Hammock campers roll call

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
After dabbling in hammocks this season and spending 3 weeks this September sleeping on the ground, I decided to go full bore hammock next season.

Let’s see some setups and why you like hammock camping instead of a tent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
5ea6c1beff2a8156279f71e5e328393f.jpg

Very poor pic but here is mine. It’s a homemade hammock and rainfly by my friend out of Utah. It has a sewn in bug net and very comfortable. I’m going purely hammock one season because of its comfort, and versatility.

I know I know, you need trees to set it up but that’s literally the only requirement. You can set up camp in more spots and better spots that are prone to be less windy or visible. The terrain does not have to be flat and you never slide off of your pad or have a rock in your back.

Overall It is about the same weight as a tent setup but I definitely sleep better in a hammock vs on top of a sharp rock on a slight slope.

I’m going to be looking at a different rain fly option, I’d like to get a Cuben fiber setup with wing doors for when it’s real cold or windy.

Shraggs

WKR
E7BB3101-A547-4A4B-B247-E6F5EB8D850C.jpeg

henessy hyper lite, EE 20 degree quilt and under quilt, besr paw dcf 10x10 tarp. 4kbs total.

definitely comfortable on uneven ground. This one is super easy to set up.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
how cold have you slept in a hammock? Any nights down in the single digits? Do you use a pad between your bag and hammock?

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
how cold have you slept in a hammock? Any nights down in the single digits? Do you use a pad between your bag and hammock?

I am new to hammock camping and only slept down to mid to low 30s. A good underquilt is key. No need for a pad.

twall13

WKR
I know there are a few hammock users on Rokslide. I've been using hammocks for most camping situations for about 8 years now and really prefer it for most situations. That said, there is a learning curve and you have to make sure you are set up right and have the basics covered for equipment or you will likely be miserable.

Just last year I made the switch over to a bridge hammock and really like that setup, although it weighs a bit more than my old setup. I still have the old setup but I sleep even better in a bridge hammock so that's my new go to. I typically sleep better in a hammock than in a tent, and better in a bridge hammock than a standard gathered end hammock. I hate sleeping pads as they tend to make me sweat and then I get cold. I don't have that problem with a hammock and under quilt setup.

I've slept comfortably on hillsides and over dead fall and rocks where you'd never get a tent. Some of it amounts to dumb luck, but I've learned as I've gone as well and never been wet in a hammock, even during some windy, tree swinging downpours. I can't say the same for my tent camping experiences. I think the lowest temperature I've slept in hammock was an overnight low of 13°. I'm hoping to do some snowshoeing trips this winter where it gets colder than that.

I typically forget to take photos of camp but I know I have some photos I can dig up somewhere and post on here.

5e0ae6d563e2ec6e6968c075843375d9.jpg
5502808802ac240ba90796052d015ba8.jpg
5d34b299075e37fbb39843252fb34117.jpg
3c3baf64b379ab48390da6231dea0bb3.jpg
425329ce7188be788838b80506c9e19a.jpg

Last edited:
Dutch Chameleon 1.6 11ft
Spyder line suspension (becket hitches)
12’HG DCF Palace Tarp with Doors
EE Enigma 20f and EE Revolt Under quilt.

Might just move to a full synth sleeping system for the wet swamp I mainly use it in. Bit of piece of mind if you ask me.