 FPS and I'll be perfectly happy there if I can keep the way the groups look.

Also of note, since there was some discussion about Lee FCDs, this is the fourth sub MOA load I've come up with using Hammers by just setting my FCD at 1/4th a turn- I'm way too poor and stingy with my components to run a second set of ladders playing with it and that seems to be an amount that consistently improves my groups.

20211222_114132.jpg

fshaw

WKR
Anyone have experience using Hammer bullets out of a .223 on deer?
Thanks.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody here loaded the 109 Absolute Hammers for a 6.5 CM? I'm curious about doing this for a coyote round. I think it would be a very flat shooter. Just not sure what powder to run for it.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody here loaded the 109 Absolute Hammers for a 6.5 CM? I'm curious about doing this for a coyote round. I think it would be a very flat shooter. Just not sure what powder to run for it.
On the load data on either the hammer forum or long range hunting forum guys most guys tried varget. You can always message hammer bullets and Steve is pretty good. Typically gives a range of powders based on burn rate chart.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
On the load data on either the hammer forum or long range hunting forum guys most guys tried varget. You can always message hammer bullets and Steve is pretty good. Typically gives a range of powders based on burn rate chart.
Yeah I did a bit more reading and went with the 110 Hammer Hunters since they recommended StaBall 6.5 for them. I've got a pile of StaBall already. He said 3200fps is easy to hit with that combo. Should be potent on anything from coyotes to bigger deer, or elk inside of the correct range.

Tipps

FNG
Which specific hammer bullet (style) do you guys recommend for the .308 win, if elk were the target out to 500 yards? Think I have varget and RL 15, but not sure if I’d run a 150 gr or 165ish. Appreciate any help

Which specific hammer bullet (style) do you guys recommend for the .308 win, if elk were the target out to 500 yards? Think I have varget and RL 15, but not sure if I’d run a 150 gr or 165ish. Appreciate any help
I do not think you will get there with the 308. I’m shooting 151gr absolutes in my 30-06, very stout load and 500 yards is about max for this setup considering impact velocity and trajectory with some margin for error. You don’t really want to be pushing the envelope for terminal performance on an elk. If you are determined to shoot 500 with your .308 and it’s a long barrel (24-26in), you might look into 155gr scenar loads over Varget. Lots of data on that setup if you search other forums. You need good BC to carry a bullet out there with enough velocity but in general .308 is a little anemic for a 500 yard elk IMO.

Looks like you could get a 150gr hammer going about 2900 with a top end load. That would be 1800fps give or take at 500 for near sea level. Personally I’d like a little more impact velocity and that is assuming the BC is correct.

Just got some hammer hunter .308 180s to try with my .300wm. I’m going to use the starting nosler load as recommended and will be using imr4350 since I have a decent amount to mess around with. Been using Barnes ttsx with good results, but these bullets are intriguing…

Just got some hammer hunter .308 180s to try with my .300wm. I’m going to use the starting nosler load as recommended and will be using imr4350 since I have a decent amount to mess around with. Been using Barnes ttsx with good results, but these bullets are intriguing…
You’ll like them. Compared to Barnes I get a little more “shock” at impact and more bang flops.

You’ll like them. Compared to Barnes I get a little more “shock” at impact and more bang flops.
Good to hear, I’ve had no problem with the bang flops with Barnes myself on deer pigs and an elk. But I’m really interested in the accuracy I’ve heard about with the included flop. Accuracy has been good with the Barnes but they have been very sensitive to seating depth for me and I spent a lot of money figuring them out to pretty good so far. I’ve read the hammers don’t seem to have that issue which would be nice as I’d like to tighten things up a little more and so should be a little easier to put together a great load for the .300wm

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I can push the 151 Absolute Hammer near 2850 out of a 16" barrel with IMR 8208 XBR. Puts me close to 1800 FPS around 450 yards. I think I could get more speed but accuracy and ES were excellent.