Hammer Loading

jb338

FNG
glTaylor over at hammer forums did all this. He is a great help. there is a spread sheet for absolute hammers also. i will download and post it if anyone wants it.

Stalker69

WKR
Man I can’t get this to down load, is there any other way I can see this ? The load data listed above.

View attachment 193920

Went ahead and sent it for my next load development project. Hadn't seen a thread on them in a while, but after listening to the Hunt Backcountry podcast with Steve, it was very obvious that a large amount of thought and research had been put into their design. Anyway, figured I'd start a thread to share end user experiences and lessons learned, as well as some ballistic tests eventually. Any tips, techniques or pet recipes for 6.5 CM, 7mm-08 or .308 with the above projectiles would be much appreciated!
I loaded those 131 grain Hammers for my 7mm-08 the past two years. They shot lights-out from my Savage LWS over 43 grains of Varget @ 3000 fps. IIRC. I mean I got some 1/2" groups from that little 6 lb. rifle. Dropped a couple spikes where they stood. Good rig for whitetails and very little recoil. Would be perfect for a recoil sensitive shooter.

Last edited:
So, they are aptly named. 100 yard group off the bed of my truck. It really cannot be overstated how much load development in the south during the summertime sucks. Gonna see if I can put together a few more groups like that and then do a little terminal ballistic testing.

View attachment 198153

View attachment 198154
Load development in the South in the summer does suk balls. I try to avoid it at all costs. I generally do all my shooting in the winter, even after the season, to be ready for the next season.

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running the 181 Hammer hunters in my 300 WM. 72.0 grs of H1000, Fed 215m primers, and ADG brass. I'm getting 3184 fps and 3/8" groups out of my CA ridgeline. 1 cow elk @400 yds, 1 big muledeer doe @ 443yds and 1 muledeer doe @ about 150yds, bullet performance was outstanding on all 3.

Richard

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Another one for the board. Bottom right are literally the first three rounds I've put through this rifle, after I visually zeroed the optic and sent one at 50 to ensure it was on paper. Don't have my caliper handy but I'll call that at or under 1/2 MOA. Gotta verify, but very stoked on this setup so far.

Savage 110 Ultralight, 6.5 PRC
124 HH
54.0 grains H4831SC
Lapua Brass
Federal 215M primer
1/4 turn with the Lee FCD
0.050" off the lands

20211203_212038.jpg

jb338

FNG
that's why I switched over. Super easy to dial in, that and clean up. No copper fouling. couple patches with #8 good to go.

cmahoney

WKR
Another one for the board. Bottom right are literally the first three rounds I've put through this rifle, after I visually zeroed the optic and sent one at 50 to ensure it was on paper. Don't have my caliper handy but I'll call that at or under 1/2 MOA. Gotta verify, but very stoked on this setup so far.

Savage 110 Ultralight, 6.5 PRC
124 HH
54.0 grains H4831SC
Lapua Brass
Federal 215M primer
1/4 turn with the Lee FCD
0.050" off the lands

View attachment 352787

Did you chrono that load?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twodogs

FNG
Steve thought I would easily being running 3200fps with my 7mm08. I didn't really care to run it that fast, but if that's what people are getting then so be it. Before I go load a bunch of tests that are "hot" I wanted to get a pulse on what people are finding works with Varget in the7mm08. I thought I would end up around 36 or 37 grains, but the last two posters are staying well within normal Nosler recommended powder charges.
I'm shooting the 120 gr. HH out of two 7mm-08 rifles (Kimber Montana and Rem 700 Mtn Rifle). Both have 22" barrels. For the Kimber, I'm running 45.0 grains of Varget at 3188 fps (I got pressure signs at 46.0 grains). For the Remington, I'm running 44.0 grains of Varget at 3120 fps (pressure signs at 45.0 in that rifle). I'm seating both loads in the valley of the first PDR band (2.77" oal), with a 1/8 turn crimp from a Lee factory crimp die (1/4 turn crimp looks great but the groups open up). Both rifles are shooting sub-moa. I'm using both the Federal and CCI large rifle magnum primers.

I work my way up to pressure signs and then drop back a grain in powder. The 36 or 37 grains you mention seems way low. Don't be afraid to try Big Game or RL-15 if you have those as well. They didn't do as well in my rifles but some have had great results. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

lwtickner

FNG
I ended up trying the 169 in my 7 practical (7/300win with 30 degree shoulder) hit 75.5 grains of h1000 @ 3330 fps and dime size groups. Set depth to .010 under my short lr61 mag length. Pretty happy!

I have 143 and 155 waiting for the 7mm saw build on the bench!

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Question for the guys loading hammers, are you using magnum primers in standard cartridges? Thought I saw somewhere that Steve redacted the magnum primer recommendation. Going to be loading up some for my 280ai and 338-06. 155s over RL26 in the 280 and 205s over RL17 in the 338. Both cases will burn 60ish grains of powder. I have both CCI BR2 and F215M on hand.
“We prefer to use magnum primers with most cartridges. I am not as adamant about this as I used to be. Some smaller cartridges will show early pressure signs with the mag primer. If that happens then just switch to a standard primer.” - Steve
https://hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/906/loading-process-hammer-bullets

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Did you chrono that load?

I will on my verification group here soon. Hoping for somewhere in the 3K neighborhood.

“We prefer to use magnum primers with most cartridges. I am not as adamant about this as I used to be.

Just want to expand on this afternoon talking with Steve a few days ago- he said that they've actually gone from "not as adamant about using magnum primers" to "do not use magnums" for the 6.5 PRC specifically. Causes loads to show early pressure signs, apparently. The relatively light load above may show just the faintest ejector mark on one piece of brass and was loaded with Federal 215Ms, so I'm going to load a group with standard Federal 210 large rifle primers and see how that looks.

cmahoney

WKR
I will on my verification group here soon. Hoping for somewhere in the 3K neighborhood.

Just want to expand on this afternoon talking with Steve a few days ago- he said that they've actually gone from "not as adamant about using magnum primers" to "do not use magnums" for the 6.5 PRC specifically. Causes loads to show early pressure signs, apparently. The relatively light load above may show just the faintest ejector mark on one piece of brass and was loaded with Federal 215Ms, so I'm going to load a group with standard Federal 210 large rifle primers and see how that looks.

Unless you have a really short barrel you will have no problem getting over 3K, I get 2940 out of my 6.5 Creedmoor with 124 HH’s.

I loaded those 120 grain Hammers for my 7mm-08 the past two years. They shot lights-out from my Savage LWS over 43 grains of Varget @ 3000 fps. IIRC. I mean I got some 1/2" groups from that little 6 lb. rifle. Dropped a couple spikes where they stood. Good rig for whitetails and very little recoil. Would be perfect for a recoil sensitive shooter.
I wanted to correct this post. I went back and looked at my data and those were the 131 grain Hammer Hunters, not the 120's. The rest is correct.

So 3000 fps. with 43 grains of Varget and 131 Hammer Hunters out of a 20" barreled 7mm-08. That's .270 Win territory right there. And zero pressure signs. Once I hit 3k I didn't feel any need to go further.

bbrown

WKR
So how important is the Lee FC die? I’m getting ready to load the hunters for a few different calibers and curious if the extra step is worth the time. I’m also new to loading the monos so it’s all a learning process

jb338

FNG
lots of the guys that are reloading say the crimp makes a big difference. I use a bushing die that gives 3 thou. neck tension. This is 4 shots at 100 yrds. i'm pretty happy. if you go over to hammers web sight check out butter beans thread on why he crimps. lots of good info and help.

Attachments

• 270 win grou.jpeg
    270 win grou.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 26